• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting our week direct through timeshare company question.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I just purchased a resale in HH from Marriott. I know they'll rent our week for us on the off chance we won't use our week in our season one year. My question is does anyone know about what percentage of the rental amount they keep? We would be renting Easter week, maybe every few years....

Any info is appreciated...

Dee

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have no idea. But if you don't get an answer here I'd suggest you just ask them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott keeps 40%. Also, they may or may not be willing to rent your week. One year I asked at a different resort, the response was that they were not taking any rental for that resort at that time.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Marriott no longer keeps 40% on rental, that stopped several years ago. They now want an unreserved week and will offer you an upfront payment based on your resort and season. I am not sure if anything other than a platinum ocean view or ocean front would even cover MF and they may make a little over but no where near even owner retail. I think I was offered about $700 for a platinum 2 br Orlando week and about $600 for a gold garden view week at Barony during years when the MF was closer to $1000.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott no longer keeps 40% on rental, that stopped several years ago. They now want an unreserved week and will offer you an upfront payment based on your resort and season. I am not sure if anything other than a platinum ocean view or ocean front would even cover MF and they may make a little over but no where near even owner retail. I think I was offered about $700 for a platinum 2 br Orlando week and about $600 for a gold garden view week at Barony during years when the MF was closer to $1000.
I believe this may just apply to US MVC resorts, it is certainly different in Europe (or was last year anyway) where generally they are not interested in taking owner weeks for rental.
Even if they are, they will not guarantee the rental with an up front payment and you could end up finding you just get payment for a few days of the week you are offering for rental.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes. European rental procedures would be different.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
In 2015 Marriott offered me $710 rental for my 2016 Plat MOC one bedroom week.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
In March 2014, I submitted my 2015 week for Ko Olina 2BR OV for their rental program. They offered $1770 for my week. This was back when the the MF for 2015 was $1951.84. In 2015, the MF broke out to $1552.30 for Operations, $241.43 for Reserves, and $151.11 for Taxes. I declined their offer however for a $180 difference, it wasn't that bad if I really needed the money and couldn't use the week. My guess is that they would also report any proceeds to the IRS and may be subject to taxation.

I will likely submit my 2019 week for the rental program just to see how much they are offering now.

**********************************************************************************
Dear Steven Ting:

This letter is to confirm you have selected to rent your 2015 Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club week, Platinum season to Marriott Vacation Club for a rental fee of $1770*.

Please complete and sign the form below in its entirety then return it postmarked by March 20, 2014, to:

Marriott Vacation Club International
Attn: Rental Department
310 Bearcat Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
USA

We will also accept the form by fax 801-832-4529. If you would like to receive your rental amount via electronic funds transfer (EFT) U.S. Banks only. Please click here to download our EFT authorization form. Return the completed EFT authorization form with the Rental Acceptance form below. Either an EFT for the rental amount will be initiated or a check for the rental amount will be mailed to you in two to three weeks (four to eight weeks for International Owners) of receipt of the signed Rental Acceptance Form within the required time period listed above.

Please note that once the Rental Acceptance Form has been signed and returned to Marriott Vacation Club, you no longer have the right to cancel it. If the Rental Acceptance Form is not returned within the required time period, please be aware your rental reservation may be canceled. If you have any questions regarding the Rental Acceptance Form, please call 800-443-4391.

Thank you,
g3FqTyZrSVq61210NqDLntU7mLIji6QzteceSQKUEUPTvWxilhu6hCKwkCfp30P6oPKk8wgryxRfCtdU2_G56l0y_KtLAYVvHVtVxpwW7FMObSU8xVGg_F0md_GaOAhNUWad=s0-d-e1-ft

Manager, Owner Relations
gyszQleIvygx8e4oeNgPd7IR5FslEUzxg199VnoEEnlEnMvj7yB9_TmFBlk48HIYRWg455gCPQfUjkDcTmcRG0XRjGGZWircyK2JJwafnbo=s0-d-e1-ft

*This amount is net before taxes, including a 1.3% Aruba Tax withholding for Aruba rentals only. If Owner is a non-resident alien (as defined under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code), Marriott Vacation Club is required by law and current international tax treaties to withhold thirty percent (30%) of the rental proceeds, and such amount shall be deducted from Owner's rental proceeds and handled as required by the Internal Revenue Service. If Owner is a non-resident alien, any proceeds from this transaction will be reported on a Federal 1042-S Form. Forms to file with the Internal Revenue Service can be obtained through a United States Consulate or directly with the Internal Revenue Service. If Owner believes an exemption or reduction from withholding applies, or that the applicable regulations changed after acceptance of this Agreement, Owner should submit all documentation to Marriott Vacation Club International for consideration. If Owner is a U.S. person (including a resident alien), pursuant to Revenue Ruling 54-571, C.B. 1954-2 (235), any proceeds from this transaction will be reported on a Federal 1099 Miscellaneous Income Form and will be subject to taxation in accordance with current Federal Tax Law. In addition, any unpaid fees to the Association may be deducted from this amount, if applicable.

PLEASE NOTE: The Social Security Number provided on the Rental Acceptance Form must be that of the individual who is executing the Form and said individual must be reflected on the title of the timeshare estate being rented. The individual signing the Rental Acceptance Form warrants that all owners of the timeshare estate being rented have authorized the execution of the Rental Acceptance Form. If said individual is a Resident Alien, then he/she may provide an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Corporations and other businesses must provide their Employer Identification Number in the W-9.
gyszQleIvygx8e4oeNgPd7IR5FslEUzxg199VnoEEnlEnMvj7yB9_TmFBlk48HIYRWg455gCPQfUjkDcTmcRG0XRjGGZWircyK2JJwafnbo=s0-d-e1-ft

03DICKAPpu8IMX1WgwFQjep7FatzVb33ZJJ1kqkwiTqo7f9-9RCtkvDxcL_4KnJeKBv8pDPtdgAyi0PKoUI-IovRYeHBVNfbSxNpf_CKFYsVU462VYvk78rPUdCEw7g=s0-d-e1-ft

I, ______________________________ have selected to rent my 2015 Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club week, Platinum season usage to Marriott Vacation Club for the agreed amount of $1770*. By signing this Rental Acceptance Form I agree to all the provisions included in the letter accompanying this Form and warrant that all information below is accurate. Once this form is signed and returned to Marriott Vacation Club I no longer have right to cancel it.

Signature:__________________________________________________

Please complete the following:

Name: ____________________________________________________________________

Business name (if different from above):__________________________________________

Check appropriate box: Individual/Sole proprietor Corporation Partnership Other

Address:___________________________________________________________________

Social Security Number (if an individual): ___ ___ ___ - ___ ___ - ___ ___ ___ ___

Tax Identification number (if an entity): ___ ___- ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Questions or comments about your Marriott Vacation Club Ownership? Please visit My-VacationClub.com.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. If I ever rent i will most likely try to do so on my own before going through Marriott.

We will see.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can always ask them what they are offering. You aren't obligated to take the offer. They will give you a window to accept. If you pass the deadline you could ask again but it may or may not be the same offer.