• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So many regrets

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Was scepticle at first but now enjoy going places and staying in timeshares. Have 7 weeks all different places. Still discovering new places to stay.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Our St Maarten timeshare has helped us make nearly 20 years of wonderful spring break memories. It was a week that allowed us to slow down, relax on the beach and have fun together while escaping the winter cold. It's trading value is crummy but we don't care because we love going to the island. Our kids are in their 20s now and still want to come. Even the married one came this year with our new son in law. Even though we bought from the developer, the price wasn't that high, so over time we've done ok in recouping our purchase amount. No regrets for us.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry... rant over.

Just out of curiosity, are you one of those poor unfortunate souls who bought an interval at one of those dreaded sales presentations? If so, I can totally understand your frustration. They probably pressured you into paying tens of thousands of dollars for something that you really did not need or take time to really think about.

But as many TUGgers have said in this thread, if you buy resale and take time to think about your travel needs, then do a lot of research and soul-searching, timeshares can be a good buy for your vacations.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most who bought from Developers probably have regrets. Those who bought Resale, probably not. In a way I'm in both camps. Many years ago I bought 4 Weeks from a Developer; saw the error of my ways and sold (believe it or not at a small profit); then I bought 6 Weeks at HOA Controlled Independents for a total of about $8,000; and used them for years. As I phased out traveling (age and health) I slowly got rid of all 6. The end result was many years of enjoyable use at a cost of $8,000 plus MFs. Very happy with result.

George

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have bought four timeshares and sold three since about 1998, all bought resale after reading up and studying on TUG. As our family changed, our needs changed and we were able to change our timeshares accordingly. I sold two of our weeks before the recession for what I paid for them, and gave away our South African timeshare after getting fabulous trades for the price. Now just have Marriott Grande Vista because of grandkids! Bought for $1500 and can lock off and get two units for an $1100 annual maintenance fee. I couldn't be happier!

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have bought into a Timeshare points system from the Developer. I am happy and would do it again.

I have bought resale Timeshare weeks. I am happy and will be buying more.

I have profited on many of my rentals (Renting for above the annual MFs).

There are many many happy people around here for sure. I am glad to have found this site though, as it has helped me to buy smarter than I would have on my own!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
The best advice I can give is buy resale at a place that you enjoy going, so if you don't exchange you will stay at the same place you bought, as StMartin Fan explained.
Silentg

middleoforchid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc, HPrincess, DSV2, MKO, MARtrust pts. Hokulani
Our first timeshare CIntrawest from 1997 developer purchase we are still using every year, albeit with different usages learned from other Tug members. As for other ones that were bought resale, some we gave away on Tug while another one in Velas Vallarta we finished the 12 wks contract.The rest we still use annually! The last one we bought again from developer for destination points to enroll some of my weeks that was purchased after the cut-off( found out from Tug). We are very pleased with what we have now and will still purchase developer or resale when the situation arises.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say getting into Marriott TSs 16 years ago changed the course of my family's lives tremendously in a very positive way. I'm sure we would have taken vacations but without our Marriott TSs there is no way we go to Maui (7 trips) and HHI (8 trips) so many times without our TS investment and these trips has brought us so close together more than anything else we do as a family. We took it further than most and got into the rental of our excess weeks and now have 24 Marriott weeks that we rent very successfully and that has put one kid through college and now working on the second.

I do wonder about the broader TS owner because let's face it TUGGERS are savvy folks and most of us are very happy but we turned something potentially negative into a positive and their are millions of TS other owners out there.

I think it's fair to say the timeshare industry still has a negative image to this day, although perhaps not as bad as it was 10-20 years ago.

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought our Marriott Oceanwatch from the Developer and 2 weeks at The Royal Sands resale (after finding TUG). They both offer totally different experiences. We bought MOW in 2008 and this year is the first time not trading for Hawaii or the Caribbean. Our kids wanted to go someplace they could drive to so we're going to try it out. We always go to the Sands. Nice and relaxing before the holidays. This year because of owning timeshares we have 7 weeks of vacation. In April we're spending 2 weeks in Grand Cayman because we traded our lock-offs at the Sands. May we'll be in Arizona on points from enrolling our Marriott into the points program. June is when we're going for the first time to Oceanwatch. We got an II Accommodation Certificate that we're using for Las Vegas in September. In December we'll spend our 2 weeks at the Sands. We LOVE it. I give credit to people on TUG for making me aware of all the ins and outs of timesharing.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I agree with MOXJO7282. We were "lucky" and naive to purchase from Marriott years ago. We made use of our week and look forward every year. We are now looking to add to our Hawaii week through Redweek and TUG. The information TUG provides and wealth of knowledge is priceless and as a family, we are able to be truly together and enjoy our vacations.

