• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should we upgrade from legacy to Hyatt pure points

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Ok our new best friend replied - Breckenridge, Hawaii and aspen are not in PPP - his Lips were moving....
There is not an Aspen in Hyatt that I am aware of

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Again, can't divulge my source, but I too have first-hand knowledge (not from a salesperson's mouth) of the new PPP program, and to my surprise, legacy owners will have flexibility. Legacy owners will have several options, including purchasing points. I must say II has done a good job with this, IMO..
So if you join PP do you give up your week and your ability to bid on Hawaii and Colorado?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you join PP do you give up your week and your ability to bid on Hawaii and Colorado?

I'm not sure exactly how this will work, but I believe II will charge current legacy owners fees for added flexibility.. The key takeaway is that current legacy owners will have some flexibility with the new system, but there will be fees attached. There is no need to rush into buying points until the particulars of the new system are formally announced, which should be soon.. At that point, people can make decisions that benefit them..

bobby111

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Again, can't divulge my source, but I too have first-hand knowledge (not from a salesperson's mouth) of the new PPP program, and to my surprise, legacy owners will have flexibility. Legacy owners will have several options, including purchasing points. I must say II has done a good job with this, IMO..
I hope so !!!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We already have 2000 points at BH - we would add 400 points to move up a category, it would cost $7000 dollars, but I can offset that by using a guest certificate for some of the incentives they would give us.

BIG FACTOR, IF WE BUY POINTS RESALE - THEY WILL NOT COMBINE THE TWO ACCOUNTS - so if unless you use your deeded week every year, the new system is going to blow up the legacy accounts.......
If you transfer to PPP and move up a category you will have 2400 points. The total cost would be $7000 plus your BH resort week. I'm not clear if the $7K is for the additional 400 points ($17.50/point); or the BH transfer fee plus money for the 400 points?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The very most important feature of the PPP is the available inventory in that system. My understanding is the HRC resorts in that system are only those that are formally transferred by owners joining the PPP plus unsold inventory.

To me, that is a deal killer as there will be extremely limited availability in the PPP.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, II may increase inventory by offering current legacy owners an opportunity to convert to PPP (for a fee) on an annual basis. From what I know, II learned from the mistakes of the Marriott program and will make the PPP better with more flexibility.

bobby111

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Kal, II may increase inventory by offering current legacy owners an opportunity to convert to PPP (for a fee) on an annual basis.
Any guess how much on annual fee?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any guess how much on annual fee?
My guess is it will be higher than in the legacy program. Reason is add up all the MFs for the units contained in the PPP (transferred HRC units plus other resorts plus unsold inventory) and divide that by the number of PPP players. In effect, if you transferred a low MF unit into PPP, your new MF will include a portion of the MF for any high-end units (e.g. Aspen) which are in the PPP. The sum of the MF will be high compared to the relatively low number of PPP players.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, II may increase inventory by offering current legacy owners an opportunity to convert to PPP (for a fee) on an annual basis. From what I know, II learned from the mistakes of the Marriott program and will make the PPP better with more flexibility.
So for one year, I give up my HRC unit(s) and pay an unknown MF and have very limited choice of PPP resorts. I would be curious how many HRC owners would take that bait.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So for one year, I give up my HRC unit(s) and pay an unknown MF and have very limited choice of PPP resorts. I would be curious how many HRC owners would take that bait.

Really depends on how they set it up. If they allow legacy owners to see PPP inventory right before they transfer and the fee is modest (which I suspect it will be), I think there may be a number of takers. Also, there may be a good bit of additional PPP inventory as Hyatt as been quite aggressive with ROFR at certain resorts, as of late. II is trying to give legacy owners some flexibility, but it will come with a cost. PPP is likely going to be better than Marriott's point system.

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can book at 15 months "priority access"

You should verify what units you can book - PPP or legacy weeks? You could book a PPP trust week at 15 months out, but won't be able to book a deeded legacy week 15 months out - deeded weeks aren't issued their week until 12 months prior to check in. No points program can trump a deed and legacy owners control their deeded week 6 months prior to check in.

so if unless you use your deeded week every year, the new system is going to blow up the legacy accounts.......

For that to happen, the PPP owners would have to have access to the legacy weeks - see above and see below.

II may increase inventory by offering current legacy owners an opportunity to convert to PPP (for a fee) on an annual basis. From what I know, II learned from the mistakes of the Marriott program and will make the PPP better with more flexibility.

Being able to toggle in/out of the PPP is just what was mentioned as an option 2-3 months ago to entice legacy owners to participate in the PPP. Expect HRC had to do this as they do not have enough weeks in the Trust to support widespread PPP use at the older/sold out properties. No doubt HRC has been stepping up their ROFR take backs in recent months, but it has been NO WHERE near the level that the salespeople have been stating.

