• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Poll added - see post 1] Can resorts increase the VALUE of their product???

How much would you pay for an elite AI mega-resort being built in your favorite area?

• Total voters

PortableTech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait... What???

The thread is coming to an end? What will I do with my time now....

Alas, time to head to ebay to purchase another low cost HGVC (Hilton Getto Vacation Club) resort.. Ahh Man!! Another Dumpster View!!!

-- PortableTech

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If I was a betting woman (oh wait, I am) I would expect new action within 7 days or less. ;)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or...

If I was a betting woman (oh wait, I am) I would expect new action within 7 days or less. ;)

... you could instead invoke your "Poohbah Power" authority and (....mercifully) just close the thread. :clap: Please?
If you don't, I think we all know what will be coming next, sooner or later.... :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Poll update: Besides Sally, only [4/62] other people voted that they would pay more than a dollar for "Dream Resort." Not surprising based on the reception that "Dream Resort" recieved in this thread, but hopefully the results were eye opening....

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poll math question...

Poll update: Besides Sally, only 1 other person voted that they would pay more than a dollar for "Dream Resort." Not surprising based on the reception that "Dream Resort" recieved in this thread, but hopefully the results were eye opening....

Denise:
Just out of curiousity, how / why do the percentages on the poll collectively total 121.67%? :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise:
Just out of curiousity, how / why do the percentages on the poll collectively total 121.67%? :confused:

You can vote for more than one option - for instance - I voted for the last 3, and Sally voted for the first 3.

However, I am basing my figure on total voters - not total votes.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it...

You can vote for more than one option - for instance - I voted for the last 3, and Sally voted for the first 3.

However, I am basing my figure on total voters - not total votes.

Thanks. I didn't know or realize that one voter could vote for more than one choice. :ponder:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I didn't know or realize that one voter could vote for more than one choice. :ponder:

Did you read the note in post #1? ;)

I added multiple choices, because there are different price points, and also because people may have multiple reasons for not wanting to buy "Dream Resort."

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Voter Regret.

I added multiple choices, because there are different price points, and also because people may have multiple reasons for not wanting to buy "Dream Resort."
Can I change my vote ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I change my vote ?

I can change it for you, but it won't show your name - it will just change the totals.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Thank You.

I can change it for you, but it won't show your name - it will just change the totals.
OK, great.

I would like to rescind my vote for Would Buy It On eBay For $1

Instead, I would like to vote for I Wouldn't Touch It With A 10-Foot Pole Because I Like The Timeshares I Already Have.

Thanks.

And thanks also for your steady-handed & patient but firm no-nonsense moderational work throughout this entire discussion topic.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry...

Did you read the note in post #1? ;)

I guess I must have missed that, perhaps as a result of having "sallied forth" to promptly employ the (most welcome and often much appreciated) "ignore" function on the User CP to apply to some posters. :rolleyes: :ignore: :rolleyes:

I still stand by my (only one) original vote of "only if offered for $1 on ebay and with low maint. fees".

I too must echo Alan's appreciation for your patience and tolerance. Better you than me... ;)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Alan and Theo - after teaching high school for a million years, you either develop patience, or go postal! :D

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
... For me reading this thread is a guilty pleasure which provides entertainment much like a reality show... :hysterical:

Prickler -- Someone just turned me on to this thread today. I was instructed to read the first page or two ... then could go straight to post 539 for the recap! It was priceless by the way.

I remember the first time my dd turned on Jersey Shore in my presence -- and you're right, there's something just a little bit scary about how I've been entertained by both this thread and that show. Don't even get me started on the little people show ....

Oh ... and I like warm pools too! :D

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose between luxury accommodations or a motel 6, of course I would choose the upscale option... But to me the natural wonders of a destination far exceed anything a developer can offer. The Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Caribbean Beaches, Hwy 1 along the California coastline, East Coast historical sites, Australian Reefs, Lake Tahoe, The Great Northwest, Myrtle Beach, Cape Cod, Old World Europe, Hawaiian Islands, and of course the Floridian tourist trap!!

I agree with you. That is why we always choose the destination we want to go to and then pick our accommodations which may be a timeshare or usually not.

We have traveled extensively to The Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Caribbean Beaches, Hwy 1 along the California coastline, East Coast historical sites, Lake Tahoe, The Great Northwest, Hawaiian Islands, Canada, many others, and of course the Floridian tourist trap!. Many of those places we lived in or close to. We lived in Florida for 8 years and don't like it very much. The most spectacular scenery we have seen was on our trip to Utah. Almost all of those trips were non-timeshare because it didn't suit our preferences. New York City is our favorite destination of all.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Looking at the poll results, I am amazed that people felt they had enough information to actually vote. The value of a vacation is bang for buck; how much do you have to pay to get what you want against other alternatives? The poll only gives up front cost and leaves the yearly obligations and expenses to conjecture.

For example, if I could pay 50K to get my dream vacation and save 10K a year on my normal vacation costs staying at lessor resorts, might do that with a 5 year payback. (AI meaning everything I want in a vacation: luxury, golf, excursions, spa, etc - all included - not just the lodging)

Or is it a better deal to pay 10K upfront for a little less vacation but save 5K a year on yearly vacation expense and with still a better vacation to my personal goals - 2 year payback - not bad.

Or is it a better deal to pay $1 on ebay for a vacation that you can rent maybe a better resort on the open market for roughly the same amount but without the yearly obligation of a maintenance fee - will never pay back cost-wise - lousy deal.

IMHO, there is no way to make a logical decision on the displayed facts - way too short on data.

Mike

Last edited:

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise--Can you please add to the poll buying one for up to $5,000? I wouldn't mind spending up to $5000. A dollar for this type of vacation where it is AI seems a little on the low side, but if it was available for $1.00 I would certainly buy it. :) ($10,000 seems a little high considering some Four Seasons units don't even sell for this...and that's luxury). JMHO.

Anita

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry - I can't, more than 50 people have already voted, so it wouldn't make sense to add more choices now, since those people won't be able to change their vote.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMHO, there is no way to make a logical decision on the displayed facts - way too short on data. Mike

MIke - Did you see post #1 - the poll was meant to relate directly to the type of resort that Sally13 was promoting in the thread - which was discussed in great detail. However, since it is entirely fictitous, there was no way to include real data. That's why I used general terms like "low maintenance fees."

A poll has been added to this thread - you can vote for as many items as you want. The question had to be brief because of the limitations of the format - assume that the resort is the type that's being proposed in this thread, it's in your favorite travel location, and it includes all of your favorite activities. - DeniseM Moderator.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
MIke - Did you see post #1 - the poll was meant to relate directly to the type of resort that Sally13 was promoting in the thread - which was discussed in great detail. However, since it is entirely fictitous, there was no way to include real data. That's why I used general terms like "low maintenance fees."

I understand that; I am not suggesting real data - just enough fictitious data to allow a decision based on understanding the cost alternatives of the fictitious alternatives. Terms like "low" and "high" must have quantitative comparative context to have any value in such a poll.

However, since so many seem able to vote, I am obviously in the minority - But for me, it is quite revealing as to the general mindset.

Mike

Last edited:

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally voted, although I agree that the options listed are somewhat skewed to getting a negative vote for Sally's ideas. (Just sayin', even tho I understand the frustration that generated the poll)

The only AI I have really spent time at was in Fiji, and necessary for the location I wanted. In some ways, I enjoyed the full service pampering, but on a regular basis, do not want to put my money into such an experience. IOW, it was fun for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but I'd rather spend annual dollars elsewhere. If Sally invited me to her fancy resort as a guest (not a bottom feeding exchanger LOL) then I'd have a great time, I'm sure. I have other friends that are all about the drinks at the poolside, personal attention, etc., so I get it that there are differing views on what vacations should be. But I'd be looking for places to go in the area - otherwise I'd feel trapped if I just hung out at the resort - even with multiple exclusive pools/restaurants/etc. I probably would not plan to share vacations with these good friends, as I realise that our desires are different and it wouldn't work, as much as we have fun together! I'm pretty happy in a medium to nice place to rest my head, as it is the location that I'm interested in. I intend to be out and about anyway - not hanging at the pool. (peeing or otherwise) While a nice pool is a fun diversion, it is not mandatory - as I will be at the beach, or out in the wilderness, given my choice. I had just as much fun, if not more so, tent camping in Alaska with bears outside at Katmai National Park, then staying in a high end lodge in Denali to fish and enjoy that area.

The reason I bought TS where I did was location. Period. Otherwise, probably wouldn't have spent the money we did. So, in that respect with regards to the poll --- if the only way to get a certain location was this mega-resort (kind of an oxy-moron) than I'd want it at a reasonable price w/low MF's. I would not buy otherwise, and just rent to visit once in awhile. (as in Fiji - hope to go back, but not an every year or even every other year possibility logistics-wise) I will say that over time, the low end of what I'm willing to put up with has changed, but the high-end places are not really my cup of tea, either. Fun to visit once in awhile, but not as a lifestyle.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the risk of putting words in a moderator's mouth, I think the poll was placed in the thread to demonstrate visually to one intractable participant that their position was out of step from the majority. Not so much to give a dollar amount every participant would spend for every vacation.

But I might be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Jim Ricks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Jim - That was my intention, to get a general feel for the kind of vacation/timeshare that Tuggers prefer.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
scrapngen,

Even though I want top tier luxury and gobs of included amenities as Sally was discussing, I don't want AI in the general sense of included food and drink as I am guessing most people taking the poll assumed. My dream vacation would never include food and drink as we are too picky on both and like to explore too much for fine dining. You assumed logically the poll indicated that; I didn't nor did Sally (I think)

The question really for each to answer is how much of our personal dream vacation can we afford yearly and what is the best cost alternatives to achieve it. The cost aspect meaning the amortized cost of the initial outlay and the monthly costs. Actually, quite simple calculations - but all the alternatives need to be on the table when deciding.

IMHO, the poll doesn't even get close in any aspect - too many assumptions for any meaning.

Mike

Last edited: