TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Shootout leaves eight dead near Mexico's Los Cabos tourist hub

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by davidvel, May 2, 2017.

1. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
  2. myoakley

myoakley TUG Member

I am so sorry to read this. I feel bad for the hard-working Mexican people who depend on the tourist industry. The drug dealers/gang members have succeeded in driving visitors from Acapulco, and now it seems they are bent on ruining Cabo, also. Although we know that it is statistically unlikely that a tourist, minding his/her own business, will get caught up in the violence, these headlines will keep people away.

3. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Regarding American tourists and unnatural death in Mexico, there were 264 in 2016. These were mostly accidents like drowning, vehicle crashes, over doses and suicide. About 70 were homicides which occurred mainly in Northern Mexico along the border.

In contrast, there were about 27 million Americans that visited Mexico in 2016. 27,000,000 American visitors / 70 homicides = 0.000002592 x 100 = aprox .00002592 % chance of being a victim of homicide in Mexico in 2016. That is really a very very minuscule chance , imo.

There really isn't much info on natural deaths in Mexico. The CDC claims that 1 out of 4 Americans die from heart attack in America. I'm pretty sure heart attacks kill more Americans on vacation in Mexico than any other cause, especially because of the age of most tourists and the language barrier. Here are some useful phrases.

heart attack --- ataque al corizon
    call an ambulance -- llama una ambulencia
    I need help --- Nesicito ayuda

Knowing what hospital you need to be at is very of important. Having trip insurance might be a good idea. We have been buying trip insurance for the last 8 years or so for our trips out of the USA. I was more concerned with accidents while out of country than anything else, and I still am, but now have concerns about health issues as well because I now have health issues.

Bill

mpumilia and T-Dot-Traveller like this.
  4. nazclk

nazclk TUG Member

Actually the shootings stated above were the result of a drug raid by Federales, one officer was killed , the rest were narcos.

easyrider likes this.
  5. bankr63

bankr63 TUG Member

Love the numbers easyrider. I made the same argument here a few years ago, and point out that the rate of deaths from airline accidents is 117 deaths per billion journeys. So the likelihood of dying in a airplane crash on the trip (2 journeys) is almost the same at 0.0000234%. And yet everyone is okay with taking that flight.

easyrider likes this.
  6. Ty1on

Ty1on TUG Member

Another very important phrase:

Una cerveza más delante del hospital, por favor

easyrider likes this.
  7. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    I was thinking that if a person needed to go to the hospital they would likely get there faster by taking a taxi. Taxis are every where and if your conscious and not a bloody mess they would likely give you a ride. The taxi driver might even have a beer for Ty1on, lol.

Bill

8. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    [​IMG]
    Source link: CNN
    These are considered "conflict deaths", not run of the mill homicides. U.S. total homicides are about 15,000.

easyrider likes this.
  9. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    That is interesting davidvel. Also interesting is the gruesome mid-evil way some of these homicides are committed and the proximity to tourist areas.

I find it interesting 27 miilion Americans went to Mexico on vacation in 2016 with only 70 homicides. It seems to suggest that Americans vacationing in Mexico are not really targets of the drug cartels.

I doubt that too many Americans vacationed in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Yemen and I would think that Americans are targets in these countries.

This news does reflect poorly on Mexico as a vacation destination and I wonder how soon it will reflect on resort occupancy.

Bill

10. bankr63

bankr63 TUG Member

11. pianoetudes

pianoetudes TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
    I thought the statistic says Americans are likely to die from car accident.

12. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I do know 100% of Americans die from something at some point.

13. Ty1on

Ty1on TUG Member

You only know that about those who have died.... :cheer:

14. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Yes, unfortunately

15. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    Maybe so, but heart disease deaths are 1 out of 4 deaths in the USA. Looking at the chart it kind of leads me to believe that unintentional injury, which includes car accidents, is a leading cause of death of those under 45. I fall under the 55-65 age bracket and it looks like heart disease is the leading cause of death. Unintentional injury comes in at number 7 for my age group.

Bill

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

[​IMG]