FWIW: just don't see that many legacy owners jumping at the PPP. But will be interesting to see what is PPP has to offer to legacy owners that would entice them to open their wallets AND give up their deeded week. However, the PPP may work for legacy owners that don't ever use their week.

bobby111

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
You should verify what units you can book - PPP or legacy weeks? You could book a PPP trust week at 15 months out, but won't be able to book a deeded legacy week 15 months out - deeded weeks aren't issued their week until 12 months prior to check in. No points program can trump a deed and legacy owners control their deeded week 6 months prior to check in.

For that to happen, the PPP owners would have to have access to the legacy weeks - see above and see below.

Being able to toggle in/out of the PPP is just what was mentioned as an option 2-3 months ago to entice legacy owners to participate in the PPP. Expect HRC had to do this as they do not have enough weeks in the Trust to support widespread PPP use at the older/sold out properties. No doubt HRC has been stepping up their ROFR take backs in recent months, but it has been NO WHERE near the level that the salespeople have been stating.

FWIW: just don't see that many legacy owners jumping at the PPP. But will be interesting to see what is PPP has to offer to legacy owners that would entice them to open their wallets AND give up their deeded week. However, the PPP may work for legacy owners that don't ever use their week.

bobby111

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt

Yes our issue is we own a Key West 2000 point week, we come down to key west 2-3 times a year - but never once used our deeded week!

bobby111

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Really depends on how they set it up. If they allow legacy owners to see PPP inventory right before they transfer and the fee is modest (which I suspect it will be), I think there may be a number of takers. Also, there may be a good bit of additional PPP inventory as Hyatt as been quite aggressive with ROFR at certain resorts, as of late. II is trying to give legacy owners some flexibility, but it will come with a cost. PPP is likely going to be better than Marriott's point system.
Kal the MF goes UP, UP, UP our current MF is around 1293, it would go up $500 dollars to around $1850!!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal the MF goes UP, UP, UP our current MF is around 1293, it would go up $500 dollars to around $1850!!!
At some point an owner has to give serious thought to the MF. At original purchase time, the resort itself took center stage and the MF was a line item. Now with continuous annual increases there will come a point where it doesn't compute. My guess is the VRBO and Airbnb approach will have a much larger impact over time. A $1850 MF would equate to $260/night so we have to continue to consider the numbers. What is the break point??? Then too every year we all seem to get a year older and our life style needs change. Just another number to consider.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on how you use your TS(s) and associated points. If you can use your points to exchange into resorts, such as Hawaii, you're going to come out way ahead. Also, I can easily get 2 weeks at excellent Marriotts (in FL and Palm Desert) in 1 BR units. Earlier this year, I got a 2 BR in FL (although had to pay a small upgrade fee) during the Holiday season for 870 points. So, TSing still is a huge bargain for us..

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yikes, a 40% increase in MF is a big jump. Would need to be a lot of benefits to the PPP for a legacy owner to pay $7K to give up their week for a higher MF. Can't wait to read/hear all the PPP details.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes, a 40% increase in MF is a big jump. Would need to be a lot of benefits to the PPP for a legacy owner to pay $7K to give up their week for a higher MF. Can't wait to read/hear all the PPP details.
Pretty soon it's like REAL MONEY!

The more I see, the more I think Hyatt is targeting new buyers and not so much legacy owners. They will throw a few crumbs to entice transfer, but they probably realize it would take too much to get legacy's to give up their unit(s).

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if I'm paying huge PP MFs then I'd rather just buy a Hawaii unit. Makes no sense to pay increases in MF. The 7,000 is less of an issue for me but both, I would have to get a heck of a lot more to make it worthwhile.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
KAL - have you seen it yet? We are in Key West now....going back out for some snokerling - but considering making the move.

You can also check in any day - no limit on check in day - it appears to be a much easier system to use.
I'm in Key West as well at the Winward Pointe and they have talked to me twice about buying in. Thankfully with my daughter graduating from high school in the next week my money is spoken for the next 4 years

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
The more I see, the more I think Hyatt is targeting new buyers and not so much legacy owners. They will throw a few crumbs to entice transfer, but they probably realize it would take too much to get legacy's to give up their unit(s).

Agreed that the PPP does not sound very enticing to the legacy owner. However, there has to be something to attract the legacy owner to buy into the PPP as HRC needs access to the legacy owner weeks to provide adequate selection for the PPP - otherwise, the PPP has a limited number of trust resort locations and weeks. Yes/No?