• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Solar Eclipse 2017

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a timeshare week or are able to get a reservation in any of the excellent viewing areas, more power to you. I understand every place being booked for this event on August 21, 2017. It is just frustrating to call places like the Marriott-affiliated ones in Idaho and have them tell me there are openings, but it is a minimum 10-night stay. Seriously?! :eek: This place transferred me to another Marriott-affiliated property where they said they only book one year out. Excuse me, it is past one year. :doh: Then they said they haven't figured out what to do yet. I know it's a moneymaker and it is good business for those bigger chains or smaller chains that have places to stay in these areas, but I just needed to vent! :wall:

I suppose I don't really need a reservation if I'm in the area. That will take more planning.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the track:
SE2017Aug21T.png

Make your plans.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like we'll have totality. I might rent rooms

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Then you have to hope it isn't a cloudy or rainy day.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then you have to hope it isn't a cloudy or rainy day.

HaHa! It's never cloudy or rainy in Idaho in August. All August this year, we got .64" of precip.

There was just an article in the local fishwrapper that as of now, there are darn few available hotel rooms left in the 'band of totality' across OR, ID, and Wyoming. Not that there are a lot of hotel rooms across there anyway. That strip is pretty sparsely populated.

The local guy has chartered a bus and will set up a 'luxury' camp in the back country of central Idaho. He thinks he'll sell out 2 buses. Who knows.

The guy at the local observatory says we'll be at 98% totality here, so I guess that's what we'll see. Big ol' wedding ring in the sky.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might be getting a little late. I read yesterday that over in Cody Wyoming, hotels are already fully booked at $899 a night with a 3 night minimum over Aug 21st. Our spare bedrooms are looking pretty lucrative :)

We'll have about 95% totality, but since it's a daytime event, We'll probably drive up to Sun Valley or Stanley and camp. Idaho Falls is expecting a half a million people. Unbelievable!

Don't wait. The next total solar eclipse visible inside the USA, no one alive today will see.

Jim

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is crossing the country and I couldn't figure out which "region" forum to put the thread, so here it sits.:)

greatamericaneclipse.com

I've booked a couple nights in Columbia, SC just in case we can arrange travel around it. I'm looking forward to seeing the eclipse as well as all the others who are geeked out about it.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping you have a cloudless sky during those 2 minutes in Columbia, SC.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We live in Salem Oregon. All of our Hotels have been fully Booked for a while. In the News Paper today (yes we still one of those) they had a story about a guy who Booked his room over 2 years ago. He recently cancelled because the Hotel contacted him and more than doubled daily Room Rate for the 4 days. We are wondering if out of state family members are suddenly doing to decide it is a good time to visit us.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have two units booked for Nashville for 3 nights at the Wyndham. Nashville is one of the major cities directly in the path.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to Charleston! Right in the path. Booked our room a year out.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Just read this tread and links and now know where I'm spending vacation mid August this year. Daughter lives in Nebraska just off the projected center line with 2 minutes and 33 seconds of totality. Granddaughter has a pretty good sized telescope and has just ordered a viewing filter for it. Better check the AC system on my car as I will need it in August in Nebraska.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
My inlaws live on the center line, so free accommodations for us! :thumbup:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
'Ring of Fire' Solar Eclipse Set to Blaze in Southern Skies
By Colin Dwyer/ The Two-Way:Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"Consider this your semi-regular reminder that, well, space is pretty neat.

If you're in the southern hemisphere and you happen to look up Sunday morning — or, for everyone else, if you happen to have Internet access — you may have the chance to see an annular solar eclipse. Unlike a total solar eclipse, this one will leave just a sliver of sunlight shining at the rim of the moon's shadow as passes between Earth and the sun...."

gettyimages-144916842-870f8e31c8668aa3e5002b7db8c5ca9a8bb8693d-s800-c85.jpg

An annular solar eclipse observed from Tokyo in 2012.

Masashi Hara/Getty Images

Richard