• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retiring Overseas: The Living is Easier Than Ever

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Retiring Overseas: The Living is Easier Than Ever
By Suzan Haskins and Dan Prescher/ InternationalLiving.com Editors/ The Blog/ The Huffington Post/ huffingtonpost.com

Time flies when you’re having fun. And that’s exactly what we’ve had over the last 15 years: a lot of fun.

It was in the fall of 2001 that we first became expats, leaving our comfortable, predictable lives in Omaha, Nebraska, for the unknown of life in Quito, Ecuador. Since then, we’ve lived in seven different communities in four countries—and we’ve traveled to many more in search of the perfect communities for North Americans and others who want to retire overseas. We’re likely not done yet with our expat journey.

Fortunately, for us...

Today, expat life is easier than ever, especially when it comes to:...."

Richard

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Interesting article. DH has been subscribing to International Living for years -hence why we spend the winters in Belize. Through talking with many dozens of expats we have discovered that you need to take a lot of the info from their articles with a grain of salt -especially where prices are concerned. Granted the cost of living is cheaper in many areas you also need to consider the living conditions and availability of many everyday items (food & other).

Our neighbour here in Belize only gets about US $800/ month (just Social Security I believe, with no company pension or other income). There is no way he could afford to live on that in the USA but he lives quite comfortably in a furnished 1 bedroom apartment 1 block from the water. He even has enough money to visit bars and restaurants a few times a week. He doesn't own or need a car, his bicycle works fine for getting around this small town. Bus fare down to Belize City (3 hrs away) is US$5.00 if he needs a city fix.

~Diane

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will be experiencing this as we just bought a condo in Aruba and will be spending January, February & March there. Can't wait to get out of the cold....

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were regular readers of International Living for years, and in my opinion, Moonstone is correct: a lot of their information needs to be taken with a grain of salt. For us, the glowing praise for foreign medical services is definitely one of those areas. I really like my Mexican doctor, and I am impressed with his diagnostic skill/beside manner/price/small hospital (actually, more what we would call a clinic). When I asked him what hospital I would go to in Ensenada or Tijuana if it were a medical emergency, he replied, "You would go to the U.S." I said, "Well, I mean if it were an emergency." He smiled and said, "If it were an emergency, you would have to go to the U.S.; if it weren't, why wouldn't you?" The difference we've seen has to do with machines. As long as what you need doesn't require much in the way of machines, treatment in Mexico presents no problems. If it does, that is a problem because they just don't have them. Getting a scan is a problem in Tijuana, but "old-fashioned" X-rays are everywhere and really, really inexpensive, so it depends on what you need. I have very difficult blood to match because of antibodies (couldn't get but one unit in San Diego and really needed two). Again, I need to be in the U.S. So, medically, it depends on what you need--and that's an area you can't really know what will be needed ahead of time. We have yearly insurance for being flown to wherever we need for treatment because of those uncertainties. Guadalahara has a medical school that is supposed to be excellent--but we are a long way from Guadalahara.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Remember calculate medical expenses if you are over 65. If I remember correctly Medicare does not pay outside of the USA and it's Territories.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read a generic article about the best places to retire in the US. It listed San Antonio, which really is a great place to retire; lovely city and low cost of living. However the numbers regarding average mortgages and average apartment rent was really off. Where on earth do they get their information.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Remember calculate medical expenses if you are over 65. If I remember correctly Medicare does not pay outside of the USA and it's Territories.
I just heard this from friends. So when I reach age eligibility for Medicare, how will I be able to travel to Ireland? Will I have to buy supplemental health insurance to be covered for overseas trips? Please advise as I and DH are approaching this in a couple of years?
Silentg

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just heard this from friends. So when I reach age eligibility for Medicare, how will I be able to travel to Ireland? Will I have to buy supplemental health insurance to be covered for overseas trips? Please advise as I and DH are approaching this in a couple of years?
Silentg

Presumably you'll buy a Medicare supplement plan ("medigap"), as most people do. Though plan costs differ by region, the plan coverages are standardized by the Feds into plans A through N. Some cover foreign travel, some don't. See the chart at https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/compare-medigap/compare-medigap.html and look at the row labelled "Foreign travel exchange". Pick a plan that covers 80% of foreign medical costs.

Alternatively, you can buy a travel insurance policy that covers all trips, or buy travel insurance for each trip. There are lots of threads on TUG about travel insurance; I'm certainly no expert.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Silentg
This is correct. Medicare only covers you within the USA. You have to have other coverage. For instance, our Medicare Advantage supplement covers us up to the amount Medicare pays anywhere, as long as we can provide an itemized billing in English. We also are buying travel insurance with medical and evacuation coverage. Both of the above would be reimbursed expenses. Not like flashing a card and paying a co-pay for services.

Jim

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
But Medigap plans (we have plan N) only cover you for the first 60 days of your absence from the US, and there is a deductible of $250, copay of 20%, and lifetime limit of only $50,000. This might not be enough in a hospital in Ireland if you had a heart attack or got hit by a bus, so get a travel insurance policy that will provide emergency care and cover air evacuation to the US. Plan to pay for minor, non-emergency medical care out of pocket.

There are also a number of international health insurance providers.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But Medigap plans (we have plan N) only cover you for the first 60 days of your absence from the US, and there is a deductible of $250, copay of 20%, and lifetime limit of only $50,000. This might not be enough in a hospital in Ireland if you had a heart attack or got hit by a bus, so get a travel insurance policy that will provide emergency care and cover air evacuation to the US. Plan to pay for minor, non-emergency medical care out of pocket.

There are also a number of international health insurance providers.
You need to buy Medigap Plan F or G to provide worldwide coverage.

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score

In 2015 my husband and I were in South Africa for 19 days....he was 68 and has chf which had been managed well with Meds for years. A week into our time in Kruger he developed bad edema in his legs and abdomen while on Safari. It was after 10 pm and gates were closed til morning for the park. The director of the lodge came in early a and arranged an emergency visit with the community clinic for my husband. The physician did a full H and P and EKG and he had tachycardia but his number was on the low end as it had been before the trip. He was also on Eliquis from home but he was never on Lasix or Potassium to combat edema....it had never been a problem. The doctor prescribed 2 weeks of Lasix and Potassium and answered my husband's concerns about continuing the remaining 2 weeks of vacation.

Obviously my husband was on Medicare and we knew we would either have to rely on on his supplemental insurance and/or pay out of pocket. We went to check out fully expecting a large bill....... the bill for EVERYTHING was $67!!!!!! Needless to say we never filed a claim!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2015 my husband and I were in South Africa for 19 days....he was 68 and has chf which had been managed well with Meds for years. A week into our time in Kruger he developed bad edema in his legs and abdomen while on Safari. It was after 10 pm and gates were closed til morning for the park. The director of the lodge came in early a and arranged an emergency visit with the community clinic for my husband. The physician did a full H and P and EKG and he had tachycardia but his number was on the low end as it had been before the trip. He was also on Eliquis from home but he was never on Lasix or Potassium to combat edema....it had never been a problem. The doctor prescribed 2 weeks of Lasix and Potassium and answered my husband's concerns about continuing the remaining 2 weeks of vacation.

Obviously my husband was on Medicare and we knew we would either have to rely on on his supplemental insurance and/or pay out of pocket. We went to check out fully expecting a large bill....... the bill for EVERYTHING was $67!!!!!! Needless to say we never filed a claim!
Was the bill from South Africa? I tell you I am moving there... now! LOL

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It is true that medical costs Overseas are substantially less than in the USA. Several years ago Patti become very sick in Fiji. The 45 minute visit with the Doctor came to about $40 and the Medicine at the Pharmacy was about $20. So as long as you Budget for it because can not rely upon Medicare. Several years ago a Business Associate had an accident in Mexico and shattered his ankle. He had extensive Orthopedic Surgery to put his ankle back together and was an inpatient for 4 weeks. His total Bill was about $4,000 US. He did freakout when he first looked at the Bill and then he realized it was in Pesos.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last day in Italy our friend's little boy had a severe reaction pine nuts. He was first treated at a small clinic. They tried to settle their bill but the doctor said no no and insisted that they go immediately to a larger hospital emergency room. He also received excellent treatment at the hospital. The bill came to $45 US dollars. They tried to pay but the "automatic bill paying machine" was broken. They tried paying via the staff, but everyone said "Sorry, we can't handle money so bye bye." The hospital also called a pharmacy very close to our timeshare and told them to expect us after hours."

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were vacationing in Mazatlán Mexico with my elderly mother. She became quite ill so we took her to the Sharp Hospital in Mazatlán. It is affiliated with Sharp in San Diego. In any event she received excellent care and the doctor spent 30 minutes with her. The total bill was $32.00 ( including medicine ) which her Health Net MA reimbursed her. Bear in mind, that was 20 years ago.

The Sharp hospital in Mazatlán is as modern and well equipped as any hospital here and it was spotless.

http://www.hospitalsharp.com/en/index.html

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We did consider Mexico when we were planning our retirement. It was a good fit for us in that my wife is Mexican ( dual Mexican/US citizen ). I am fluent in Spanish and know the culture very well having lived there and worked there. We would be able to buy a home for much cheaper than a non-Mexican citizen can. However, we decided against it for several reasons, the main one being that we love living where we do in California. My wife is against living in Mexico more than I am.