• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales guy helped me get VIP Silver without buying more points

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
So we went to an update at Royal Vista in May, the day after the launch. While we were there, the sales guy looks at our account and tells me there is a problem. I put on my best shocked face that I could muster up, and ask him what could it possibly be? I like to string them a long until I get bored. He proceeds to tell me that the PIC is wrong on my account. Its showing as a one bedroom when it's a two bedroom. 105k points versus 154k. He proceeds to tell me that he can get it fixed if we bought more points. As an added bonus, he thinks he can convince Wyndham to let him sell me an 84k points package instead of the minimum 154k. Stop me if the thick sarcasm is not leaking through these words. I knew Owner Care would fix it for free, so I politely (I use that word loosely) declined the offer. When we got back, I contact Owner Care to get the process started. I asked them to fix my PIC and to grandfather me to Silver. If the PIC would have been correct, I would have been VIP silver, because back then, it was 300k. Between the contract and the PIC, I would have had enough to be Silver VIP. It took about a dozen calls, hour and hours of hold time, many emails, and finally an email to the CEO, Michael Brown (who actually responded) before it got corrected, but it's fixed. In my email to Michael I laid out my requests:

1. Correct my PIC to reflect a two bedroom lock out. I asked them to enrolled each side as a separate week, with a total of 210k points. Check.

2. Grandfather me into VIP Silver. Check.

3. Goodwill points (yes, that's a real thing) to make up for the 945k points i have been shorted over the past 9 years. The total value of those points is over $236k. I'm just asking for the points, but I mentioned the monetary value in my email to the CEO, because that is a language execs understand. Not addressed yet.

Michael Brown replied to my email saying he forwarded my email to multiple leaders and they would need a few days to figure out a path to resolution. No one has called, but the first two requests are completed. They may still be figuring out what to do, if anything, about the 3rd.

So that's my story of how the sales guy helped me get VIP without buying more points. His con actually helped me get more points and VIP status, without spending a dime. I know that was not his intent, but still. Thanks sales guy! Best Owners update gift ever!

Moral of the story is , if you have a PIC, check it now, to make sure you are getting the allotted # of points. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this...

One Bedroom 105k points
two bedroom 154k points
three bedroom 254k points

Lockouts can be enrolled as two separate weeks. In my case I had a two bedroom lock out that was enrolled as two separate one bedrooms. Side A was week 1 of my PIC, Side B is Week 2. Total 210k points instead of 154k if i enrolled it as a single two bedroom. You can do either with lock outs. A single unit or two separate units.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent work on your point !! I would just caution that doing the lock off as 2 weeks has used up your 2 PICs.
If others look to use PICs. You can get Gold VIP for around $40,000.00 all in. Platinum under $100,000.00

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Excellent work on your point !! I would just caution that doing the lock off as 2 weeks has used up your 2 PICs.
If others look to use PICs. You can get Gold VIP for around $40,000.00 all in

Yeah, i did think about the two weeks. I have no intention of buying more points and this was my one chance to do it that way. If I do buy more points, they will be willing to change it again to a two bedroom and add the other PIC. In the meantime, i have 210k points to play with instead of 154k. :)

If I do decide to go gold, I would probably buy a cheap RCI three bedroom week to get 254k points. Between that, the other pic, and my contract, I will be about 110k points shy of gold. If I but through corporate, i can get it cheap. If what the guy on the Facebook forums was saying is true, he bought through corporate at a rate of $147 per 1 k points. That would make my 110k points cost less then $20k. However, I don't see my self spending that kind of money though. I was not even considering pursuing Silver until I realized I had already paid for it. The would have to add some benefits to make it worth it, and they are just not there yet.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
This is very enlightening as I am silver with no PIC's and in the trust with Fairfield so does that make my deeds worth more than $150?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
This is very enlightening as I am silver with no PIC's and in the trust with Fairfield so does that make my deeds worth more than $150?

No. The value to you as the original purchaser is always going to be higher than the value on the resale market where VIP can't be preserved.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
It might be worth more only because you have more points. It depends on what resort and the market demand is for that resort. The VIP status cannot be transferred, so it does not provide any extra value. That said, if the VIP status status did transfer along with the PIC enrollment, mine might be worth more because the maintenance fees are low on the PIC Deed compared to the equivalent wyndham contract. Even the lowest National Harbor contract at 210,000 points would be about $840. The maintenance fees on the PIC are just over 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with a salesperson>>

I had three accounts none of which were VIP, and I had two Platinum VIP accounts. I was with a salesman that was trying to sell me something. I showed her everything I had and asked her to find me the cheapest path to another VIP account. This was my standard tactic when I was with a salesman. I gave them a challenge I didnt think they could handle. This one was different She came back to tell me that I had excess VIP eligible points in my two platinum accounts and I had several VIP eligible points in my non VIP accounts. She suggested that she could consolidate the several VIP eligible contracts in one account which would be enough to go to Silver. Then PIC 2 three bedroom red weeks I owned with a 105000 point purchase, and I would be Platinum

The info that she gave me was that I had several VIP eligible contracts I didnt know I had. Since they had all been purchased on the secondary market, this was quite a surprise

She didnt get the sale however. I figured out what the those VIP eligible contracts had in common and went to eBay to buy more just like them... By the time I was done, I had 3 more Platinum accounts; all resale.

By the way, I lost all my Platinum accounts after the suspensions of August 2016

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I had a similar experience with a salesperson>>

I had three accounts none of which were VIP, and I had two Platinum VIP accounts. I was with a salesman that was trying to sell me something. I showed her everything I had and asked her to find me the cheapest path to another VIP account. This was my standard tactic when I was with a salesman. I gave them a challenge I didnt think they could handle. This one was different She came back to tell me that I had excess VIP eligible points in my two platinum accounts and I had several VIP eligible points in my non VIP accounts. She suggested that she could consolidate the several VIP eligible contracts in one account which would be enough to go to Silver. Then PIC 2 three bedroom red weeks I owned with a 105000 point purchase, and I would be Platinum

The info that she gave me was that I had several VIP eligible contracts I didnt know I had. Since they had all been purchased on the secondary market, this was quite a surprise

She didnt get the sale however. I figured out what the those VIP eligible contracts had in common and went to eBay to buy more just like them... By the time I was done, I had 3 more Platinum accounts; all resale.

By the way, I lost all my Platinum accounts after the suspensions of August 2016

Well that stinks. I thought you had bought the platinum contract through Wyndham and had piled on resale after that. I wish I would have known that secret. :) It may have gotten taken away but i would have been platinum for awhile. Is that why all the accounts were suspended? Were they all people who found a way to get VIP through resale?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well that stinks. I thought you had bought the platinum contract through Wyndham and had piled on resale after that. I wish I would have known that secret. :) It may have gotten taken away but i would have been platinum for awhile. Is that why all the accounts were suspended? Were they all people who found a way to get VIP through resale?

No. VIP status had nothing to do with it although I think most everyone suspended was VIP

The accounts were suspended because we had more points in our accounts than justified by contracts we owned. How that came to be was different for all of us. This is all discussed here http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/account-review-email-accts-suspended.245656/

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
No. VIP status had nothing to do with it although I think most everyone suspended was VIP

The accounts were suspended because we had more points in our accounts than justified by contracts we owned. How that came to be was different for all of us. This is all discussed here http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/account-review-email-accts-suspended.245656/

I thought there were some who did not have that issue that were suspended. That thread got crazy long and i didn't have time to keep up with it. I am not even sure if everyone is back in yet.

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Attitash Mountain Village

I assume that loophole has been closed. Are allowed (and/or willing) to share what it was?

Pietin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham-Glacier Canyon, Star Island, Cypress Palms, Pagosa Spring, Kingsgate, DVC - OKW, VGF
Not yet, and no

We have all resale. One older smaller contract in VA keeps coming up as if it was a developer purchase. They have even offered to use it as a down payment to purchase new points. It is a UDI contract.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have all resale. One older smaller contract in VA keeps coming up as if it was a developer purchase. They have even offered to use it as a down payment to purchase new points. It is a UDI contract.
It happens

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score

How can you tell the difference between developer and resale in ones account?

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
It happens

Does it happen automatically or do you have to be at the sales update? Have not been asked for a sales update for a year. After I bought resale. They ignore us for no apparent reason. Seems a little odd..

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales can tell when they look at your ownership info.
If you want to know how your contracts are coded. Go to an owners update and ask the salesman to see your info and ask him

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

What we are talking about here are resale purchases that for some reason are coded in the Wyndham system as developer purchases. And the only way I know to tell if you have one of these is to ask a sales person. At least that's how I learned what I had

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it happen automatically or do you have to be at the sales update? Have not been asked for a sales update for a year. After I bought resale. They ignore us for no apparent reason. Seems a little odd..

It was automatic. The system saw my resale contracts as developer purchases and I was silver, just like that

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simply ask to go to the owners update. Tell them your interested in buying if you really want to go.
Being at a sales update has nothing to do with how a resale gets coded. I offered $60k at two different updates to have my contracts recoded or turn my contracts in and then sell them back to me. I was turned down both times.

Some resale contracts keep developer status automatically. Some just get coded wrong and that's pure luck. Ron isn't counting on luck. He knows which contracts have a high probability of keeping developer purchase status

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai

If you're paying $.57 per thousand points for a program fee instead of just $.55, you probably have developer points.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're paying $.57 per thousand points for a program fee instead of just $.55, you probably have developer points.
If you have both developer and resale points in your account you pay $.57 on all points

janwes

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It took about a dozen calls, hour and hours of hold time, many emails, and finally an email to the CEO, Michael Brown (who actually responded)

Can you tell me where you found his email address?