overthehill

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark since 1998 - Stayed at WM 61 resorts so far, but slowing down
My wife would tell you that had we not bought our first timeshare in 1985, I would never have taken a vacation. We bought a four week segment (one week each quarter) at Wapato Point in Lake Chelan, WA from an owner for far less than the developer was asking. Although we didn't use the winter week, used weekends of the two shoulder season weeks, we always used the summer week and having the scheduled time forced me to arrange vacation time at the bank. We had a ball. We sold in 1989 and basically got what we paid for it. Bought a RED week at Whiski Jack Resorts in Whistler, BC, Canada from the developer, an unit we never used and found to be a poor trader with the exchange companies. Dumped it in 1999 by selling it back to the developer for a substantail loss (slow learner).

Bought 6,000 WorldMark credits in 1998 after attending a sales presentation, went home and found a similar 6,000 credits on RPMI at about half the cost. Rescinded the sale with WorldMark within the time alloted. Since then we purchased four more contracts on the secondary, the last one for about 30 cents a credit. So far we've stayed at 51 WM resorts and mostly exchange through both II and RCI more often in the last two years. Why? We found it easier to get confirmations at the resorts we want to stay at, either WM or others through the exchange companies, since we can start searches up to two years in advance, AND because since Wyndham took over WorldMark/Trendwest, our ownership has taken a backseat to those WM owners who have bought into Wyndham's programs, such as TravelShare, the offerings of which I can beat every time when it comes to booking travel.

Regrets? Absolutely not. As pointed out by many Tuggers in response to the question, in order to get the best results as the owner of a timeshare, IMHO, one MUST become knowledgeable about every aspect of their timeshare ownership by becoming a student of their program. One must take the time to become well versed on how to manipulate the 'system' to their advantage. It amazes me how many WM owners I meet who have no idea how the WM program works and have not taken advantage of On-line Learning Center on WM's website. Reading TUG comments also adds a great deal to one's understanding of what's going on in the industry. Thanks to all Tuggers who care to share information on TUG. Cheers!:clap:

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Bought our first timeshare from the developer, then rescinded when I found TUG and did my research. Later bought 3 resale t/s and we are very happy with the trips we have taken.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife would tell you that had we not bought our first timeshare in 1985, I would never have taken a vacation. ........

It amazes me how many WM owners I meet who have no idea how the WM program works and have not taken advantage of On-line Learning Center on WM's website. Reading TUG comments also adds a great deal to one's understanding of what's going on in the industry. Thanks to all Tuggers who care to share information on TUG. Cheers!:clap:

I think many really will agree with your first sentence that had it not been for TSing they wouldn't have taken as many vacations and certainly not to as many different places. I know that is for sure for us. We wouldn't have been able to afford all the Maui trips had we not invested in multiple Marriotts to use and rent. No way no how.

And I agree also on how amazing it is that many owners don't know there own system and don't even know about the resale market and TUG or II. I'd say less than 40% of the owners I run into at the resorts seem to me as savvy TS owners.

