• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reserving at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Napili

taffy19

Reaction score
I remember that Lawlar owned a 2 BR fixed week/unit on the first floor in the Lahaina tower and loved the first floor in the Lahaina tower. See post #2 in this thread. The first picture is in front of the Lahaina tower and is safer than owning in front of the Napili tower because it is right in front of the pool. It would be a worry if you have a toddler so you would have to be extra careful.

You need to be on a higher floor to see an unobstructed view. The 3 BR condos are beautiful but a 2 BR fixed week/unit will be cheaper. They are on the two highest floors in the Napili tower (green color). Please, have a look here for the Lahaina tower (Picture #7).

i-dWj3gPs.jpg

Post #38 in this thread will show you pictures of all the Marriott's Hawaiian resorts by different TUGgers who have visited the resorts.

The Hilton will have a resort in Kihei one day but if you like Princeville, you may want to check the Vistana resorts. They have one there plus they have three resorts in Maui too. Take your time because re-sale prices seem to move lower year after year.

IF you have to be there for a specific week you may end up having to overpay for the fixed week option. Since you only needed the specific week for a couple of years that's likely not a great plan. You'd come out ahead $$$ without the fixed week but you'd have stress in the interim. A second week of some type you could use to get the 13 month window would really help as would trust points but there's cost there. What would I do in this situation needing a specific week and putting a priority on OF options, I'd likely just rent there or a similar condo. I fear you're basically trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If you're willing to compromise then decide whether it's week or view type that you're OK giving up (or both).

If you really have to have that week AND you have the financial ability, I'd suggest considering the 3BR OF unit that is listed on Redweek. They're asking $49k but I think that price is negotiable. It appears to be a 1st floor unit so that could be a positive or negative, depending on what you're looking for. This way you'd always have week 32 each year and can plan your trips. I got tired of trying to chase down Maui weeks that I just bought 2 fixed weeks instead.

taffy19

Reaction score
Seems there's room for a lot of gamesmanship by Marriott there. If they want to make DC points seem necessary or more valuable, all they have to do is shift more inventory to that bucket, and after a couple of years of points people saying they got just what they wanted, and weeks people venting frustration, they'd see points sales go up and weeks go down. Moreover, as more and more points owners are out there, seems Marriott would naturally shift more and more inventory to the points bucket.

Question -- are all points equal? Does it matter if you buy your points from Marriott at about $13.50/pt vs. secondary market at about $8/pt?
From what I understand is that the highest tier can only be a small percentage. I believe that it is 5%. If they reach that, they will fabricate a higher tier with more advantageous perks so people will have to buy more points to qualify for the newest perks.

It was buying more weeks from the Marriott direct in the past but you could buy re-sale weeks too and still have the same reservation benefits but you didn't qualify for the MRPs instead. In the beginning this perk was very valuable but it was devalued over the years so buying a re-sale week was a better deal.

All the major hotel brand developers seem to fabricate higher tiers because it will give them an income stream from the current customers besides selling to new customers too. The caveat will always be "if available" so you need to be timely and organized to compete. Give me a fixed week/unit any time or just rent.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually looking at that. Would love to hear more about Waiohai. Why do you actually prefer it over Napili? Is it on the beach?

And, an obvious question, what about Marriott's other Kauai property, the Beach Club?
The Koloa/Poipu area where Waiohai is located and Kauai in general is more low key and relaxing than Maui. To overgeneralize for a moment, it is more lush Hawaiian island paradise and less tropical tourist destination. Waiohai is more spread out than MOC with shorter buildings. The interiors of the villas are on par with Napili/Lahaina though relatively few rooms at Waiohai have the amazing views that are common at MOC. If it matters to you the vast majority of the units at Waiohai are 2BRs with no lock-offs.

Waiohai is on Poipu beach which is smaller and more wildlife intensive than Kaanapali. There is good snorkeling literally steps from the resort and I've seen turtles and monk seals on the beach. Poipu frequently makes 'Best 10 Beaches in the World/US' kind of lists.

I really can't speak to Kauai Beach Club except to say that it is a converted hotel in Lihue. More convenient to things like Costco but the nicer beaches on Kauai are on the South and North coasts.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read in your first post that you were trying to purchase an oceanfront condo in the Napili tower. If you really want to own oceanfront, then it will be just as hard to get this at the Waiohai because owners there own multiple weeks too and are staying in the oceanfront condos or they rent them out.
The view issues at Waiohai have their own long threads. One problem is that unlike at MOC and some other MVCI resorts there is no 'Ocean Front' category - the villas in Hale 1 & 8 that are OF are lumped into the Ocean View category.' The other is that many of the 'Ocean View' units in Hale 5, 6, & 7 became 'Parking lot view with Ocean in the distance' after later construction adjacent to the resort. As a two week Waiohai OV owner I've only been given the OF villas once. On the other hand, I've never had to put up with a 'parking lot view' - I usually get the 'Lush gardens, pools, and waterfalls with ocean in the distance' view.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got tired of trying to chase down Maui weeks that I just bought 2 fixed weeks instead.
Lastly, I suggest that you not immediately discount StevenTing's advice. If you can pick a week you want and can afford the upfront price, fixed weeks are perhaps the best value at MOC. Not only are you guaranteed your week and villa but you are also guaranteed that changes in the MVCI booking system, II, DPs, and whatever else won't affect the value of your unit. You're only really affected by the more macro trends of the price of OF luxury accommodations, Hawaii travel, the economy, etc.

If I had it all over to do again knowing what I do now I might well have gone that route. That said, I would have a President's Week villa that I would have enjoyed for a decade and would now be wondering what to do with as our travel pattern has changed. YMMV.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whilst Points inventory is increasing over time relative to Weeks inventory, that is just down to more people buying more Points.
They remain totally separate inventory buckets.
MVC can't just move Weeks inventory across into Points inventory.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the simplicity (and lower cost) of the Hilton points system spoiled me. Need them to open a location in Maui. :D
It probably would be best for you if you did buy Hilton points at a Maui resort (if available) but getting in not owning there might be an issue. I believe with HGVC you have a priority reservation window. But other Hilton owners would have likely the same or a worse problem.

Seems there's room for a lot of gamesmanship by Marriott there. If they want to make DC points seem necessary or more valuable, all they have to do is shift more inventory to that bucket, and after a couple of years of points people saying they got just what they wanted, and weeks people venting frustration, they'd see points sales go up and weeks go down. Moreover, as more and more points owners are out there, seems Marriott would naturally shift more and more inventory to the points bucket.

Question -- are all points equal? Does it matter if you buy your points from Marriott at about $13.50/pt vs. secondary market at about $8/pt?
There's room with gamesmanship and frank dishonesty with any timeshare, playing in their sandbox is giving up significant control and a vote of confidence in their system with $$$. They can't just shift inventory around without being dishonest. They can sometimes take inventory they own and have more control of that.

Lastly, I suggest that you not immediately discount StevenTing's advice. If you can pick a week you want and can afford the upfront price, fixed weeks are perhaps the best value at MOC. Not only are you guaranteed your week and villa but you are also guaranteed that changes in the MVCI booking system, II, DPs, and whatever else won't affect the value of your unit. You're only really affected by the more macro trends of the price of OF luxury accommodations, Hawaii travel, the economy, etc.

If I had it all over to do again knowing what I do now I might well have gone that route. That said, I would have a President's Week villa that I would have enjoyed for a decade and would now be wondering what to do with as our travel pattern has changed. YMMV.
It depends on the needs of the individual. Someone who needed a given week consistently should consider it but the OP was only needing a specific week a couple of years I believe. In that case it might be a curse rather than a blessing. They could rent the week needed for 2 years for the difference or instead of buying. Then it just comes down to price and availability, easy choice with minimal price difference but likely not reasonable for many for a large price difference. I haven't tracked Maui prices so I can't say much there but I am having flashbacks to Crystal Shores retail prices.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
All great information. Thx. I suppose its like a lot of things. Do your research. Make your best choice among the options. Move forward with no regrets.

