• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI AI deal to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I received this email from RCI today. It seems like a decent deal for someone looking for a budget beach AI vacation. Book through 12/31/16 travel by 9/1/2018. Some holiday black out dates. 5-7 tpus, no exchange fee and $140 per person for the whole week (plus $20 in additional taxes per unit)in a hotel unit.

It's too bad there are no good flight connections to PP from Baltimore. It seems like the only decent flights from here are only to Punta Cana and then only seasonally.

LHVC Will Pay Your Exchange Fee PLUS All-Inclusive Fees ONLY$20USD PP/PD
Special Offer at select LHVC Resorts
RCI® Subscribing Members, call 1.877.968.7476 to book your next exchange vacation at the below LHVC Resorts in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and LHVC will pay your Exchange Fee. PLUS, pay only$20USD per person / per day for all-inclusive fees when you pay within 24 hours of the booking date.*
Participating Resorts
The Tropical
The Tropical at LHVC Resort 6712
LEARN MORE »
The Residence Suites
The Residence Suites at LHVC Resort 6716
LEARN MORE »
This offer is only available through the call center. Call 1.877.968.7476 to book your exchange vacation today!**
This offer expires 12/31/16.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Actually flights aren't as bad as when a looked a few years ago. Back then I couldn't find any flights that took less than 8-10 hours to POP vs the 3.5-5 hours to PUJ. Now there are still no non stop flights but two options to get there in less than 6 hours including connections.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last Tuesday there was a notice on "Secret Flying" that you could book these resorts for $22 a day which was for two people. I knew it wouldn't last long and booked 8 days in November which totalled out with taxes for $208. I had 24 hours to cancel and after thinking about it, cancelled. If it had been anywhere else I might have gone.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
If it had been anywhere else I might have gone.
Why? (if I may ask?) Is there something about Puerto Plato, Dominican Republic, or the specific resort you were considering, that does not appeal? I haven't been to the Dominican Republic but many TripAdvisor reviews are so positive that I've wondered about it.

WeLovetoTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually took advantage of that deal. The bottom line is, for the price you can't beat it. Where can you go for $20 a day? Keep in mind that in some ways you get what you pay for. The resort is beautiful, but be prepared to be treated like the poor cousins lol! The resort placed us in an old room in The Residences. The room was badly in in need of refurbishment. We had trouble with the air conditioning unit during the whole week and had no running water for 1 day of our stay. The food was decent, but you are limited to certain restaurants. The beer was fine, but I could not tolerate the rot gut alcohol. There is a duty free shop on the resort. We just walked over there and bought a bottle. The bartenders had no trouble providing me with juice or mixers. The VIP beach was amazing. We spent a lot of time there. You are limited to certain beaches. The staff at the bars and restaurants and the maids work very hard and are very friendly. The timeshare sales staff was the most aggressive we've ever encountered. We refused to attend their presentation and we're approached almost every morning. We only left the resort 1 time and that was to go to the nightclub that the resort provided transportation to. We were not comfortable leaving the resort to explore the area.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why? (if I may ask?) Is there something about Puerto Plato, Dominican Republic, or the specific resort you were considering, that does not appeal? I haven't been to the Dominican Republic but many TripAdvisor reviews are so positive that I've wondered about it.

We went to the Dominican Republic one time and I will never feel safe traveling there again. It was at an Occidental resort but it could happen anywhere. While we were at the business center checking our e-mail outside of the VIP super special people area that is gated and double locked, we heard two women yelling for help. We looked up to see two women who had been tied up, hobbling out on the balcony yelling they had been robbed. An employee from the business center called for security and it took them almost 20 minutes to arrive.
It turned out that someone walked up the beach, saw a ladder laying alongside of the building, put the ladder up to the second floor balcony, walked in , tied the women up and robbed them at gunpoint.
If we had not been there in person we would never had heard about it. There was no warning put out to the other guests, nothing. The resort acted like it never happened.
I am not even sure if they looked for the intruder. The whole thing was glossed over and swept under the rug. We had been off the resort grounds once to the shopping market located very near the entrance to the resorts and felt very insecure. For that reason I cancelled the trip, its no bargain if you are not safe.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Thank you for your response. No interest here, now. It sounds AWFUL!

DebbieN

Reaction score
We actually took advantage of that deal. The bottom line is, for the price you can't beat it. Where can you go for $20 a day? Keep in mind that in some ways you get what you pay for. The resort is beautiful, but be prepared to be treated like the poor cousins lol! The resort placed us in an old room in The Residences. The room was badly in in need of refurbishment. We had trouble with the air conditioning unit during the whole week and had no running water for 1 day of our stay. The food was decent, but you are limited to certain restaurants. The beer was fine, but I could not tolerate the rot gut alcohol. There is a duty free shop on the resort. We just walked over there and bought a bottle. The bartenders had no trouble providing me with juice or mixers. The VIP beach was amazing. We spent a lot of time there. You are limited to certain beaches. The staff at the bars and restaurants and the maids work very hard and are very friendly. The timeshare sales staff was the most aggressive we've ever encountered. We refused to attend their presentation and we're approached almost every morning. We only left the resort 1 time and that was to go to the nightclub that the resort provided transportation to. We were not comfortable leaving the resort to explore the area.

I noticed this was posted in september of 2016. How long ago were you at the resort? We were told the rooms have been completely remodeled but your post date makes me nervous that that might not be the case.