Signs

Reaction score
My wife Hates our Timeshare. Now by saying this, what she hates is paying the Maintenance fee on January 1. We bought our timeshare about 20 years ago, and paid it off in less than 10 years. The maintenance fee has increased every year of course. The last 2 years they have increased dramatically.
Now with the above being said, after we paid on Jan. 1 every year, the first question from my wife is "Who are we going to invite this year?" We have a fixed week, and vacation the same week every year. We have a long list of visitors who have come and gone over the years. Some were co-workers, some are friends and some are family of course. A few have passed away. It is a 2 bedroom lockout on the ocean.
When my mom and dad passed away they left us a vacation home in the mountains. Of course it was divided up among myself, my brother, and my sisters. Within a few months after my mother (the last to pass away) I got a phone call from a sister that wanted to buy it. I told her, I would just sign it over to her, but she insisted on paying, so I said that is fine.
What I learned from that mountain vacation home is that I never want to own a vacation home. It was located 4 hours away from were we lived, and the upkeep was expensive over the years, even though my mom and dad paid for the repairs. Still the lawn had to be cut in the summer every two to four weeks, in which I was the one that did it normally. Also, someone had to be there to have repairs done, or someone had to do them. Nothing was better than taking a Friday off from work, leaving from home on Thursday night to make sure you are there on Friday morning, and the contractor scheduled to show up did not arrive, or arrive late, and tell you that it will take 3 or 4 days to do the repair. Sorry to tell you contractors do not work in rural areas on weekends.
Now after this, let me give you some numbers, and why Timeshares are so expensive.
Most people think that the highest price of owning a vacation home is buying it. That is not the case. The most expensive cost of owning a vacation home is the maintenance! Even if you own your vacation home outright, you can start with the tax bill. At least $1000 per year. Utility bill, even at 25 dollars per month that is $300 dollars per year. Just with those 2 you are at $1300 dollars per year. If you can manage doing the repairs etc... yourself, most likely that will be in your vacation time and you have the buy the materials to do them. Myself, I do not care to do maintenance repairs on my vacation. That is one of the reasons I go on vacation, is to get away from the famous - Honey-Do list.
Now I am not telling you that a vacation Home/Condo cannot make you money, however, for most they are a money drain. I do know someone that does own a vacation condo that makes money from it, and can use it any time they desire, he still needs to keep the weeks rented. You will always find someone that is the exception if you look hard enough, but for most of us, that is not the case.
Now I am someone that lives in a vacation home full time now. My wife and I did not buy it until we retired. It is in a small waterside town. I also own another home that I rent out that is in the city. On top of this, I own a timeshare not too far from the home in the city.
My advice to anyone that wants to buy an RV/Camper, vacation home etc... Is to buy a timeshare. A camper is alright providing you buy a reasonable cost piece of property to park it on, and build a shed to park it in, however, you will still have maintenance cost and taxes.
Now the place to buy a timeshare is within 2 to 4 hours from were you live. (No further than a days drive away at the most). The reason why, is because you can actually enjoy it. I also recommend that you buy it from an owner on Tug (here) or aftermarket. I would not buy one from a developer. Last time I checked you can own up to 10 you can deduct on your taxes. You need to check on that.
I will also tell you, if you are a business owner, they are especially a good deal for you, I am sure you can figure out why?
Oh, about my wife, she complains about it every year. At home and some more why we are on vacation, however, the only thing she regrets about owning it is buying it and how she feels we got taken. I think if I would die today, she would keep it. So, the truth is that all the grief I have taken over the years about it, she would do it again.

rpennisi

Reaction score
We have been timeshare owners since 1986. We bought a Presidents' Week in the Poconos PA, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths about 2 1/2 hours from home. So much better than a motel room with 2 kids back then. It was a resale from the developer, so cheaper than new. We don't use it anymore, but my grown son does every week 7 to ski as he is off from work that week.

The next was an every other year Buganvileas in Puerto Vallarta, hotel room from developer that I always deposit and trade for much better (usually a one bedroom suite at the Buganvileas in PV!!) through RCI.

That followed with 2 MX timeshares bought on Ebay and a Vegas week also on Ebay. We almost always deposit the MX timeshares with RCI and get great trades, better than our deposits. The Vegas week is deposited (when not used) in II which gets even better trades still (Marriotts, Grand Luxxe, etc).

When the 25 years run out, we will let the 3 MX weeks go, so we will still have the PA and Vegas weeks to use. But I will miss those MX weeks and the great trades we have made with them.

I might even sell (give away) the MX weeks toward the end of the contract to someone who would want to continue another 25 years, as they come with a vacation fair trade week as well.

Put me down as a very satisfied owner. Friends call me "Vacationing Ronnie".

taffy19

Reaction score
We have been timeshare owners since 1986. We bought a Presidents' Week in the Poconos PA, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths about 2 1/2 hours from home. So much better than a motel room with 2 kids back then. It was a resale from the developer, so cheaper than new. We don't use it anymore, but my grown son does every week 7 to ski as he is off from work that week.

The next was an every other year Buganvileas in Puerto Vallarta, hotel room from developer that I always deposit and trade for much better (usually a one bedroom suite at the Buganvileas in PV!!) through RCI.

That followed with 2 MX timeshares bought on Ebay and a Vegas week also on Ebay. We almost always deposit the MX timeshares with RCI and get great trades, better than our deposits. The Vegas week is deposited (when not used) in II which gets even better trades still (Marriotts, Grand Luxxe, etc).

When the 25 years run out, we will let the 3 MX weeks go, so we will still have the PA and Vegas weeks to use. But I will miss those MX weeks and the great trades we have made with them.

I might even sell (give away) the MX weeks toward the end of the contract to someone who would want to continue another 25 years, as they come with a vacation fair trade week as well.

Put me down as a very satisfied owner. Friends call me "Vacationing Ronnie".
We also bought a 1 BR condo in the oceanfront building at the Buganvilias in Puerto Vallarta and love visiting there every year.

We have no regrets owning timeshares because we bought where we love to vacation right on the beach. We consider them our home away from home without having to do any upkeep. Our closest timeshare is only about 20 minutes away from home.

However, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy from a developer and in no more than a few hours' driving distance so you do not have to fly and rent a car. Our very first timeshare we bought was in the early 80s in Maui and we purchased a few more weeks there so that it was worth our trip.

