• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Companion Pass is back. Get it quick. [Deadline 3/31/17]

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:Thanks so much for this amazing info! I now have the SW Companion Pass, plus 120K RR points to use. This will really come in handy as my 27 year old DD, is moving to Boston in April and my 25 year old DD has just moved to Cali. This will get my DH and I, a lot of flights to visit them over the next two years. I Ordered the Certificate on Monday and had RR in my account by Wednesday morning! My son in law (who is moving to Boston with my DD) fly's SW for business almost weekly and has been trying to get this pass for years, he is a little jealous but happy I got it! :cool::cool::cool:

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Just register for a new MR account in your name. Easy as that.
Thanks for your help with all my questions. I was able to get my own MR number, transfer points from my husbands account to mine just as you advised, purchased 5 night travel package and now have Southwest Companion Pass. Thanks to all of the Tug members who brought this to my attention and how to go about it! We are looking forward to some great travels in the next two years and will be able to do it a little more economically!!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest sounds fun but anywhere I search to fly there is a "one stop" included. We like direct flights (sad) NJ here!
I assume you prefer non-stop (direct still has a stop, you just don't get off the plane). You can find out the locations they fly to non stop here: https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html?clk=GSUBNAV-AIR-ROUTEMAP

If you go to the lower right of the map, click the box for non-stop then hover over your home airports and you will see those locations.

Yes, I would much prefer non stop too.....but I deal with it for free flights!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer:Thanks so much for this amazing info! I now have the SW Companion Pass, plus 120K RR points to use. This will really come in handy as my 27 year old DD, is moving to Boston in April and my 25 year old DD has just moved to Cali. This will get my DH and I, a lot of flights to visit them over the next two years. I Ordered the Certificate on Monday and had RR in my account by Wednesday morning! My son in law (who is moving to Boston with my DD) fly's SW for business almost weekly and has been trying to get this pass for years, he is a little jealous but happy I got it! :cool::cool::cool:

Congrats - SW has really added a lot of flights to BOS over the last couple of years, should work out well for you if they are in the city. Also, if they are north of Boston, keep Manchester NH in mind. South of Boston, keep Providence, RI in mind. If they are 30 miles or so outside of the city limits...either of these may actually be better airports to use.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats - SW has really added a lot of flights to BOS over the last couple of years, should work out well for you if they are in the city. Also, if they are north of Boston, keep Manchester NH in mind. South of Boston, keep Providence, RI in mind. If they are 30 miles or so outside of the city limits...either of these may actually be better airports to use.
Also Hartford-Springfield (BDL), 70 miles from Worcester via the Mass Pike.

6scoops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also Hartford-Springfield (BDL), 70 miles from Worcester via the Mass Pike.

:wave:Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions, sounds like I will have a few different options for getting there. I should find out soon which area they will end up in...this really was a steal of a deal, and perfect timing.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was going to pass as we haven't been doing much flying in the last few years but that seems to be changing. I have requested the UR sent to Marriott and then will request the transfer to SW. This will wipe out my Marriott rewards and UR so hoping its worth it.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Well, we now live in a city where Southwest has a bigger presence and this thread made me investigate a bit. As a result, we got a 5-night travel package with Southwest, using points in my wife's MR account. I think it will be real good for us. I can see why Southwest closed this loophole...I flew only one round-trip on Southwest about 15 years ago and my wife has never been on a Southwest plane. And now as of today she has the companion pass through the end of 2018 with me as her companion. Kind of embarrassing in a way.

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
I just ordered a 5-day, cat 1-5 package with 120K miles and requested the miles be moved to my Southwest Rapid Rewards account. Very easy to do. I called MVC first and the advisor was not familiar with the companion pass nor would confirm if I could upgrade the hotel cat later. I ended that call and called MR Customer Service. They had all the answers, saw I was an MVC owner and recommended the appropriate package.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some questions. Scanned through the thread and looked at SW website but didn't see the answers. Please point the way if something has already been answered.

1. How do I find out if and where SW flys nonstop from DTW? (p.s. while composing this reply I found the answer and decided to just go ahead and post it). https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html

2. I thought I once saw a chart telling the best category value for a travel package. Anyone know of that?

3. We have 79K+ MR points when they post from Visa statement that just closed. At a maximum I would need 155,347 points from somewhere else. I have UR, Amex points and SPG points. I'm thinking I'll use 70K from Amex and SPG and the balance from UR? Anyone see a problem with this?

What I'd really like to do is find an easy way to get 35K MR points so I use less UR and Amex. I don't mind transferring 120K from UR to MR when getting a travel package because I play the mental game that the 120K is going towards the air portion and will be a 1:1 transfer. Using UR for anything above the 120K and I gag at overspending. :rolleyes:

4. DH just got SW Visa and he will get 50K points with that. So we really only need 60K from a travel package. The Companion Pass is our real goal here, not the largest amount of SW points. I could go for the Cat. 6/100K cert. for 200K MR instead of the Cat. 1-5/120K cert. Saves me 35K SPG or UR points and solves my problem above. Just to make me feel better, can others validate my reasoning? I'm already sitting on 3 other Cat. 6 certificates and have actually dreamt of booking a multiple week trip to my favorite Cat. 6 hotel.

