• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Marriott's junk fees will keep me out of the game forever. Minimum $3000 is 15 times more than I paid for our last non Marriott timeshare purchase. If trading in II got so bad that it was unusable, I would probably sell our two weeks before I bought points. While we paid $7500 for our first week in 2007, I simply can't see paying anything close to that ever again. Too many other options that I have been finding.

Me too. Here is an alternative strategy that I admit isn't for everyone. Buy a resale week at every resort you want to go to. Earn 5-6 mrps on the maintenance fees. Rent out the reservations you won't use at good enough prices not to sit on the rentals too long for cash flow. At locations that don't rent great, like Orlando and Williamsburg, deposit those units.

The one drawback as of late is the mysterious difficulty in getting legacy week reservations at some properties. I don't see that situation getting better for weeks owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Annual, sorry forgot to edit that.

That is a great price for an annual 2BR OF. Most of the EOY units I've seen listed were at $15,000.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Pretty good, though another annual went for $16K...and one possibly at $14K. The recent couple of EOY at $11K is where I'd like to be, so still looking. ;-) (All OF)

Where are you finding those? I've never seen an EOY lower than about $15K

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
There was an EOY 2B OF in the $11k range on Redweek a few weeks ago, for sure.

billkoelpin

Reaction score
All,

I just passed ROFR on 2,000 Trust Points for $4,494, which includes closings (but not the Marriott junk fees). Including those junk fees, the total price will be closer to $8,500.

I was surprised to see this pass and will be curious to see if we see further incidence of lower prices. I will put in ROFR database.

Best,

Greg

Greg or anyone,

With this 2000 points purchase for $4,494 at 2.25pp plus junk fees of roughly $4,000 total $8,500. Trying to understand if the junk fees scale up or stay flat once you get over a certain amount of points?

Meaning when purchasing 2,000 points the junk fees were $4,000. If you were to purchase 7,000points (at once in one transaction) would the junk fees still cost $4,000 or what would the junk fees cost if you had purchased not 2,000 but 7,000points.

Thanks.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Greg or anyone,

With this 2000 points purchase for $4,494 at 2.25pp plus junk fees of roughly $4,000 total $8,500. Trying to understand if the junk fees scale up or stay flat once you get over a certain amount of points?

Meaning when purchasing 2,000 points the junk fees were $4,000. If you were to purchase 7,000points (at once in one transaction) would the junk fees still cost $4,000 or what would the junk fees cost if you had purchased not 2,000 but 7,000points.

Thanks.
The junk fees are basically $2/point, with a $3,000 minimum.
To be more specific....here is the info from the Points Sticky

DC Trust Points may be resold through any of the typical timeshare resales sites; Marriott is not currently buying back or brokering DC Points resales.

If stipulated fees are paid, full usage rights will transfer upon a resale to the buyer/new owner of DC Trust Points. Such fees include but may not be limited to:
•$500/BI (i.e. 250 Points) with a minimum $3,000.00 Initiation Fee (increased as of 7/1/14 from $200/BI with a min $2,000) ;
•$300 Owner Education Fee;
•$95 ROFR Fee;
•$25/BI Transfer Fee; etc.
Marriott holds ROFR for all DC Trust Points.

billkoelpin

Reaction score
The junk fees are basically $2/point, with a $3,000 minimum.
To be more specific....here is the info from the Points Sticky

DC Trust Points may be resold through any of the typical timeshare resales sites; Marriott is not currently buying back or brokering DC Points resales.

If stipulated fees are paid, full usage rights will transfer upon a resale to the buyer/new owner of DC Trust Points. Such fees include but may not be limited to:
•$500/BI (i.e. 250 Points) with a minimum $3,000.00 Initiation Fee (increased as of 7/1/14 from $200/BI with a min $2,000) ;
•$300 Owner Education Fee;
•$95 ROFR Fee;
•$25/BI Transfer Fee; etc.
Marriott holds ROFR for all DC Trust Points.

Thanks Fasttr! I stepped away to let the dust settle for a few years and wondered when i came back why the resale point value collapsed over the last couple of years. The more than doubling cost for the BI by marriott from $200/BI to $500/BI I now understand. Seeing gregt's recent purchase at $2.25 per point if marriott increases any other transfer fee's they are putting more downward price pressure pushing the resale point price sub $2.

They get you when you purchase direct at a lot higher price per point and now(or since 7/1/14) they get you by the $500/BI. I would have to guess there is a big spreadsheet in the finance dept - price increase from $500 to $600/BI the $100 increase = X million right to the bottom line eps or the $25/BI transfer fee to $100/BI transfer fee which would further devalue the resale owner price per point.

Do you think it is just a matter of when not if they pull one of those levers?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Found out Friday that we passed ROFR on a Marriott Grande Vista even week platinum 2 bedroom. Price was $1,250, with a $250 rebate after title transfer is all finished. So $1,000 all in when done. Dues and useage starts in 2018. We are Marriott owners once again!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had my first fail in the last 9 months. Shadow Ridge Gold for $1,025. This is right after I had a Barony Platinum pass at $4,500. Go figure.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did the price include all fees. Selling one now but not sure how it will go.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just had a willowridge platinum annual fail at $1039. For that price, it included the use of 2017 week. Essentially made the week free but marriott got it.
I think marriott has money to buy at the beginning of the year.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had a willowridge platinum annual fail at $1039. For that price, it included the use of 2017 week. Essentially made the week free but marriott got it.

I think Marriott always has money to buy. They convert the unit to points and sell them at otherworldly margins. What holds them back is too much unsold DC points inventory at any given time.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott seems to like to rofr willow ridge. I've had a couple taken so far this year from there- both similar deals to yours.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott seems to like to rofr willow ridge. I've had a couple taken so far this year from there- both similar deals to yours.

It's a mystery since the conversion isn't good. The only thing that makes sense is they are depositing the units into II and uptrading like we do. When they were doing direct buybacks their offer price on WR was crazy high.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Do you guys think the platinum EOY Willow Ridge's are easier to pass ROFR than the annuals?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the platinum EOY Willow Ridge's are easier to pass ROFR than the annuals?

Absolutely. Even when ROFR was in full swing and everything was failing many eoys were still passing. The threshhold was lower. The speculation is the closing costs involved. Marriott handles a $1,000 timeshare closing the same way you would close a $500,000 house. In some states where they farm it out it is very expensive.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a eoy even willow ridge platinum I bought for $10 going, so I'll report back when I hear back on that one. Already have eoy odd platinum, so it would be a good fit.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a mystery since the conversion isn't good. The only thing that makes sense is they are depositing the units into II and uptrading like we do. When they were doing direct buybacks their offer price on WR was crazy high.
Wasn't it north of $4k for a while? There seems to be little rhyme or reason to many of thier moves, but I'm sure they have a good reason?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it north of $4k for a while? There seems to be little rhyme or reason to many of thier moves, but I'm sure they have a good reason?

Good reason? Not necessarily but in a way yes. They have departments that are highly segregated. Systems that do not communicate with each other. It would not be surprising if there is a long lag in communication between what is needed and what is taken action on. And what is needed might last just a few resales so the threshold for a given unit might be $2k one week and then $0 the next. The logic in the reason is DC points conversion. When the economy recovered they scrambled to convert everything they could. Then last year they put on the brakes. Now I suspect they are trying to find a start and stop balance which means highly inconsistent ROFR.