• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions regarding Smugglers Notch resort

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
My daughter would like us to look into a unit at Smugglers Notch. However she was reading that mostly everything has an additional fee attached to it, even the pools. She would have a 4 year old and 8 year old. She considered August of 2018. She knows she would have to pay for day camp, but what about just the use of the pools? Thanks

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Are you booking through Wyndham (points) or an RCI exchange? If through Wyndham is the owner of the points checking in or will they be staying with a guest certificate?
Apparently everyone has mandatory resort fee based on the unit size- I think it is $30-$50 for the week. There is an additional fee for wifi. If you are staying through RCI, you should have 1 outdoor pool access, based on which village you are staying in. The rest of the pools and waterpark areas require the purchase of a Smuggs pass for the entire time you are staying. I believe it is around $350 per the week- regardless of the size of your unit and the number in your party. Smuggs pass is included on Wyndham points stays when the owner is the one staying in the unit.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Are you booking through Wyndham (points) or an RCI exchange? If through Wyndham is the owner of the points checking in or will they be staying with a guest certificate?
Apparently everyone has mandatory resort fee based on the unit size- I think it is $30-$50 for the week. There is an additional fee for wifi. If you are staying through RCI, you should have 1 outdoor pool access, based on which village you are staying in. The rest of the pools and waterpark areas require the purchase of a Smuggs pass for the entire time you are staying. I believe it is around $350 per the week- regardless of the size of your unit and the number in your party. Smuggs pass is included on Wyndham points stays when the owner is the one staying in the unit.

I would be trading through RCI. I may go and then we would not need a guest certificate. If I don't go, then I would get one for my daughter and her family.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would be trading through RCI. I may go and then we would not need a guest certificate. If I don't go, then I would get one for my daughter and her family.
You will need a guest cert if you are not going with her through RCI but the paid Smuggs pass will be required for access beyond the single pool regardless of whether you go or not.

Summer

In order to fully enjoy your vacation we recommend that you consider purchasing our Summer RCI SmuggsPass. The SmuggsPass entitles everyone staying in your home access to the following activities* and facilities, plus great discounts on our award-winning children's programs and shopping! These activities and facilities are available June 12 - September 4, 2017.

Unlimited Use of 8 heated pools, 4 waterslides, 2 freshwater swimming reservoirs deliver plenty of splash, slide and soak time:
Mountainside Water Park including the Giant Rapid River Ride, Turtleslide and Little Smugglers' Lagoon
Notchville Park with the Twister Waterslide, Lily Pad Walk, and Splashville Splash Pad
Courtside Pool with the Flume Waterslide and 2 hot tubs
Rum Runners' Hideaway, home to our 25-foot Aqua Jump
Bootleggers' Basin, home of the Zume Flume waterslide
Unlimited Use of the Ozone at the NEW FunZone 2.0 Family Fun Complex: including a 55-foot inflatable obstacle course, 18-foot giant slide, life-size Tinker Toys, bouncy house, mini-golf, shuffleboard, ping-pong, and more.

PLUS:
Stretch & Go 1, 2, & 3, Smuggsational Family Social, Sterling Pond Hike, Markos Magic Show, Woodland Mini-Golf, Birds and Bloomers Walk, Family Splashdown, Aqua Aerobics, Bootleggers Basin Wike, Bonfire Sing-along, Forest Heritage Wike, Entertainment with Goodtime Charlie, The Clubhouse, Family Ties I-Did-A-Cart, Woodland Wildlife Nature Wike, Bigger is Better, Watermelon Walk, Aqua-Volleyball, Nature Center, Outer Limits, Teen Alley, Teen Dodgeball Tourney, Liquid Courage Karaoke, Bingo Blast, Elmore Mountain Hike, Mount Mansfield Hike, Bears and Berries Wike, Adult Volleyball, Friendly Pirate's Rain Gutter Regatta, High Peak Tour, River Walk, Prospect Rock Family Hike, Family Pedal Go Cart Race, Family Karaoke, Family Movie on the Green, Vermont Country Fair, Family Foosball, Live Band Jam, All Walks, Wikes & Hikes, Awesome Arts and Crafts, and more!Discounts:

10% off the daily childcare rate at TREASURES.
15% off the purchase of non-sale items at 3 Mountain Outfitters.
30% discount off our Discovery Dynamos, Trail Blazers, Adventure Rangers, Notch Squad, and Mountain Explorer Camp Programs.

