• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Split group Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe at Riviera Maya

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an upcoming stay at Riviera Maya, one week in Grand Mayan one week Grand Luxxe.

My father in law wants to come along. The Grand Maya week is no problem to get a getaway week, but the Grand Luxxe only has exchange inventory, and I'm out of II deposits.

However, Grand Bliss is available. How inconvenient would it be for our group to be split up? He would still have beach club access right? Are there other amnities that are Grand Luxxe only we would want to use he'd miss out on? Would he be able to come visit our unit for meals etc?

Actually, does anyone know if it would be possible to get him a Grand Luxxe wristband? We are under max occupancy for our unit, but the only sleeping space unaccounted for is the sofa bed, which I don't feel good about offering to a 80 year old...

rpennisi

Reaction score
Grand Bliss can use everything except the Grand Luxxe pool. I would take the Grand Bliss for him, but when you register for your Grand Luxxe, have him with you and get him a GL bracelet. I always have them put them on loose enough so I can easily slip it off at night, showers, etc. If he has a GL wristband he could use anything you use, and then use his bracelet for the GB (door keys are probably in the bracelet for both GL and GB).

There is a good distance between GB and GL, but it is walkable, and there are carts that can make the walk shorter.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Grand Bliss can use everything except the Grand Luxxe pool. I would take the Grand Bliss for him, but when you register for your Grand Luxxe, have him with you and get him a GL bracelet. I always have them put them on loose enough so I can easily slip it off at night, showers, etc. If he has a GL wristband he could use anything you use, and then use his bracelet for the GB (door keys are probably in the bracelet for both GL and GB).

There is a good distance between GB and GL, but it is walkable, and there are carts that can make the walk shorter.
Won't it raise concern though when he also want to check in himself in to GB?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is my primary concern. If I could get him a Grand Luxxe wristband on our room (even if we have to pay the extra $77) I'll probably do the Grand Bliss room.

rpennisi

Reaction score
They won't take down names when he registers with his daughter and son in law at the GL. I doubt, even if they did, that there would be a cross check in their system.
The negative I see is that they will get charged $11 a day for him at the GL.
PS
Bizaro86 I read your concern after answering dioxide45.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They won't take down names when he registers with his daughter and son in law at the GL. I doubt, even if they did, that there would be a cross check in their system.
The negative I see is that they will get charged $11 a day for him at the GL.
So the important thing is, is access for him to the Grand Luxxe pool worth the $77?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That and the OP having more privacy and less crowding.
True. One other consideration is that GB and GL are on completely opposite sides of the property. Perhaps the furthest apart of any two properties there. That may make it rather inconvenient.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't considered the distance, but looked at a resort map and that looks pretty far! Does anyone know how long it would take by shuttle, and what the average wait would be? He's a pretty spry 80 year old, but I dont want him and his high blood pressure deciding to walk in Mexican heat because he doesn't want to wait anymore....

rpennisi

Reaction score
Wait times for the carts vary. But I don't think there is a cart going from the GB to the GL.
He could get a cart to the GM lobby and then a cart from there to the GL. Or, walk to the GM lobby and cart to the GL.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider Grand Luxxe and Grand Mayan as they are next door to each other.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait times vary greatly......from a few minutes to close to half an hour...... The carts will take you from the Grand Bliss to the Plaza where you can then wait again for a cart to the Grand Luxxe buildings......quite a hassle for health challenged individuals....

rpennisi

Reaction score
You might want to consider Grand Luxxe and Grand Mayan as they are next door to each other.
I think you mean Grand Bliss and Grand Mayan are next to each other at Riviera Maya.
Grand Luxxe is on the other side of the Mayan Palace.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think you mean Grand Bliss and Grand Mayan are next to each other at Riviera Maya.
Grand Luxxe is on the other side of the Mayan Palace.
I think perhaps @richontug was trying to say to reconsider Grand Bliss for Grand Mayan. Staying in Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe would put them much closer together than staying in Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think perhaps @richontug was trying to say to reconsider Grand Bliss for Grand Mayan. Staying in Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe would put them much closer together than staying in Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe.
I know I easily walk from GL pool to GM pool area.

rpennisi

Reaction score
As an exchanger, the OP will probably not get the GM buildings that are closest to the beach. They will probably get GM buildings 8-13 which are farther away from the pools and beach than the Grand Bliss.
Walking from the GL pool to the GM pool area (behind the GM reception building) is much shorter than walking from GM Jungle buildings 8-13 to GL buildings or pool.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were able to get a Grand Luxxe wristband for our friends who were in the Grand Bliss. This was in January of 2016 at Riviera Maya. No extra charge. That way we could stay by the Grand Luxxe pool together.

We stayed via SFX exchange.

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
We were able to get a Grand Luxxe wristband for our friends who were in the Grand Bliss. This was in January of 2016 at Riviera Maya. No extra charge. That way we could stay by the Grand Luxxe pool together.

We stayed via SFX exchange.
We are going through II in Sept with two other couples. We are two couples in a Luxxe but the third couple could only get a GBliss. Could you explain further how you managed the wristband for your friends? A meeting?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going through II in Sept with two other couples. We are two couples in a Luxxe but the third couple could only get a GBliss. Could you explain further how you managed the wristband for your friends? A meeting?

I'm sure things have changed, as this was January of 2016 I believe.
We had 3 rooms in GL and one in GB.
We simply asked if we could get 2 extra wrist bands for GL so they could enjoy the pool area with us and they obliged.

Alternatively if you have younger kids, you can get the wrist bands that are "looser" or something and just give those to the GB guests. They don't seem to check kids wrist bands if the parents have the proper ones. At least younger kids.

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
We simply asked if we could get 2 extra wrist bands for GL so they could enjoy the pool area with us and they obliged.

Alternatively if you have younger kids, you can get the wrist bands that are "looser" or something and just give those to the GB guests. They don't seem to check kids wrist bands if the parents have the proper ones. At least younger kids.

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
Great, thanks for info. I feel more confident to ask, I had already thought to do so but assumed our friends would have to do an update.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Nuevo, my sister and friends stayed in Grand Luxxe (I believe at full occupancy) while her son and his wife were in Grand Mayan. My sister was able to get extra Grand Luxxe bracelets for her son and daughter-in-law just by asking for them. The "kids" had two bracelets each because their room keys were in the bracelets.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Under the current way they run things in Riviera Maya, it won't matter too much. As an II exchanger, you'll get wristbands that indicate you're an exchanger, and won't have access to the GL Pool or the Custom Burger Restaurant. Exchangers in GB can't use the Beach Club, either. I'm not sure if GL exchangers can use the Beach Club.

They will likely offer you owners' wristbands for doing a sales presentation, tbough. If you do agree to go, be sure to negotiate enough of the proper wristbands for everyone.

Also, I never have them tighten my wristband because I prefer to take them off at night. During the day, I wrap the band around the RFI tag so it won't fall off. They've never objected to that and I'm not a kid anymore....

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
Thankfully
Under the current way they run things in Riviera Maya, it won't matter too much. As an II exchanger, you'll get wristbands that indicate you're an exchanger, and won't have access to the GL Pool or the Custom Burger Restaurant. Exchangers in GB can't use the Beach Club, either. I'm not sure if GL exchangers can use the Beach Club.

They will likely offer you owners' wristbands for doing a sales presentation, tbough. If you do agree to go, be sure to negotiate enough of the proper wristbands for everyone.

Also, I never have them tighten my wristband because I prefer to take them off at night. During the day, I wrap the band around the RFI tag so it won't fall off. They've never objected to that and I'm not a kid anymore....[/QUOTE