• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Powhatan Vs. Kingsgate

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Which would you choose for a week's stay in Williamsburg? I've read reviews until I'm blue. I *think* the biggest differences in the two are the game room at Kingsgate. Both have an activities fee. Both units I'm looking at are 2 Br/2 Ba, with w/d and full kitchen. Stairs aren't a concern...we travel with pack mules...er...children. :) We'll have our car, so not worried about how close we are to public transit/etc.

Which place would you rather spend a week? We've never been to Williamsburg, and are looking at summer 2018. Planning on most of the time at Colonial Wburg and Jamestown, with maybe a day at Busch Gardens thrown in there as a bribe to the kidlets!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are going to be really hot in the summer and if your kids are still pretty young, you will need/want a good pool. Powhattan has a much larger footprint, and is close to New Town, and about 10 minutes to Colonial Williamsburg. Kingsgate is very close to Colonial Williamsburg and a lot of other things. Neither are your best choices for Williamsburg. Both are fine and will give you a good home base. I'd take Powhattan.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, Matt! We trade through RCI, so the Marriott's are not choices for us. Our kids will be finishing 6th grade, finishing 8th grade, and then a college student (if he goes). Powhatan seems to always have weeks available, the Wyndhams less so, which is why my antennae went up when I saw Kingsgate. I'd REALLY love a 3 BR, but those seem few and far between. I am kind of stubborn about ongoing searches...so will stick to what I can see myself. (YES...even though that means leftovers, folks! ;) )

Husband is off skiing with two of the four kids today at Waterville Valley.....will have to see what he thinks when he gets home!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I will try to help here. More than a few years ago, we took a trip to Williamsburg with our DD. She was middle school age. My sister,brave and kind soul, met us in Williamsburg, along with her two preteens and our niece who was 10 and nephew who was 12. They arrived by train, we picked them up at the station as we had arrived by van. We booked a one bedroom at Kingsgate thru RCI and sister rented a two bedroom at Powhatan from an owner. The kids stayed with sister. DH and I stayed at Kingsgate. We took the kids to Colonial Williamsburg during a day and then booked the night ghost tour, of course the kids loved that and they really loved Bucsh Gardens and because we went in August, we took them to Wild Waters too! As far as the timeshares, we enjoyed Kingsgate, but preferred Powhatan because it was more spacious. We went back and forth between the 2. The kids really enjoyed the attractions. The girls went to a teen dance at Kingsgate. At the time Powhatan was renovating the furniture. If we had it to do again we would try to get units together instead of two resorts. So to answer your question. The two resorts were nice, I personally liked Powhatan but Kingsgate was nice too. At the time, Kingsgate was affiliated with Patriot's Place so we were allowed to use facilities there too. So if you travel with 5 preteens and 3 adults, try to stay at the same resort. Have fun!
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The fees at Kingsgate are $6 per day and I believe Powhatan is $11 per day. I think even for the $11 DRI limits the number of devices that can connect to wifi- at least they did a few years ago when I stayed at Greenspring. Also at DRI resorts when exchanging you are more likely not to get a refurbished unit. My boys loved the game room (12 and 8 at the time).

I am wondering if you might want to wait to see if you can get a 3 br at Governers Green (only sunday check in available through RCI) or a 3 br at one of the Kings Creek properties. Neither charges resort fees. You may be losing your opportunity for the 2 BR at Kingsgate if you wait but as you said Powhatten (and Greensprings-also DRI) often have 2 br summer units available even 6-8 months from check in.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
per the last post.....I'd take Kings Creek or Governor's Green over either of the choices the OP started with. I'd take Williamsburg Plantation and the Colonies before both also. I would not stay at Greensprings Plantation. Westgate and Patriot Inn are really good locations, but not really resort styles.

I lived in Williamsburg for 25 years and have family there. If anyone ever wants more information about where things are and what to do, just shoot me a side conversation.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
per the last post.....I'd take Kings Creek or Governor's Green over either of the choices the OP started with. I'd take Williamsburg Plantation and the Colonies before both also. I would not stay at Greensprings Plantation. Westgate and Patriot Inn are really good locations, but not really resort styles.

I lived in Williamsburg for 25 years and have family there. If anyone ever wants more information about where things are and what to do, just shoot me a side conversation.
Thanks! I'll have to take what's available at the time, of course. I've got my eye on Kings Creek, too....there haven't been any units available for summer 2018 there yet. But there's a long time between now and then...anything can happen! My husband and I decided to be patient for now, in hopes that a 3 BR will surface. If not, then it looks as if getting into Powhatan, even this time next year, is not going to be a problem...though I imagine we'd want to have things nailed down by next summer at the latest. WAITING IS NOT MY STRONG SUIT. :)

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave a little bad information in my earlier post. When I said "Patriot Inn", I was thinking of the Patrick Henry (a Bluegreen property). You will see 3BR Kings Creek show up

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have stayed at Marriott, Gov Green, Pow, Kings, and Greensprings. In order, we like M, (Greensp, Gov Green-toss up, slightly prefer Greensp), then a big jump down, IMHO, to Kings and Pow, IMHO. Put in an OGS, you should get either of the Greens.