• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

searching for a legit postcard company - what would convince you?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Feastiva's, etc PAY the annual fees. That is a major difference. If they fail it is a true business failure not a plan to fail spelled out from the PPC birth. Big difference and potential for legal fallout.

When these points schemes do fail, and it has already happened a number of times in timesharing, it can be more devastating for resorts than attrition of individual members. I remember a few years ago when it sunk a resort in the Poconos. It has also put a financial strain on one of my SA resorts a few years ago. Several of these points clubs have gone belly up in SA.

TJ38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newton Group Transfers

the situation you find here, is that ANY company willing to take a timeshare that fits into teh above category, is most certainly going to deed it into an LLC and abandon it.

so in essence, you are paying someone hundreds if not thousands of dollars to defraud your timeshare HOA, and all the remaining paying owners who are now obligated to pay for your unit.

sadly, in many cases there are very few options..and even a terrible option is better than no option id gander.

before I personally did that though, id contact everyone and their mother at the resort and HOA and explain that I was approached by said PCC...and were going to use them.

it is far better for the resort to get the unit back willingly (or even have you pay the same fee to them) vs having it deeded into a phantom corp they will never hear from again.

Anyone have any experience or info about Newton Group Transfers? I just finished a webinar with them and my cost to dump my timeshare would be $3,987.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

Anyone have any experience or info about Newton Group Transfers? I just finished a webinar with them and my cost to dump my timeshare would be $3,987.

While I certainly have no particular use for Donate for a Cause, the fact is that they (unlike most PCC's) do put a new and valid name onto a new deed before peddling it off on ebay or elsewhere. That's a big plus.

Most PCC's merely have you execute a Power of Attorney, allowing them to try to dispose of the ownership responsibly (...some don't even bother attempting the "responsibly" route, but instead just launch the ownership onto a bogus LLC or some other such non-accountable and irresponsible "Viking Ship" mechanism).

I'm relatively sure that Donate for a Cause would actually cost you considerably less than the $4k figure you've cited from this obscure and heretofore completely unknown entity called "Newton Group Transfers".

Just food for thought. That said, any PCC, including Donate for a Cause, is (...or should be) an avenue of desperate last resort and I wholeheartedly agree with TUGBrian's comments quoted in post #427 above --- Brian's atrocious punctuation notwithstanding. ;)

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey, if you PayPal me $3986. (save a buck) I'll take it over as long as their is no mortgage on it - and I'll put it in my name!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you PayPal me $3986. (save a buck) I'll take it over as long as their is no mortgage on it - and I'll put it in my name!

Pay me $ 986 and I will put it in Rick's name

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

as long as 2012 fees are paid, you should be able to find someone to take your timeshare for $1000 plus enough to cover next years fees

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you offered $2,000 to take your TS as a bargain deal here, someone would be glad to take it off your hands and you will save yourself another couple grand.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay me $ 986 and I will put it in Rick's name

If you offered $2,000 to take your TS as a bargain deal here, someone would be glad to take it off your hands and you will save yourself another couple grand.

Hey you two, knock off the underbidding - I called dibs :rolleyes:

OprahtheHutt

Reaction score
+1

This argument circles around about every month or so - and a single solution simply can not be implemented.

No legislature would even try to force an HOA to take deed backs since it wouldn't stand up in court.

No group of owners would either as it is not perceived to be in their best interest - simple.

So it is a pipe dream - lets smoke it and move on.

How about a reasoned approach to buy backs? I'd recommend a tiered approach based upon length of ownership with the owner paying the HOA. For example:
< 1 year of ownership: owner pays 40% of original purchase price to HOA to deed back.
Then deduct an additional 5% for every year of ownership beyond the first based upon anniversary date (i.e. 35% for 2 years, 30% for 3...).

This provides the HOA with an offset to MFs and an opportunity for the owner looking to get rid of their "asset" with an out. Yes its more expensive than the PCC, but reduces the downside risk for the HOA.

wawacito

Reaction score
wow - i am the originally poster and started this thread way back in april/may or so. I stopped reading this thread a while ago because it was getting WAY off of the original topic and I was not able to keep up with the MASSIVE amounts of unrelated argumentation it was creating.

I am back to report that I was successful in getting the resort to accept a deedback. They did require me to pay my 2013 maintenance fees to give them at least a little bit of paid time to search for a new owner. I had to pay transfer fees and closing costs - in the end it cost me more than timesharerefuge but less than donateforacause.

I am now happy to say I am timeshare-free. I will never again purchase another one. I might be back from time to time to rent weeks from TUG members.

I'm also quite shocked and in a strange way proud that I started a thread that generated 18 pages. WOW.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
wow - i am the originally poster and started this thread way back in april/may or so. I stopped reading this thread a while ago because it was getting WAY off of the original topic and I was not able to keep up with the MASSIVE amounts of unrelated argumentation it was creating.

I am back to report that I was successful in getting the resort to accept a deedback. They did require me to pay my 2013 maintenance fees to give them at least a little bit of paid time to search for a new owner. I had to pay transfer fees and closing costs - in the end it cost me more than timesharerefuge but less than donateforacause.

I am now happy to say I am timeshare-free. I will never again purchase another one. I might be back from time to time to rent weeks from TUG members.

I'm also quite shocked and in a strange way proud that I started a thread that generated 18 pages. WOW.

See? With some effort it is almost NEVER necessary to pay thousands to any "relief" type timeshare operations (especially since most tend to be scams and may never do as promised after getting your money).

Work to give it back to the resort and/or to transfer to a new, individual and willing owner to enjoy. It is best that way for all involved. Paying any organization an outrageous fee just makes your timeshare ownership experience worse and is hardly ever the best way to end an ownership.

I'm glad to hear this all worked out for the OP (and he DIDN'T pay thousands for no service).

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Posted to wrong thread.

Last edited: