• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Smuggs Club Owners To Get Exit Letter Sometime This Week

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Evidently all inventory derived from this program will go to Wyndham. Being a long time owner I am very curious as to what will be offered. Any thoughts?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fee increases and higher maintenance fees. . .

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Evidently all inventory derived from this program will go to Wyndham. Being a long time owner I am very curious as to what will be offered. Any thoughts?

Having gone to the Smuggs site out of curiosity for resale prices, they would have to offer something close to the current market rate would they not?

$90k for a seasonal ownership. $300k for a half-share?

Unless those asking prices are inflated, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Having gone to the Smuggs site out of curiosity for resale prices, they would have to offer something close to the current market rate would they not?

$90k for a seasonal ownership. $300k for a half-share?

Unless those asking prices are inflated, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the share owners as I am a club owner. But, let's face it- timeshares are not really selling so they are more or less worthless.

The thing is, most of the club owners there are still weeks or RCI points owners and have not converted to Wyndham. Only about 15% of owners have. Rather than build more units, I think they are trying to get them from present owners who are ageing out. So they did a survey back in the Fall and we have all been anxiously awaiting the results and what their offer or program might be.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will down play the value, talk about the expense and outlay it will take to bring them up to Wyndham standards, mention a major special assessment coming for issues that don't exist, etc. They'll make it sound like the world will end for you financially and paint a dreary picture unless you convert to Wyndham. Plan on getting screwed. If you like what you have then sell it to Wyndham, get what you can get for it and go on this website, eBay, etc., and buy it back for pennies on the dollar off the second market. Save tens of thousands of dollars and then go on vacation. . .

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Attitash Mountain Village
Can someone please clarify what the issue is? Is Wyndham trying to buy out and end the Ownership Program at Smugglers' Notch? I was interested in buying either a FamilyShare or EquiShare. I have my first Smuggs vacation scheduled for this coming July and was going to ask about this program and look at any available units. Is this going away? They are still advertising it on smuggs.com...

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Can someone please clarify what the issue is? Is Wyndham trying to buy out and end the Ownership Program at Smugglers' Notch? I was interested in buying either a FamilyShare or EquiShare. I have my first Smuggs vacation scheduled for this coming July and was going to ask about this program and look at any available units. Is this going away? They are still advertising it on smuggs.com...

The only issue is that many owners - like at other resorts- are ageing out and are looking for a way to divest themselves of the ownership. These are both share owners and club owners. Meanwhile, with Wyndham now in the picture, many owners also do not want to convert. Originally the resort had plans to build more units because more Wyndham inventory is needed for the exchangers and purchasers. But- most Smuggs owners use their home weeks limiting availability.

Hence, the management first changed all the private rental rules and lastly now they are going to offer owners a way to say goodbye to their Smuggs ownership.

It is much cheaper to take back the weeks/ units that already exist that do new construction.

My opinion- and I have owned there since 1999- is that they would like the whole resort to be Wyndham. It is still privately owned.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The share ownerships are not going away as far as I know. And people are still buying at Smuggs - but resale- which is smart. Most of those are fixed or RCI points club ownerships.

If you buy a share ownership I would look very hard at rental numbers because if you are depending on rentals to pay your maintenance fees ( which is their sales pitch) - well- good luck with that. Things were bad a few years ago with those rentals because of the rise of the Internet and club owners renting their weeks. The resort has now made it very hard for club owners to rent their weeks tying it in with the use of benefits and an expensive amenities usage package for the club owners' renters.

This new policy has been in effect for a year now so I guess it's possible things have turned around a bit for share owners, but call me cynical, I doubt it.

The fees/ taxes every year are very high on share ownerships. You could buy a small summer home in Northern Vermont for that matter.

bobbyoc23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Desert
Attitash Mountain Village
Thank you for your candid response. If you don't mind me asking, what type of ownership do you have, Full, FamilyShare, EquiShare or WinterShare?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you for your candid response. If you don't mind me asking, what type of ownership do you have, Full, FamilyShare, EquiShare or WinterShare?

I have a simple yearly deeded club ownership- fixed summer week 30 with an "attached" off season floater week with dates that vary from year to year. Just 2 weeks per year. I did not covert to Wyndham Points or even RCI points.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone is happy with what they have then there is no reason to convert. On the other hand, if Wyndham becomes the management company you can count on maintenance fees and other fees increasing on your fixed week. Then Wyndham will show you how much money you'll save by converting and the benefits that go along with Wyndham points, but it will cost you a lot of money and it may be hard to get a reservation for week 30, your former fixed week, if you convert.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If someone is happy with what they have then there is no reason to convert. On the other hand, if Wyndham becomes the management company you can count on maintenance fees and other fees increasing on your fixed week. Then Wyndham will show you how much money you'll save by converting and the benefits that go along with Wyndham points, but it will cost you a lot of money and it may be hard to get a reservation for week 30, your former fixed week, if you convert.

Oh I have no intention of converting. I am actually going to consider divesting of it depending on what the offer is. We are really not ready to get rid of it. We still love it. We were thinking in maybe 5+ years after we retire and move and will be towards 70 at that point. But- I assume that the offer- if it is a viable offer to take back- might have a deadline of some kind on it, so we will have to evaluate it. I am really jumping the gun here, but I am very curious as to what the exit proposal will be. If it would be some form of Ovation or something else. Will they offer money for the ownerships or will they make us pay something to them to take it back, etc.

Right now Wyndham only handles sales, but there is no doubt they have a major influence on everything that goes on at the resort now. The resort is currently a mish mash of fixed deeded weeks owners, RCI points owners and Wyndham owners, as well as full and partial year share owners.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So received the email today and though it did not spell out all the details yet it basically seems a lot like the Ovation program. They call it the "Farewell" program. Supposedly more details to follow. We qualify for the take back based on the criteria in the email.

My next question is- if an owner wants to turn their ownership back to the resort, what happens if the owner has already done an exchange for the following year- in this case 2018? Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing? Supposedly they will be offering the take back to a limited amount of owners for this year- not sure about next year if they will even offer it.

Just two weeks ago I exchanged my 2018 floater week (which is attached to the fixed week in the ownership) for 2018. Funny- 'cause I rarely exchange and wouldn't you know it... this possibility happens. It was in the back of my mind that maybe I should not exchange it, but there was a good trade for us and I didn't want to lose it in the event the take back offer wasn't a good one (like if they wanted us to pay them money to take it back and so on). Plus, they weren't even sure they were going to do the program. So- I exchanged our float week 42 with TP while I had the opportunity. Our fixed week is never traded. Now I am wondering if it was the right thinking to do considering all this.

But I do own a so-called deluxe unit during a prime summer week. My husband and I are seriously considering giving it back- once we have all the information. The resort did say in the email they would pay all transfer costs.

So I am hoping the fact that I exchanged a week in 2018 won't hinder the process if we definitely want to go through with giving back our ownership. More input please.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
So received the email today and though it did not spell out all the details yet it basically seems a lot like the Ovation program. They call it the "Farewell" program. Supposedly more details to follow. We qualify for the take back based on the criteria in the email.

My next question is- if an owner wants to turn their ownership back to the resort, what happens if the owner has already done an exchange for the following year- in this case 2018? Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing? Supposedly they will be offering the take back to a limited amount of owners for this year- not sure about next year if they will even offer it.

Just two weeks ago I exchanged my 2018 floater week (which is attached to the fixed week in the ownership) for 2018. Funny- 'cause I rarely exchange and wouldn't you know it... this possibility happens. It was in the back of my mind that maybe I should not exchange it, but there was a good trade for us and I didn't want to lose it in the event the take back offer wasn't a good one (like if they wanted us to pay them money to take it back and so on). Plus, they weren't even sure they were going to do the program. So- I exchanged our float week 42 with TP while I had the opportunity. Our fixed week is never traded. Now I am wondering if it was the right thinking to do considering all this.

But I do own a so-called deluxe unit during a prime summer week. My husband and I are seriously considering giving it back- once we have all the information. The resort did say in the email they would pay all transfer costs.

So I am hoping the fact that I exchanged a week in 2018 won't hinder the process if we definitely want to go through with giving back our ownership. More input please.

I thought you really enjoyed your Smuggs week.....

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We do! But- this could be an opportunity to divest ourselves of the responsibility before we retire. And while there is a viable offer right in front of us it is worth considering. We could always rent from Wyndham owners - maybe for the exact week we now own- and we would keep our other Timeshare in NH.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Give back your FLOATER week .. reduce your MFs... that is the least valuable week.

Keep the one you enjoy & can rent for a profit (?)

Wyndham is not stupid ... if requiring you to give back both weeks .. most pwners would be temped to say "NO". As a fixed week resort, they will most likely have to keep the concept of EQUAL MFs for all deeded weeks... just like at Sea Gardens & Santa Barbara. (Sea Gardens has 5 different HOAs ... each with their own MFs costs & billings ... Just like Smuggs?)

Getting back offseason weeks, Wyndham can get more guests to visit ... and try to convert them to owners. Wyndham has great SKILL turning a full rooms of sales guests into owners. ... 3 day weekend trips/4 day midweeks stays offseason promising them PRIME ski week vacations or July 4th weeks. Then to get more sales later ... buying back the HIGH DEMAND weeks quietly.

PS All deeds on the give backs are transfer to CWA.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Smuggs weeks are connected you can't sell or giveaway the floater with out the attached fixed week. That was there solution for the off season. It worked for years and people were willing to pay the full double MF for both weeks, or the alternate which was EOY prime fixed and EOY off season floater.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I did get a response from management in regards to my question about owners who have already exchanged or banked their weeks/points. The person who responded did not know the answer and said as they develop the program would have to take it into consideration. What- they didn't think of that? She was also was surprised to hear that I use the independent exchange companies. Said she never heard of anyone using them (I assume she meant of Smuggs owners).

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Ovation has taken back deeded weeks. From what I have heard, if you used the week (depoisted/exchanged or used as home week) that was ok as long as you paid the MF for the week. On the other hand if you paid the MF and have not changed or deposited you may (but may not) get that back.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ovation has taken back deeded weeks. From what I have heard, if you used the week (depoisted/exchanged or used as home week) that was ok as long as you paid the MF for the week. On the other hand if you paid the MF and have not changed or deposited you may (but may not) get that back.

So I guess there is a possibility in my case that I could pay the maintenance fee for the 2018 floater week if I decide to give my ownership back and that would be that?. But- how does that still work? I have paid to exchange the week already and given it to Trading Places. Do I then still go on the exchange vacation? How can Wyndham/Smuggs sell my ownership to someone else if my floater week is sitting in the Trading Places inventory or if someone else takes that floater week from TP for an exchange?

Hard for me to wrap my head around since I am a fixed week owner, but Wyndham sells points ownerships.

I guess I just have to be patient and see what transpires in the next few weeks. All the while I still have mixed feelings about giving it back. Still haven't made a definitive decision but am leaning towards doing so depending on the details.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
What Wyndham would likely do is to place the deeded weeks in to the CWA trust and sell the equivalent points for the two weeks. Your particular points would then be earmarked as not being "available" until 1/1/2019.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
What Wyndham would likely do is to place the deeded weeks in to the CWA trust and sell the equivalent points for the two weeks. Your particular points would then be earmarked as not being "available" until 1/1/2019.

I see. So Wyndham would convert the 2 weeks to points and keep it in a trust. I would have usage of both weeks in in 2018- paying my maintenance fees and so forth for the two of them. After that I no longer would own it and then Wyndham would make the points available to purchase for 2019 going forward. Now that makes sense to me. Do I have that right? Let's see if they do that. Thanks.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Yes, they seem to be adding anything they take back to the CWA trust. The unit size and association would determine the total points, so a 2 bedroom in Tamaracks, Aspen or Sycamores would be 224,000 points for the summer week and 182,000 for the off season week, for a total of 406,000 CWA points they could sell (with no need to worry about what season they were trying to sell).