No regrets really but there are more economic ways to have done this and TUG is the place to get educated!

ladyshay

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems as though, if you come to visit this site among others and read the posts, there are so many people that are sorry they ever purchased their timeshare.

One day they woke up and thought, why did I ever do this? It seemed so promising and wonderful at the time. Now, it's nothing more than a heavy financial burden that they carry and can't get out from under.

Isn't there anyone out there that's happy with their decision and would do it again? Isn't there anyone out there that has indeed profited, no matter how small, by renting out a timeshare they couldn't make use of?

Come on people. There must be more than a few that are happy with their decision.

Sorry... rant over.

It WAS promising and wonderful at the time. That was 1992 when I was 50, had a husband, and we enjoyed our timeshare in Kona, Hawaii. Fast forward 25 years . . . I'm now 75 and a widow with no interest in traveling. Continuing to pay the maintenance fee is a burden on my limited income, and figuring out how to rent or sell (which I've attempted to do, actually) is using my precious time doing something unrewarding. Just think about the future, people . . . life changes.

lilliand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
We purchased from the developer prior to finding TUG and we upgraded twice as well with the developer. We never planned on it being a financial investment and we paid off each purchase almost immediately so we didn't have payments or a high interest rate. We love our timeshare and have learned how to use it and Interval. It forces us to take vacations as the money as already spent. We have enjoyed many vacations with our grown children and grandkids and our out of state sisters. With our purchase we personally travel 3 or 4 weeks a year and we utilize every bonus certificate and accomodation certificate we receive. If we can't use the certificates we have friends or family members who use them with guest certificates. We are very happy even after paying developer prices. Getting closer to retirement and thinking of purchasing additional time.

booklvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Come on people. There must be more than a few that are happy with their decision.

I'm absolutely happy with my Sheraton Vistana timeshare. We use it every year and have thoroughly enjoyed our time there. I can't imagine getting rid of it.

That said, we were very fortunate to have bought it (2 bdrm lockoff) for only $1. With that we get two weeks every year by using each lockoff side separately. Typically the resort just lets us stay in the larger of the units for our whole 2 weeks. Good customer service. They've done renos and enhancements to the resort recently so now we like it even more!

fizzysoup

TUG Member
Reaction score
In general we are very happy with our selection of timeshares, and the use we get out of them. The only regret we have is that we did not discover 'resale' until we were 'fully saturated' with timeshare purchases!

seascapemvy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at timeshares for many years before actually buying one. I never thought of buying from the developer until this year when I added the new DVC Copper Creek to my other DVC resale properties. I also was extremely lucky to buy my Wyndham points just before the Ovation program started and increased their price. So I have to admit I am lucky and my Wyndham points are worth more that the almost free cost I paid. However I dont look just at dollars and cents. The real reason I purchased them was so my wife would travel. She hates to waste money and so we are forced for take vacations and see the different places. But we love WDW and all its festivals so we travel there several times a year but Wyndham is how we see the rest. Wyndham is wonderful for all the locations they have and their points structure allows us to spend 4 to 5 days more places than being forced to use an entire week. It also is the perfect companion to DVC.

tomt73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
I suppose you'd call us happy timesharers - we own 9 units in two different independent resorts, both in high-demand destinations. All were bought on resale, the first group at a tax foreclosure auction. In other words, we've paid "dirt" for them. That was the first step to happiness.

The second step was to realize and accept the absolute necessity for flexibility in both time and place. Want to ski the Rockies? OK, don't worry too much about which resort and what time during the winter. Want to go to Oregon in the last week of July? Don't worry too much about where you'll stay. You get the idea.

We've never lost an MF to non-use. We've recovered some of our MF's (not many) via rentals. We consistently use two specific owned weeks at our first home resort (in my home town resort in Lake Placid, NY), exchange into other resorts and rent the rest. It helps that we're retired without children, but we used them just as well when we were still each in our careers.

Low acquisition cost, flexibility, time available, and a sense of humor. All these make timesharing work satisfactorily for us.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with MOXJO7282. We were "lucky" and naive to purchase from Marriott years ago. We made use of our week and look forward every year. We are now looking to add to our Hawaii week through Redweek and TUG. The information TUG provides and wealth of knowledge is priceless and as a family, we are able to be truly together and enjoy our vacations.
Might I suggest, since you own a Marriott try exchanging to Hawaii before buying. You could try different islands to see where you would like to own. We went to Hawaii last June, but we exchanged to Maui thru another TUG member. We are not interested in owning there. Too expensive and a long trip for us from Florida. We did love it there and we also did 3 nights at Ko Olina in Oahu. That's a Marriott next to Disney Aluna. Safe Travels!
Silentg