• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Locations

mjack47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an HGVC owner and have enjoyed several great vacations. Like many of you I am looking for a variety of locations.I have been poking around the RCI website.First are there no major brand name resorts included and secondly all the locations seem remote. For example we are looking at San Antonio and all resort seems to be in the country. For example a major brand Hilton quality resort where I can use my HGVC points, or do I have to go to Hilton Honors

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
When searching RCI exchanges, you can search by "product family." Try running searches for any of the following:
  • Bluegreen Vacations Resorts
  • Hilton Grand Vacations Resorts
  • Silverleaf Resorts
  • Vacation Village Resorts
  • Walt Disney World (for DVC immediate to WDW area)
  • Worldmark by Wyndham Resorts
  • Wyndham Vacations Resorts
As for "remote" and "in the country" -- that is often true. As a broad, sweeping generality: Hotels in the City; Timeshares in the Country. The legacy reasoning: Hotels in the City serve business folks on business travel; Timeshare in the Country serves families getting away from everything for vacation. (Again, these are sweeping generalities. Yes, we are seeing an uptick in Timeshares in city locations -- especially cities with specific recreational appeal: arts/theatre, major sea port, historical interest, etc.)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
First take a look at the tips in this recent thread.
How to best use RCI (2017) - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-best-use-rci.259737/

From the RCI Resort Directory - https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing
Wyndham La Cascada (#A201) - https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=A201
San Antonio, TX 78204, USA
RCI POINTS RESORT/ RCI AWARD: GOLD CROWN
RCI RESORT DESCRIPTION: "Wyndham San Antonio at La Cascada is located along the famous River Walk on Dwyer Avenue, less than two blocks from the downtown River Walk loop. This resort offers you the best of both worlds: more on-site amenities and unit choices than you will find in most urban area resorts, a convenient location close to the River Walk complex, the Alamo, the Zoo and museums. There is also an amusement park nearby. It is an ideal blend of resort-style fun and urban enjoyment!

Wyndham Riverside Suites (#C406) - https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/resortDetails?resortCode=C406
San Antonio, TX 78205, USA
RCI POINTS RESORT / no RCI Award designation
RCI RESORT DESCRIPTION: "Wyndham Riverside Suites, is located in the heart of the downtwon River Walk area. This will provide shopping & entertainment within walking distance. This historic Urban style resort is near Art Galleries, Theaters, Museums, Bistros, Restaurants, Boutiques and Nightclubs. You can also enjoy fishing, biking, & horseback riding nearby. This highly sought-after location on the banks of the River Walk is less than 2 blocks from the Alamo in downtown San Antonio. This charming historic building assures you a friendly and comfortable stay."

RCI POINTS resorts can deposit stays in both RCI Points and RCI Weeks Inventory.

NOTE: With RCI, it's wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).
From the TUG Resort Ranking and Reviews Database - https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?USA - Central | Texas&area=5&group=53
Wyndham La Cascada has 27 reviews and a ranking 8.47 out of 10
Wyndham Riverside Suites has 22 reviews and a ranking 7.79 out of 10

Using the TUG Search function and searching on the word "Cascada" found several threads

Both resorts have been sighted on the TUG Sightings forum - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/
I know I've seen Cascada in RCI - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rci-weeks-wyndham-la-cascada-7-31-8-7-one-bdrm.237109/
Wyndham does bulk deposits as well - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/wyndham-bulk-bank-feb-18.259334/
It looks like Riverside deposits in both RCI and Interval International. Sometimes that can be an issues where one exchange companies gets more deposits than another.

Once you have decided on which timeshare(s) meet your vacation needs, setup an ongoing RCI exchange request for your desired travel window and search online as well since these are RCI Points resorts.

Good Luck

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am a HGVC, a Wyndham and a Holiday Inn Club Vacation(HICV) member. So I know what HGVC is like and what these TX choices compare to that.

Very few Wyndham San Antonio La Cascada resort show up in RCI weeks inventory, I haven't checked Points inventory much since I own Wyndham points that is usually my avenue, but I have been known to pick up good deals on the week side of RCI. What I have seen is off season 1 BRs at best. This whole resort is Wyndham Points only owners. No fixed weeks at all.