For me, I just don't see points having the value. I'm not a last minute traveler. Have to schedule work, someone to care for the dogs, etc., and if we're bringing some of the grown kids, they too have to schedule. So, we always plan ahead.

Based on all the info here, I think I see the door to solving this for us, and it's really quite simple. In those next few years where we need to travel during prime time, we just flip the order and go to Maui first, then Oahu, and probably give up one day as the "cost" of it all. It appears that if one owns one week in the Napili/Lahina tower, a Sunday check-in is generally accessible even at the 12-month window, it's the Saturday check-in that's difficult to get. All Hilton home-weeks are Sat-Sat. So, if I don't get Saturday, we go into Maui on Sunday, and stay 6-nights instead of 7, then to Waikiki. (Or 7 in Maui and check into the Hilton a day later.) Small price to pay for two weeks in paradise. <g>

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All great information. Thx. I suppose its like a lot of things. Do your research. Make your best choice among the options. Move forward with no regrets.

For me, I just don't see points having the value. I'm not a last minute traveler. Have to schedule work, someone to care for the dogs, etc., and if we're bringing some of the grown kids, they too have to schedule. So, we always plan ahead.

Based on all the info here, I think I see the door to solving this for us, and it's really quite simple. In those next few years where we need to travel during prime time, we just flip the order and go to Maui first, then Oahu, and probably give up one day as the "cost" of it all. It appears that if one owns one week in the Napili/Lahina tower, a Sunday check-in is generally accessible even at the 12-month window, it's the Saturday check-in that's difficult to get. All Hilton home-weeks are Sat-Sat. So, if I don't get Saturday, we go into Maui on Sunday, and stay 6-nights instead of 7, then to Waikiki. (Or 7 in Maui and check into the Hilton a day later.) Small price to pay for two weeks in paradise. <g>
I doubt one day will be that much easier to reserve than another so I'm not sure that fixes your issue. Having done the research and working through the issues, you'll make a much better decision but it's likely not going to be perfect. I think the other side to this is you have to decide what happens if you can't reserve at all for a given year or you have work/medical issues that keep you from traveling that year.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I doubt one day will be that much easier to reserve than another so I'm not sure that fixes your issue. Having done the research and working through the issues, you'll make a much better decision but it's likely not going to be perfect. I think the other side to this is you have to decide what happens if you can't reserve at all for a given year or you have work/medical issues that keep you from traveling that year.
Easy... I take two separate trips to Hawaii for a week each. :D But, here's my thinking. This year I was trying to get (through the seller) a mid-August week, Sat-Sat. I assume mid-August, right before school starts, is pretty much prime time. Probably not many times with more demand. Maybe New Year. Spring Break. They were able to get Sunday check-in. So too was a friend of mine that owns there. Same week. They wanted Sat Aug 11-18, but got Aug 12-19. So, that's two that were available Sunday Aug 12. That's why I think one day may be that much easier to reserve. Could be just this time. Don't know. But that's my thinking.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Easy... I take two separate trips to Hawaii for a week each. :D But, here's my thinking. This year I was trying to get (through the seller) a mid-August week, Sat-Sat. I assume mid-August, right before school starts, is pretty much prime time. Probably not many times with more demand. Maybe New Year. Spring Break. They were able to get Sunday check-in. So too was a friend of mine that owns there. Same week. They wanted Sat Aug 11-18, but got Aug 12-19. So, that's two that were available Sunday Aug 12. That's why I think one day may be that much easier to reserve. Could be just this time. Don't know. But that's my thinking.
As I said, I doubt you'll find that much difference between them. I think most resorts sold more Saturday than any other but also have a higher demand. The week in question is lower demand than some of the ones earlier in the summer, how much and whether it'd enough to make a real difference, I can't say. Just think it through and look at the variables including if things don't work out. IF you're OK with 2 separate trips and the Maui one not being summer, you should be fine if you plan in advance.

Katfan

Reaction score
I was going to report my experience today in a new thread but decided to post here. Called right at 9 AM to reserve a 2 br of unit in the new towers for 9/15/2018 (Saturday) for 7 nights. Only a studio available so passed to await the 12 month release date. On my lunch hour decided to check online (had tried various dummy bookings online to no avail up to today as late as 8:56 AM). A 2br ov was available so I grabbed it. Was not available right after I reserved so I think I got lucky. In 2 other stays have been in 1 br of in Napili in the 01 run with quite the angle to the ocean. So now we will be in Lahaina tower with DD and SIL. Will save a few DP so good from that perspective. Any tips for best side - toward the pools with chance of garage view from what I can tell or toward the new Hyatt residences? So excited to be back in Maui and Kauai. Looks like we will have no problem reserving a 3 br of at Kauai Lagoons for the following week (where we have stayed previously) when Other family members will join us as well. Wish we lived closer to visit more often. Thanks for any info.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I was going to report my experience today in a new thread but decided to post here. Called right at 9 AM to reserve a 2 br of unit in the new towers for 9/15/2018 (Saturday) for 7 nights. Only a studio available so passed to await the 12 month release date. On my lunch hour decided to check online (had tried various dummy bookings online to no avail up to today as late as 8:56 AM). A 2br ov was available so I grabbed it. Was not available right after I reserved so I think I got lucky. In 2 other stays have been in 1 br of in Napili in the 01 run with quite the angle to the ocean. So now we will be in Lahaina tower with DD and SIL. Will save a few DP so good from that perspective. Any tips for best side - toward the pools with chance of garage view from what I can tell or toward the new Hyatt residences? So excited to be back in Maui and Kauai. Looks like we will have no problem reserving a 3 br of at Kauai Lagoons for the following week (where we have stayed previously) when Other family members will join us as well. Wish we lived closer to visit more often. Thanks for any info.
So, to be clear, you were calling 13 months ahead. You called right at 9:00 am EST. And no 2-bedroom units were available for a Saturday check-in? Not even a 1-bedroom was available?

If I'm understanding your abbreviations, you were using points, right? If so, then that's from the points inventory, so it doesn't tell us what would have happened had you been a week owner. But it seems odd that a points owner with sufficient status to reserve 13 months out still could not get what he wanted.

Katfan

Reaction score
Yes we have executive status and were using points so no new info for weeks owners. I was just trying to give an experience from a different ownership perspective. And the only available unit according to the reservation agent at 9 AM on the dot (and confirmed from my online search) was a studio in the new towers or a 1 bedroom in the original towers. I probably could have waited until the 12 month mark to see if more inventory became available but this is a family trip so decided to snag the OV rather than hope for an OF unit. I have checked just out of curiosity a few more times in the past 24 hours and have not seen anything other than the studio. Glad I took the 2BR when it popped up.

taffy19

Reaction score
Here is a thread under "Exchanges" (posts #5 and 7) about exchanging to HI that may be of interest to the OP especially.

Last edited:

tmcasey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - Regarding reserving in the summer months. Typically it is very hard to get a week and you need to call right at 9 am ET - often I do this and don't get a week. But typically if I try for 2 or 3 July weeks in a row, I'll get one. I have a Lahaina tower 2 bedroom ocean view.

However, this year was easier than previous and when I logged in on July 27, I easily got a reservation and I could have had a Friday July 7 or or a Sunday July 16 check in too. First time I've ever seen July check-in dates a few weeks past 12 month out.
Tami

Katfan

Reaction score
So with your 2 br ov in Lahaina what would be your request for the best ov unit? I am thinking looking at the pool would be best if looking at the rooms closest to the ocean. But perhaps those looking toward the Hyatt would be better. Would appreciate any insight. I know it is pretty much luck of the draw but considering we reserved at the earliest date I am hopeful we get a little more consideration for best unit. Thanks in advance.

taffy19

Reaction score
Here are the Lahaina tower view categories to give you a better idea.

We once stayed in a lock-off unit that was part of the 3 BR oceanfront condo but the lock-off was on the side of the building overlooking the pool. It had a wide ocean view but many palm trees too. We couldn't see the sunset in March but would sometimes go down to the restaurant instead or see it somewhere else.

The other ocean view condos on that side are further back and the last one is practically next to the parking garage as you can see from the first link. Here are the views that we had. The higher the floor the better the view will be unless the palm trees are taller since March 2010.

From the balcony.

i-LZjsKHc-M.jpg

A nice wide view even from the third floor but with many palm trees.

i-BGHN3Vr-M.jpg

View over the pool. It looked nice at night.

i-LBNWJTc-M.jpg

Here is a post on TUG showing the mountain/garden view units between the Lahaina and the new Hyatt tower because that was the highest level (6th) of the parking garage I could go up to.

Ocean view starts on the 7th floor. These pictures were taken further back than the very last 2 BR condo on the side of the building. Higher up should have a better view yet but not as wide as between this tower and the Lanai tower.

I hope this helps a little bit for making a decision. Good luck!

Katfan

Reaction score
Taffy19 - thanks so much for the very useful info, especially the photos. Lots of time to mull things over. Really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
i-LZjsKHc-M.jpg

A nice wide view even from the third floor but with many palm trees.

i-BGHN3Vr-M.jpg

View over the pool. It looked nice at night.

i-LBNWJTc-M.jpg

Here is a post on TUG showing the mountain/garden view units between the Lahaina and the new Hyatt tower because that was the highest level (6th) of the parking garage I could go up to.

Ocean view starts on the 7th floor. These pictures were taken further back than the very last 2 BR condo on the side of the building. Higher up should have a better view yet but not as wide as between this tower and the Lanai tower.

I hope this helps a little bit for making a decision. Good luck!

We are going to be at MOC Napili/Lahaina Towers for the first time in May. Can't figure out this resort. Wanted 6 nights in an oceanfront one bedroom in May. At the 13 month mark only OF studios and Island view 2 bdrms available, which I thought strange. At 12 months no different, so I booked the studio. Got the "review your accomodations" which shows a Studio OFOG, and my account shows the unit as a Studio OF2G. No clue what OG or 2G means. Any help with what those strange designations are? Any ideas why the availability was/is so limited? I was booking with trust points but had plenty of either.

TYIA...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We are going to be at MOC Napili/Lahaina Towers for the first time in May. Can't figure out this resort. Wanted 6 nights in an oceanfront one bedroom in May. At the 13 month mark only OF studios and Island view 2 bdrms available, which I thought strange. At 12 months no different, so I booked the studio. Got the "review your accomodations" which shows a Studio OFOG, and my account shows the unit as a Studio OF2G. No clue what OG or 2G means. Any help with what those strange designations are? Any ideas why the availability was/is so limited? I was booking with trust points but had plenty of either.

TYIA...

Here are the options from dioxide45's thread on unit codes...which can be found in the Weeks Sticky.

There is an OFOG....but I don't see an OF2G, nor have I ever seen a number in any of these unit codes.

GMGH....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Garden View........1BR portion of 2BR unit.
IVMT....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Island View........1BR portion of 2BR unit.
OFOM....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........1BR portion of 2BR unit.
TOMV....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean View.........1BR portion of 2BR unit.
ZZAF....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Garden View........2BR dedicated unit in Lahaina Tower.
TOVI....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Island View........2BR dedicated unit in Napili Tower.
THMV....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........2BR portion of 3BR unit.
TOGA....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Garden View........2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio in Lahaina Tower.
ZZTS....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Island View........2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio in Napili Tower.
ZZTQ....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio.
ZZTR....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean View.........2BR unit that locks off in to 1BR and studio.
ZZAO....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........3BR unit that locks off in to 2BR and studio.
GMGZ....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Garden View........Studio portion of 2BR unit.
IVGT....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Island View........Studio portion of 2BR unit.
OFOG....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........Studio portion of 2BR unit.
TOGV....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean View.........Studio portion of 2BR unit.
THGV....Maui Ocean Club Sequel......Ocean Front........Studio portion of 3BR unit.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick turn-around. Sorry I didn't do a through enough search to figure it out myself.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

TYIA...
It seems strange, indeed. Were you being specific on your check-in date, or were you flexible?

If you're booking 13 mo out, then in theory, NOBODY could have been ahead of you. That suggests that the inventory was zero, no 1 or 2 bedroom oceanfront units available in the trust points inventory. How can that be?