• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Islander Cancun

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It is truly personal preference. We stayed at Royal Islander, Royal Cancun and Lagunamar. I am a huge Lagunamar fan for many many reasons but most people love the Royals and own multiple weeks.Cancun itself is amazing

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've traded into the royal resorts on 4 occasions, once at was the Royal Mayan, The Royal Islander, Royal Hacienda and Royal Caribbean. While the resorts are well maintained the rooms are dated so if use to updated amenities it can be a minor disappointment. With most the guest being older at the Islander and Caribbean the pool scene is kind of dead and to quiet. The sands has a better vibe but found pool service to be poor. Not enough servers for the crowd and think this is do to switching to all inclusive model to slow service down. Not good if your not there on all inclusive plan. Had to go and get my food which was sitting at the bar for an extended period and went and bought beers at the market since getting a server to take an order was on the same schedule as Haily's Commet. I think the uncertainty about the older resorts has filtered down to the employees. Was not as friendly and homie feeling as my first 3 visit. In the future the only one I would stay at is the Royal Hacienda since it's not as crowded as the Sands and most updated amenities. The employees at the Hacienda were top notch but that was right before they switch to the AI option so hope it has not affected service like at the Sands.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've traded into the royal resorts on 4 occasions, once at was the Royal Mayan, The Royal Islander, Royal Hacienda and Royal Caribbean. While the resorts are well maintained the rooms are dated so if use to updated amenities it can be a minor disappointment. With most the guest being older at the Islander and Caribbean the pool scene is kind of dead and to quiet. The sands has a better vibe but found pool service to be poor. Not enough servers for the crowd and think this is do to switching to all inclusive model to slow service down. Not good if your not there on all inclusive plan. Had to go and get my food witch was sitting at the bar for an extended period and went and bought beers at the market since getting a server to take an order was on the same schedule as Haily's Commet. I think the uncertainty about the older resorts has filtered down to the employees. Was not as friendly and homie feeling as my first 3 visit. In the future the only one I would stay at is the Royal Hacienda since it's not as crowded as the Sands and most updated amenities. The employees at the Hacienda were top notch but that was right before they switch to the AI option so hope it has not affected service like at the Sands.
This is something I think was mentioned about AI back shortly after the switch. The issue being that the Sands and Haciendas weren't really built and designed to handle AI. It would seem that onsite food and beverage options are somewhat lacking for a true AI experience? At least when compared to other purpose built AI resorts in Mexico.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I've got a request in for any day in 2018 for Westin Lagunamer and II has called me 4 times already wanting me to offer me an exchange into one of the Royals. I keep turning them down as I just want to exchange one Vistana for another Vistana to keep the cost down

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've got a request in for any day in 2018 for Westin Lagunamer and II has called me 4 times already wanting me to offer me an exchange into one of the Royals. I keep turning them down as I just want to exchange one Vistana for another Vistana to keep the cost down
You can tell II that you don't want to get phone calls for alternate exchange options.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are up for traveling resort to resort the AI option is fine but it is less relaxing to restaurant hop. The off site restaurant Captain's Cove
was quite good. Our first visit was from a short stay interval and we were charged a daily use fee of $20 to use the gym. That and no hot tub plus
chewed gum stuck all over the extra blanket were on my con list. I wouldn't mind trying the Royal Hacienda one day. I have heard good things.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
in response to a few of the comments I have just read.
1. The gym fee at the RS is $8 a day not $20.
2. Interesting about the pool service at the RS. Last week at Lagunamar the beach service was almost non existent and the service at the restaurant next to the pool was terrible. Lunch ended up being a 1.5 hour experience everyday. The one thing I can say about the RS is that the staff is abundant and they are like family. We have had the same maid for our villa since the resort opened. The waiters, bellman, front desk staff, etc know us by name.
3. I agree the RS villas are dated. They are currently undergoing renovations and the completed units are beautiful. The ones are the Lagunamar were nice but not exceptionally beautiful and modern.
4. Be careful of wishing for hot tubs on properties. My husband contracted eColi at the Grand Luxxe from the hot tub. He was very ill. A family was dipping their naked infant into it. Last week there were many toddlers and very young children using them as "pools" at Lagunamar. It always amazes me how parents let their children go into them and how resorts don't monitor them.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are correct, I apologize. It was $8 per day. I am confusing it with another resort. And I guess in the scheme of things $ 56 for a week to use the gym is not a deal breaker.
We were trading Hyatt into interval and were not used to having a gym fee, more of a principal thing. The Royal classes were a lot of fun especially zumba. The villas at both Royals we stayed at were not an issue at all. They were clean and had everything you need for a comfortable stay. So again, luckily everyone has different taste which is good, more opening for us at Lagunamar lol. ilene that is horrible about the hot tub at the Grand Luxxe. So sorry to hear that. What a horrible experience to have to go through.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Do any of the Royal resorts have washers/dryers and grills? Both are pretty essential to me.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do not have washers and dryers in the units. They have a laundry room where a lady does your laundry for a minimal fee. She does a great job. No grills.