• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Po'ipu Point Subdivision Announcement [merged]

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got the email from DRI that work on the housing subdivision on Makahu'ena Point is going to start in September. Some of the homes will be in front of the P@P. The email tries to down play the impact on the resort, but for the lower ocean side units in Buildings 3 and 4 there is an impact: the view will be roof top fence view instead of ocean view or partial ocean view.

It sounds like starting in September the area will be fenced in and if they cover the fence the view is not going to be much. The plan calls for 12 ocean front units and 2 luxury single family homes. :eek:

Every time we have been at the resort I have asked about this development and was always told that there was nothing going on, but DRI was watching it closely. Sounds to me DRI got caught with its pants down!:wall:

Of course it really isn't a 'DRI problem" anymore; it is Global's problem now. Hopefully they will be aggressive in pursing this because the value of P@P is going to go down.

What amazes me is that the Kaua'i County Council would ever approve such a development on Makauh'ena Point. I can't see how it would ever pass an environmental study, if one were ever done.

Need to nose around and see if I can find the plat.

Cheers,

Paul

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Point at Poipu/Makahuena development

Ugh....

The Point at Poipu Subdivision Announcement

Dear Owners and Members,

We hope you are enjoying your summer and have had the opportunity to enjoy some well‑deserved vacation time at The Point at Poipu.

We are writing to you regarding your upcoming reservation at The Point at Poipu Resort as we have been made aware of and continue to monitor a new subdivision that is planned near our resort. At this time, we do not believe that this will impact your vacation experience with us, but we did want to let you know of the work before you arrive.

The Makahuena property was conveyed to the United States government in 1907. The current developer CIRI, a for‑profit corporation to benefit Alaska Natives purchased the site from the federal government in 1996. Diamond (or the Association) has never owned this land, and it was never a part of Poipu Resort. The owner of this 13‑acre parcel plans on preparing the site for eight waterfront and two interior luxury single family homes, to be sold in the future.

CIRI has advised that the project is scheduled to begin in September 2016. For the first three months, the project will consist of basic site work including fencing and establishing staging areas. The work will continue in January 2017 starting with grading and re‑vegetating to stabilize the soil. CIRI is only allowed to do major construction work from January 1 to March 31, so not to disturb the migration cycle of the Wedge Tailed Shearwater bird. According to CIRI, a significant amount of analysis has been put into the positioning of the lots, building set back, and space requirements so there is a minimal impact to the view. The developer has conducted an environmental assessment, as well as cultural, soil, archaeological and engineering studies.

We want to assure you that your vacation experience continues to be our highest priority and we are doing our due diligence to ensure that we are well informed of all the plans for this subdivision. We are meeting with the project developer on a regular basis to evaluate the impact on our resort, its owners, members, and guests. At this time we believe this to be minimal, and therefore, please do not change your plans to visit us, but we will continue to monitor the situation, and keep you informed if anything changes.

If you have additional questions, please send them to PoipuInfo@DiamondResorts.com. We will respond to your inquiries as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Homeowners Association Management

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is amazing that the lot stayed empty as long as it did.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 4.21.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 4.21.30 PM.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 335

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
In the map I saw, which I can't find now, the development will not go past the U shaped green area in Denise's map. It should not block the ocean view of the P@P units on that side because the hill with the beacon is too high to see over.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the map I saw, which I can't find now, the development will not go past the U shaped green area in Denise's map. It should not block the ocean view of the P@P units on that side because the hill with the beacon is too high to see over.
That would make sense and would be consistent with other land use decisions in the area and would also protect the Shearwater nesting areas.

Sounds as if the units most impacted will be the units on the west side of building 3. Those units have been the best values at the Point at Poipu, because they are classed as ocean view units, even though they have an unobstructed view of the ocean. If the development proceeds as described above, those units will truly be ocean view instead of virtual ocean front.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Reaction score
The map here shows that three oceanfront buildings will be affected:

http://makahuenaland.com/

That is a very disappointing plan... very sad as we have great memories walking and hiking that entire area. It was the seclusion that made it so special. No doubt the homes built there will fetch astronomical prices, as it is truly one of the most special places on the entire planet; from the USCG navigational marker the sun both rises and sets on the water. There are not many places that offer that.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a very disappointing plan... very sad as we have great memories walking and hiking that entire area. It was the seclusion that made it so special. No doubt the homes built there will fetch astronomical prices, as it is truly one of the most special places on the entire planet; from the USCG navigational marker the sun both rises and sets on the water. There are not many places that offer that.