Riverside Suites has a longer more convoluted history, even before Wyndham got in the game there. I believe it is dual II and RCI. I think II gets more of the units that are not participating in the Wyndham points, I do believe Wyndham points participation is not the majority of this resort. I think there are a majority of fixed week owners.

Both of these are downtown San Antonio.

There are several Worldmarks by Wyndham that are more countryside, but the New Braunfels location is close to Gruene, New Braunfels and San Antonio and makes a great base. Holiday Inn Hill Country (formally silverleaf) is also countryside but is also a great base.

Since I live in TX, I have stayed at all of the Wyndham's and Worldmarks, and most of the Holiday Inns timeshares in Texas.

I would stay at any of the Wyndhams or Worldmark's if you could pick them up. All do have good bases for area trips. The most isolated in the Hunt location called WM Spicewood Springs. Nice units, nice views, but in the middle of nowhere but close enough the West End of the Texas Wine Trail to make it worthwhile. You might get lucky and see a few of these Wynd or WM in RCI from time to time, but on OGS might be more useful for these locations.

Holiday Inns that were formally Silverleafs are great if you can get a presidential 2 BR 6/6 configuration or a 3 BR Ambassador 10/10 configuration. I would avoid lodge units 2 BR 6/4 configurations. There are a LOTof HICV (former Silverleaf locations) to be had in the weeks inventory. The other NON former silverleaf HICV in Galveston is a more consistent choice and any unit would be great there, but it only has inventory in the points side of RCI.

I just did an RCI week booking at the WM Marble Falls location and it was a great base. There are a lot of things to do all within an hour of that location.

PM me if you want some specifics.

Last edited:

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Wyndham La Cascada in San Antonio turns up fairly regularly online. We have stayed for 7 nights in one bedroom units as follows:

February 2015 (booked July 2014)
January 2016 (booked May 2015)
February 2017 (booked January 2017)
August 2017 (booked January 2017)

I think only one of the stays was found with an ongoing search. It definitely pays to look online for your favorite cities and resorts a few times a week.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wyndham La Cascada in San Antonio turns up fairly regularly online. We have stayed for 7 nights in one bedroom units as follows:

February 2015 (booked July 2014)
January 2016 (booked May 2015)
February 2017 (booked January 2017)
August 2017 (booked January 2017)

I think only one of the stays was found with an ongoing search. It definitely pays to look online for your favorite cities and resorts a few times a week.

For Texas, that is mostly off season 1 BRs in my book, as I said. Aug if it the last 2 weeks of Aug is off season here. Kids are back in school and its too stinking hot to do anything still. Jan/Feb is variable from 35 to 80, very unpredictable.

mjack47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow what a great source of information and advice from these veteran Tuggers. You guys are great and never disappoint.. This is my first try with RCI I,m going to give these San Antonio resorts a shot. many more happy vacations to you.

Mario2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Anderson
I just did something similar, tried RCI to change things up. We were mainly looking for a location we can drive to. Like you stated, we couldn't find any locations in major city centers. To be fair, I'm not sure if it's because we are trying to book late in the cycle?
After finding a location that had a reasonable price (in some cases, we found it was cheaper to book direct than via RCI) we booked the location. At the last part of the booking transaction, we got surprised with a HGV Club RCI Reservation fee of $230.

At no point during the pre-booking did it even mention this fee. HGV charges a booking fee but it's more like $50.

Finally, at the end of the transaction, the site offers us a chance to upgrade or make changes after we pay another fee. But no where does it mention what that fee is, unless you initiate the change/upgrade process. So, I'm going to be calling the HGV folks on Monday to inquire.

Attached are the 2017 HGV RCI reservation fee schedule.

Attachments

• HGVC-fee-chart.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 176

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Finally, at the end of the transaction, the site offers us a chance to upgrade or make changes after we pay another fee. But no where does it mention what that fee is, unless you initiate the change/upgrade process.

The RCI upgrade fee after booking is $49.

I don't understand this part of your post:

(in some cases, we found it was cheaper to book direct than via RCI)

So it was less than $230 to book a unit for the week when paying all-cash? Or maybe you are comparing your annual maintenance fees to the all-cash price?

Mario2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Anderson
Sorry for not being specific. It was comparing my annual maintenance fees to the all-cash cost if I reserved outside of RCI. I was pretty much paying $750 for $500 worth of value. Then add in the transfer fee and additional booking fee of $230 :-(