All of these activities, facilities and discounts are available to your entire party during your RCI stay at Smugglers' with the purchase of a SmuggsPass. The Summer SmuggsPass cost is $360 per home per week (plus tax) and covers everyone staying in the home up to the occupancy of the home. The SmuggsPass will be prorated for shorter stays. Purchase of the SmuggsPass must include each day of your stay.

Get the best value from your vacation at America's Family Resort by registering for these programs and discounts prior to your arrival. These programs and fees are subject to change.

*Fee based activities such as Massage sessions, Artists in the Mountains, Zip Line Canopy Tours, Water & Wine Trip are additional and are not covered by the SmuggsPass.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the original villages do not have a community pool. I own in Villmarksauna, and that community does not have access to any pool, so a SmuggsPass may be required in order to do ANY swimming, depending on the unit you trade into.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some of the original villages do not have a community pool. I own in Villmarksauna, and that community does not have access to any pool, so a SmuggsPass may be required in order to do ANY swimming, depending on the unit you trade into.
When I stayed, if you were in a Village without its own pool and you did not get the Smuggs Pass, you had access to the Courtside Pool but not the attached waterslide.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol...I own there and it doesn't surprise me that the information given out is not consistent.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What's really crazy is OWNERS in buildings without pools- if they don't buy a pass or renew benefits- they can't use the Courtside or any pool. Ex: Willows

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What's really crazy is OWNERS in buildings without pools- if they don't buy a pass or renew benefits- they can't use the Courtside or any pool. Ex: Willows
I don't know if it can be done now that Wyndham is in control but the time to do something about that was when owners (if there ever was such a time) with an independent HOA could negotiate with the developer to pay for access through MF to one of the pools while staying for their week. Just as all owners pay for the shuttle through MF if you paid for upkeep of a pool than you would have access to that pool. Since the developer kept the waterpark pools separate from the HOA expenses, its theirs to do as they see fit and charge as they see fit.

I often compare Smuggs to Massanutten because in many ways they are similar. At Massanutten the developer kept control of the water park and run it for profit (and to subsidize developer freebies). They have some other recreational activities- jumpie dome, go carts and mini golf that are owned by the the full time owners HOA and is run as a not for profit and costs pay for the amenities. The pools and recreation centers are paid for directly through the HOA's as part of MF's and developer pays a supliment to give direct purchase owners access to facilities even when not staying during their week.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh yes, I get it, but it just seems crazy that an exchanger/ non owner can use the pool without a pass, but an owner can't.

Not my situation but I know of others that are in it.

elleny76

Reaction score
How to get to Vermont from NJ_NYC? where to fly? closest airport? will be interesting to visit one day.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ps Wyndham is technically only in control of sales. The resort is still privately owned.

I am so over all the bs - all the rules and regulations and benefits and rental rules etc.it has gotten crazy.

Next year I am going to try to divest of our ownership either through the Farewell Program or other means. I am appreciating the simplicity of our other Timeshare in NH.

(Don't have grandchildren or I would keep the Smuggs ownership, renew the benefits and so on.)

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
How to get to Vermont from NJ_NYC? where to fly? closest airport? will be interesting to visit one day.
I would think the drive wouldn't be too hard from NYC area (6.5hrs); nearest airport is Burlington VT (BTV).

ETA: have stayed at Smuggs several times, but we tend to go in the shoulder season and have never had to pay for any extras. Only one pool open at that time of year though, so that point is kind of moot.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Vermont is easy to get to from NYC or NJ. In fact- lots of owners and visitors at Smuggs and Vermont in general are from those areas.

You can take 95 to 91 and you are in VT and then I89 and then VT100 to VT 108 and you will get to Smugglers Notch. About 6.5 + hours depending where exactly you live.

The Notch is closed from Oct thru April due to weather so You need to drive you around it.

If you travel to the south Eastern part of VT- like Bennington- the directions would be different.you would go the NYS Thruway to 7 to 9- about 4 hours.

Last edited: