• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rimadyl (Carprofen) for my Dog

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My German Shepherd is now 11 years old and is having trouble with joint issues, arthritis, etc. When I talk to people I meet at the local Dog Park I get 3 opinions regarding Rimadyl (Carprofen). Some say it works wonders. Others see no benefit. And a third group says it can have serious side effects.

I started using it today figuring I have little to lose as my guess is that my Buddy has less than 6 months left if I don't do something. But I am open to opinions from any of you who have found it successful, worthless or whatever.

George

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried asking your vet?

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I have no personal experience with Rimadyl for dogs but the risks sure seem high. Have you explored Adequan Canine with your vet? I've been using Adequan IM, the equine version of the drug, on one of my off-track racehorses with great success. Good luck on your research!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We used Carprofen for Andrew (our Corgi) for his last couple years. It really helped. The last year he was on 2 pain killers and 1 anti-inflammatory. They made his life so much better. Then last December he looked at me and said: "Dad I love you but I am done." So our Vet came to our house and he went to sleep surrounded by our other Corgi, the two cats, and us.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Millie is our 17 yo cockapoo. As with many of us older folks she has arthritic joints. For pain she gets a drug cocktail, gabapentin, rimadyl, and amantadine. She also gets a booster shot of Adequan every so often

I dont know that she needs all this but it seems to work, she still walks every day, We bring a stroller in case she punks out, but most days she doesn't need it

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with Rimadyl for dogs but the risks sure seem high. Have you explored Adequan Canine with your vet? I've been using Adequan IM, the equine version of the drug, on one of my off-track racehorses with great success. Good luck on your research!
Adequan has been the only thing that has helped my dog with a bad shoulder. Xrays show his bad side has a smaller arm than the good side and moderate arthritis in the shoulder and elbow. We've done pretty much every treatment (laser, acupuncture, chiropractor). My vet is suggesting that I don't get an MRI (which is what I suggested) because he said I'd first have to have a CT scan, then the MRI which dogs need to be sedated for and then most likely surgery would be recommended and he said I'd be paying at least 10K. I think the MRI alone is around $3500, but he said the treatments would be the same no matter what the MRI shows.

We do the Adequan shots at home. It hasn't resolved the issue, but he doesn't limp every day when we keep up his shots. He went from walking an hour every day to having a limp and not wanting to walk about 4 months ago. It's been driving me batty because he is only 9 years old and he is a small dog. He should only be half done with his life.

I just started him on DGP and 1-TDC (both over the counter) in addition to his shots. It looked like he wasn't limping much for 3 days, but it's really too early to tell if those things are helping at all. He has never yelped in pain. The vet said the next thing to try is tramadol, but this particular dog does really bad with sedative medications and will whine all day because he feels like he is trippin.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are other options. Our vet recommended Cosequin many years ago for our elderly dog (he lived comfortably to age 17!) and we continue to use it today on our dog in the same situation. It is the canine equivalent to glucosomine and condroitin used in humans and I've not noticed any side effects. Ask your vet for a recommendation. FWIW, the literature on Rimadyl states that it is not for long term use. Cosequin can be used indefinately.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
After weighing the potential side effect ramifications I put my 11 year old German Shepherd on Rimadyl a couple of days ago. His ability to get around and his activity level have improved dramatically. I don't discount the potential for severe side effects but figure the risk is worth it if I can generate 6 months to a year of improved quality of life for him. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

George