5. Do you always have to pay for the main ticket when you utilize the companion pass or can the main tix be booked with RR? If you pay for the Business Class boarding does your companion board with you?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have some questions.......
5. Do you always have to pay for the main ticket when you utilize the companion pass or can the main tix be booked with RR?
I am no Southwest expert but I can answer this one of your questions. You can use the companion pass if the main ticket is booked either with RR points or with cash.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I thought I would post this information on this thread and the Chase Sapphire thread. It appears you can combine the best of both worlds.

With the Southwest Companion Pass, Your Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Are Worth Even MORE. Because a Companion Can Fly With You for (Almost!) Free, Even When You Book Your Ticket Through Chase’s Travel Portal.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I didn't think SW flights showed up throygh the UR portal. I thought the only way to book SW was in the SW website or by calling SW direct.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't think SW flights showed up throygh the UR portal. I thought the only way to book SW was in the SW website or by calling SW direct.

In that same posting I found it stated this.
"Once you’ve found your flights, call the Chase travel center at 866-951-6592 to book your tickets."

I have to admit, I did not try this but i just got on the Chase reserve portal and found this...

"Some airlines don't offer advance seat selection. Southwest and Allegiant tickets can only be purchased by calling us at 1-855-234-2542."

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder - is the pricing the same via UR or direct with SW. If the same and you get the 1.5 value through UR that may make it worth it. BUT..and this is a big BUT for me, I am one that constantly checks for price drops with SW and reprice my tickets to the lower cost (there is no charge for this). Not sure how this would work.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some questions. Scanned through the thread and looked at SW website but didn't see the answers. Please point the way if something has already been answered.

. . .

3. We have 79K+ MR points when they post from Visa statement that just closed. At a maximum I would need 155,347 points from somewhere else. I have UR, Amex points and SPG points. I'm thinking I'll use 70K from Amex and SPG and the balance from UR? Anyone see a problem with this?

What I'd really like to do is find an easy way to get 35K MR points so I use less UR and Amex. I don't mind transferring 120K from UR to MR when getting a travel package because I play the mental game that the 120K is going towards the air portion and will be a 1:1 transfer. Using UR for anything above the 120K and I gag at overspending. :rolleyes:

I'm in the process of transferring Amex and SPG points. Don't make the mistake I made last night.

I was on an automated call with Amex to transfer to SPG. When I was asked if I wanted to transfer 67K I instantly said yes without thinking it wasn't evenly divisible by 3. I knew my mistake as soon as I pressed the button but it was too late. Tonight I checked with SPG and 22,311 were transferred. Not even the 22,333. The SPG rep said I needed to take it up with Amex. Amex said it was SPG. So I was shorted 22 SPG which is the same as 66 Amex.

Live and learn.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Important note for those of you with Travel Packages. Marriott just announced it's category changes for 2017. They go into effect 3/7. http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi

If you have been thinking about a particular resort in a particular category, you may want to ensure it isn't getting bumped and if so, make you reservation now.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm late to the party but I finished the necessary transfers today and the cert is in my MR account. Marriott says that the miles ought to be in my SW account by tomorrow or Monday. I would have never known about this without the information from TUG. Many thanks to all who share their knowledge with the rest of us!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
My thanks too!!
I got the pass last month, and booked our 1st trip last week! Looking forward to booking Santa Fe when the schedule is released this weekend.

My co-worker next to me, is a consultant who is lifetime platinum MR, and surprisingly did not know of the travel packages. He's used up all his points tho' and is passing on this.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made this much too complicated ... hopefully this is easier to follow.

Booked my first flight using the companion pass today. Islip to Aruba in August.
It cost 235,000 Marriott Rewards (MR) points to get 130,000 Rapid Reward (RR) points, the Companion Pass and a 5 Night Cat 5 Hotel stay. My MF is currently $1420 and I can exchange it for 130,000 MR points. So 260,000 MR points would cost me two years worth of MF or $2840. I have not traded my unit for MR pts since 2005 but it is the easiest way to put a value on MR points.

Four Tickets to Aruba for my wife, two sons and I cost 92,000 RR points. The cost for this as of yesterday when I booked was $1882 excluding taxes.
The cost of my MF $2840 minus the savings on airfare $1882 has the cost for the exchange in now at $958. I still have the 5 night stay, 38,000 RR points, 25,000 MR points and 22 months of "buy a ticket and a companion is free left".

I am thinking of booking LGA to Punta Cuna in April. Cost for my wife and I is 32,000 RR points or $598

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love SWA, have traveled with them for years. I agree, they look out for their customers and pay attention when an issue arises. No one is perfect and sometimes mistakes happen. It's how a company takes care of their customers that counts and keeps so many of us coming back. Kudos to SWA!

I also feel SWA treats its customers far better than some other major air carriers.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm the type to check and recheck.

Am I right in reading that the companion pass will be good until December 31, 2018?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it is good for the year you earn and the entire following year. The intention being it would take you most of the year to take 100 one way flights or earn 110,000 miles so the rest of the year you get it plus the next. One of the reasons for the cancellations was the rush of folks adding it in January and February with hotel points and getting companion for almost 2 years.

alhanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that i have a companion pass good through 12-31-18, has anyone examined the program after that date? Will there be an option to transfer a lower number of MRP's toward the needed threshold or do I need to plan my major charges on my Southwest Credit Card?