• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retro after upgrade

meyers7j

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had ever heard of this. After I rescinded an upgrade purchase the sales person offered a suggestion.

I was upgrading a gold plus resale at WDW to a platinum plus from the developer. I was given a generous credit for the resale( approx $19,000). The sales person suggested that I purchase another resale and then come back and upgrade the gold plus and they could retro the second resale purchase. Depending on what the second resale was it could be 81,000 or 148,100 star options for the upgrade price of approx $20,000. I did not do this but I thought I would share this idea.

Joe

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Vistana has long offered the ability to re-qualify or retro previous resale mandatory or voluntary weeks. Here is a thread on it.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had ever heard of this. After I rescinded an upgrade purchase the sales person offered a suggestion.

I was upgrading a gold plus resale at WDW to a platinum plus from the developer. I was given a generous credit for the resale( approx $19,000). The sales person suggested that I purchase another resale and then come back and upgrade the gold plus and they could retro the second resale purchase. Depending on what the second resale was it could be 81,000 or 148,100 star options for the upgrade price of approx $20,000. I did not do this but I thought I would share this idea.

Joe
I've done something similar two times. Th process is well covered in the stickies.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I would not be 5* Elite without the ability to retro. I retro'd a 148,100 Sheraton Mountain Vista and a 257,700 Westin St. John Bay Vista, getting me within 250K StarOptions striking distance of 5*.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
$20,000+ in new money per requaled VOI, and ongoing annual maintenance fees with little to no resale value...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
$20,000+ in new money per requaled VOI, and ongoing annual maintenance fees with little to no resale value...
$20K used to be the most common amount if you did not trade in. But, it could be done for less if you used a (free) resale as trade in/equity. I paid less than $20K per retro and new VOI at the time and cleaned my VOI portfolio of unwanted units. Win win for me, YMMV...

My understanding is that this has become more complicated and highly dependent on what you want to retro/requal and the new VOI you are purchasing...I don't work for Starwood and I am not endorsing or recommending this. I am simply stating my experience. Of course, this is highly dependent on your financial situation, goals, and vacation habits.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I should add a footer to my posts (like yours) - as everything is dependent on something else, and personal bias also plays a role - and all advice should be taken as opinion based on personal experience or consensus based on what is reported here more often than not.

GENERALLY - they are looking for $20K in new money to make 'deals'
win-win - funny...
buying a VOI from VSE (upgrade or not...) that has 0$ on resale market, and taking on additional ever-increasing MFs just to get SOs that can be bought on the resale market.
oh... IMO YMMV