• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scam Warning: "Family Beginnings/Robert Servis"

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if there is already a "blacklist" somewhere, but I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this scammer. DO NOT RENT any intervals to this individual.

I was contacted from a craigslist ad on a rental at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Everything seemed fine, except they had some "trouble" getting the paypal payment processed. It went through though, and the payment was received from:

Family Beginnings
725 South Nova Road
STE 170
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
United States

The information the buyer asked me to add to the guest confirmation was:

Robert Servis
725 S Nova Rd #170
Ormond Beach, FL 32174

The first round of issues occurred shortly after checkout. I received a call from Wyndham Bonnet Creek advising that the guest had left with unsettled bills. I asked, "didn't you run a credit card for a security hold?" They replied yes, but apparently the card they provided would not approve the level of charges. I provided Bonnet Creek with the contact information I had.

The individuals apparently dodged the call, because the resort contacted me again to alert me they planned to move forward with filing a police report. I alerted the renter and they acted shocked, and asked how much was the charge.

All was quiet for the next 90 days or so, but today I received notice that the transaction was disputed through paypal. I have no idea what the disposition of that dispute will be; I provided lots of evidence, but I understand that paypal usually sides with the buyer. (if they do in this case I will alert them I will move all transactions to other providers.)

Just wanted to warn everyone.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thanks for posting this, hopefully it saves someone!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thanks for sharing. Were the unpaid charges damages or things charged to the room?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I had an experience with a dispute several years ago. The people had used a credit card linked to their PayPal account so it got a little more complicated but eventually got worked out in my favor. The PayPal employee I spoke with was great about helping me especially after I explained that I could prove that they stayed at the resort so there was no basis for a dispute.

The resort sent me an emailed copy of the check in form showing that the people had checked in and confirmed that they showed a picture ID in the same name and address that was on the reservation. It also clearly showed the name of the resort, the unit size and the dates of the reservation, all of which agreed with the information in the PayPal request for payment.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Were the unpaid charges damages or things charged to the room?

Yes, there were. I guess I'm lucky that Wyndham Bonnet Creek didn't come after me for those as well. They indicated to me that they were going to file a police report if they didn't hear back from him... don't know if they ever did or not.

I am on the phone with Bonnet Creek now and they are refusing to help me with my claim, citing privacy concerns.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an experience with a dispute several years ago. The people had used a credit card linked to their PayPal account so it got a little more complicated but eventually got worked out in my favor. The PayPal employee I spoke with was great about helping me especially after I explained that I could prove that they stayed at the resort so there was no basis for a dispute.

The resort sent me an emailed copy of the check in form showing that the people had checked in and confirmed that they showed a picture ID in the same name and address that was on the reservation. It also clearly showed the name of the resort, the unit size and the dates of the reservation, all of which agreed with the information in the PayPal request for payment.

I am not getting that type of cooperation from Bonnet Creek. What resort was this?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so frustrating. Wyndham Bonnet Creek won't provide me any support because they are protecting the privacy of this crook. All I'm asking for is for them to provide confirmation that the guest checked in. UGH!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
This is so frustrating. Wyndham Bonnet Creek won't provide me any support because they are protecting the privacy of this crook. All I'm asking for is for them to provide confirmation that the guest checked in. UGH!

It was Grand Desert and it was 4 or 5 years ago. I would think that at least the resort manager could type up an email confirming that the guest checked in for the reservation and that at check in the resort requires a photo ID with the name and address that match what is listed on the reservation. I don't see how that would violate anything. And if they filed a police report they have already released that information anyhow.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to provide an update. I did get an email from Bonnet Creek confirming that the guest stayed at the resort during the dates specified. However, Papal ruled in favor of the Buyer anyway, and this scammer got a full refund. I was told by Bonnet Creek that he had also disputed the charges he had while he was there.

I called Paypal and opened an appeal, and that appeal was granted. But here is the problem - this money comes from Paypal. They do not go back and get it from the Buyer.

The money was not insignificant, but it was the principle of the thing as much as anything for me. I did not want this scammer to get away with it. So I have also opened an investigation with the IC3 (internet crime complaint center). Hopefully they will at least investigate before they summarily dismiss the case.

If anyone has additional thoughts or suggestions or angles I might try to go after this guy, please let me know.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
What could he have told PayPal that they would give him a refund? He was at the resort the whole time. Sounds very unfair how PayPal handled this.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Sounds more and more like the criminal Robert Servis I mention above.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why own timeshare when you can go on vacation for free like this guy???:shrug:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
surely a valid id and credit card information was provided at check in, id be in contact with law enforcement both at your local city/county...as well as orlando police department as thats where the crime was committed.

biggen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to provide an update. I did get an email from Bonnet Creek confirming that the guest stayed at the resort during the dates specified. However, Papal ruled in favor of the Buyer anyway, and this scammer got a full refund. I was told by Bonnet Creek that he had also disputed the charges he had while he was there.

I called Paypal and opened an appeal, and that appeal was granted. But here is the problem - this money comes from Paypal. They do not go back and get it from the Buyer.

The money was not insignificant, but it was the principle of the thing as much as anything for me. I did not want this scammer to get away with it. So I have also opened an investigation with the IC3 (internet crime complaint center). Hopefully they will at least investigate before they summarily dismiss the case.

If anyone has additional thoughts or suggestions or angles I might try to go after this guy, please let me know.

Paypal, in general, seems to side with the buyer more so than the seller. At least, that has been my experience over the past 10+ years I've dealt with them. If I'm selling a product over Paypal, as soon as the transaction is complete I remove the money from Paypal and stick it in my bank account. Even if Paypal rules against you, they can't physically take your money once you remove it from your Paypal account. All they can do is put a hold on your Paypal account until you pay. I'd much rather have a hold put on my Paypal account than lose out on money.

What did the Paypal dispute records show for the buyer? What was his excuse for opening the dispute with Paypal and what did he say?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paypal, in general, seems to side with the buyer more so than the seller. At least, that has been my experience over the past 10+ years I've dealt with them. If I'm selling a product over Paypal, as soon as the transaction is complete I remove the money from Paypal and stick it in my bank account. Even if Paypal rules against you, they can't physically take your money once you remove it from your Paypal account. All they can do is put a hold on your Paypal account until you pay. I'd much rather have a hold put on my Paypal account than lose out on money.

What did the Paypal dispute records show for the buyer? What was his excuse for opening the dispute with Paypal and what did he say?

• 6/14/2017 13:39 EDT - Buyer: I never received this service. I want my money back please.
  • 6/14/2017 11:57 EDT - PayPal: PayPal escalated this dispute to claim.
  • 6/14/2017 11:55 EDT - Buyer: I never got the service for Wyndham Bonnet Creek 3BR Deluxe April 21-28. I want my money back please. Thank you.
When I called in, before speaking to a rep, the automated response was that I had provided "an invalid tracking number". No kidding, it was a confirmation number since it was for services rather than a shipped item. All of which I indicated, along with quite a bit of other documentation, that I suspect was never read until I appealed the decision. I suspect that's why they provided the refund.

I suspect he has done this many many time. Probably changes email addresses, organization names, etc. each time after paypal discovers the fraud. Heck, some folks may just give up rather than fight... it was his misfortune to find the wrong victim this time.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek uses electronic registration now, so they do not have a signed check-in sheet. However, he did sign other receipts while there and Bonnet Creek is gathering them to send to me. I just need to know who is most likely to be interested in receiving them to pursue prosecution.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
What could he have told PayPal that they would give him a refund? He was at the resort the whole time. Sounds very unfair how PayPal handled this.

Yes, it is unfair. The Seller is guilty until proven innocent, and may still be guilty even then. I am looking for alternative payment vehicles now.

biggen

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have also opened an investigation with the IC3 (internet crime complaint center). Hopefully they will at least investigate before they summarily dismiss the case.

I used this service a loooong time a go. At least 10 years ago. I actually got a call back from a police officer in the area that the scammer lived in. The problem was, it had been so long between when I filed the compliant and when I got the call back, I had nearly forgotten why I filed it to begin with. I don't even remember the outcome to be honest of what happened next.

All I can say is perhaps file a police report with your local PD. Maybe they will also have some suggestions...

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, he did sign other receipts while there and Bonnet Creek is gathering them to send to me. I just need to know who is most likely to be interested in receiving them to pursue prosecution.
Sadly, nobody is going to care. You can file a police report locally (mine doesn't cross state lines) or in the city where the scammer "lives." You'll also need to file a small claims suit. Neither of these are likely to go anywhere, but hopefully it's all ammo for future busts. He sounds like a pro who knows exactly what he is doing to stay under the radar.

The IC3 report was a good idea. You'll probably never hear back, but the FBI does read those as I found out a few months after filing mine and hearing from another victim who mentioned my name to the FBI agent they were dealing with. The FBI agent told him that he had read my IC3 report. That was all I ever heard about that. They got the perp on some majorly huge crimes and my reports of stolen identity and abuse of 911 emergency system were not even put on the table. But, all my reports did give more info when they were ready to fry him for his bigger crimes.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
So here is the next sad page in this story.

As I mentioned, I had contacted Wyndham Bonnet Creek to alert them Paypal had ruled in the Buyer's favor, despite all the evidence I had produced. They indicated that the individual had signed receipts while staying there that they could provide me.

Today I received this email from Wyndham Bonnet Creek:

Good Evening Mr. XXXX,

Unfortunately, we cannot send any signed receipts as it a breach in security. We apologize we cannot be more helpful.

Regards,

Clara Giannattasio

Guest Services Manager

Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort

9560 Via Encinas

P.O Box 22819

Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Phone 407-238-3593

Fax 407-238-3501

Clara.Giannattasio@wyn.com

After I gathered myself up off the floor, I sent this response:

A breach in security? I think since this individual claims to have not been there that it cannot possibly breach his security or privacy in any way to produce such a document.

I will be in contact with the Orange County Sheriffs Department.

True to my word, I immediately contacted the Orange County Sheriff's Department. The lack of interest was palpable.

My next door neighbor is a high ranking prosecutor working for the Dept. of Justice. I think I'll run it by him and see what advice he can offer. I just find it sad that it seems to be more important to me than to the many people whose job it actually is to prevent this guy from victimizing anyone else.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you have bottomless pockets, you can get a lawyer and file a lawsuit against him. The attorney can then go to Bonnet Creek and obtain the proof. First thing you may want to do is send them a letter telling them not to destroy anything as it could be evidence in such a lawsuit. Of course, none of this is legal advice, and as one would expect, most people just give up before going this far.