Yes, and many of the locals walk through here and they will be very unhappy to lose access. The weasel sales guy at Poipu (then Embassy) claimed the land was set aside as open space and could not be developed. This lie was said to us in 1998 after the land had been sold.:(:(

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The map here shows that three oceanfront buildings will be affected:

http://makahuenaland.com/

That is not the map I saw before. The other map had smaller lots, and did not include the land now taken by lots 1-4. I'll be very unhappy if we can't get access to the beacon. We've watched many green flashes and beautiful sunsets from that location.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That is not the map I saw before. The other map had smaller lots, and did not include the land now taken by lots 1-4. I'll be very unhappy if we can't get access to the beacon. We've watched many green flashes and beautiful sunsets from that location.

Last week we were sitting on the lanai of our unit watching Honu swimming in the cove in front of lot two.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plat Map

It looks to me that the marketing piece Wilma posted is our worse nightmare! Not only will there be houses but there is obviously a road between the houses and P@P.:eek:

The part that puzzles me is that the construction is limited to Jan-March because of Shearwater nesting, but when the construction is completed what happens to the Shearwater nesting environment? It doesn't make sense.

I could understand the plat that Art has seen without Lots 1-4, because that does make sense; there would be a nesting area. Not to mention minimal impact on P@P.

I can't believe that this passed any kind of environmental audit given Kaua'i's sensitivity to environmental issues and the shore line. It was my understanding that there are lava tubes under the area where the other lots are and it was basically unbuildable.

There has to be an official plat on file with the County for the building permits. Have to nose around and see what I can find on-line.

DRI/Global needs to get actively engaged here, which it seems they have not been.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could understand the plat that Art has seen without Lots 1-4, because that does make sense; there would be a nesting area. Not to mention minimal impact on Pop

DRI/Global needs to get actively engaged here, which it seems they have not been.

Would love to see Art's plat without 1-4.

Why would Diamond/global care about owners?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would love to see Art's plat without 1-4.

Why would Diamond/global care about owners?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The view from the sales room will not be affected.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last week we were sitting on the lanai of our unit watching Honu swimming in the cove in front of lot two.

We were watching Honu at the same spot last week. Now we're over on Maui at the KBC.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's two pictures I took last week. Neither spot will be accessible after development.

This one was from lot 8.

arch-L.jpg

And this from lot 6.

2016-08-08%2015-43-49-L.jpg

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How disappointing! Not owners but this is my favorite Kauai resort. :(

Deb

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wonder will DRI reduce the weekly point value at this resort, after the construction project is completed?

Yeah - an interesting question. Though the documents that I have with my deed explicitly lay out which units are ocean view, ocean front, partial ocean view, and garden view What happens when an ocean front unit no longer qualifies as ocean front? Do the original declarations stand? If so, what does DRI do when an elite member books an ocean front unit that isn't an ocean front unit, and then complains?

I suspect that there is going to be an increase in Points values for ocean front units. Which would make my grandfathered float-float deed a lot more valuable.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect that there is going to be an increase in Points values for ocean front units. Which would make my grandfathered float-float deed a lot more valuable.

What is their value now? For the last few years after the special assessment and extensive construction, they have had no value and most ebay auctions go unsold. People are still giving away their weeks so you're hoping that after the dust settles from this new construction project that they may be worth $1000?:confused:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is their value now? For the last few years after the special assessment and extensive construction, they have had no value and most ebay auctions go unsold. People are still giving away their weeks so you're hoping that after the dust settles from this new construction project that they may be worth $1000?:confused:

More "valuable" inside the DRI system. I can use my 10,000 point value deeded week to reserve any available unit at Poipu. So I use it to book ocean front (15,500 point value). If DRI were to make ocean front units cost 20,000 points, I would be gettting 20,000 points value from my 10,000 point unit.

On the open market, who knows if they will have value? Prior to the water intrusion float-float deeded weeks typically sold for $1000 to $2000. With the water intrusion out of the way, that float-float week might again generate some value, particularly since it would be a cost-effective way to get ocean front at Point at Poipu.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
What happens when ocean front isn't???
Does that her listed as driveway view?

DRI really needs to get together with local organizations and put an end to this like and Honolua Bay with ML&P!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 223

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
The part that puzzles me is that the construction is limited to Jan-March because of Shearwater nesting, but when the construction is completed what happens to the Shearwater nesting environment? It doesn't make sense.

I can't believe that this passed any kind of environmental audit given Kaua'i's sensitivity to environmental issues and the shore line. It was my understanding that there are lava tubes under the area where the other lots are and it was basically unbuildable.

There has to be an official plat on file with the County for the building permits. Have to nose around and see what I can find on-line.

Right ? How can they destroy the entire breading area?

If you noticed ... The developer did the EIR!

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plat

I got on the Kaua'i County website, but I can't seem to get anywhere unless I have the building permit number. :wall:

Anybody else try?

Will try and call this week and see if I can get the permit number.

Cheers,

Paul

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried looking up the permit for 1645 Pee Rd but none was listed on the county permit site.