• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Hawaii - Bulk Deposit in II for 2017?

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this has happened yet? I put in requests for Maui and Big Island over a year ago, but still no exchange available. Seems like getting Hawaii with Starwood is getting harder and harder.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Vistana - right? ;)

What timeframe did you request?

What did you request on the Big Island? No Vistana/Starwood there.

Last edited:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Denise -

Late Nov to Mid Dec. I usually have no trouble getting stuff at that time.

First request (now with Marriott & Starwood joining forces): MM1, KAN, KAA and on a lark the Hyatt HKB

Second request for same timeframe (staggered weeks): MAW, MA1 (on Big Island), KAA, KAN, MM1, HKB

Both requests went in 9/22/15.

(Deposits were Vistana and Broadway Plantation, floating weeks I think...)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
First request (now with Marriott & Starwood joining forces)

Just to clarify - the timeshares have not joined forces:

Starwood sold their timeshare management company to ILG - renamed "Vistana." There is no cross-over between the Mariott/Vistana timeshares.

Starwood sold their hotel management company to Marriott.

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh.

Do you think it's odd that a request placed 17 months ago is still not filled?

(BTW - Your help is so appreciated. You're a great moderator!)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do think it's odd, but we don't know what Vistana is going to do as far as II - you would think since ILG owns Vistana AND II that we might see an increase in deposit, but who knows!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Marriott gives a 22 day preference viewing period to it's M owners. If you own a Starwood, you've got to hope that there were so many units deposited that a few make it through that period. Frankly, I think that it is a very low probability.

On the Big Island, we've stayed at the Kona Coast 2 and liked it. It isn't a Marriott but it clean, quiet, had the features we wanted and was available. I regularly see Kona Coast units pop up in that time frame.

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott gives a 22 day preference viewing period to it's M owners. If you own a Starwood, you've got to hope that there were so many units deposited that a few make it through that period. Frankly, I think that it is a very low probability.

On the Big Island, we've stayed at the Kona Coast 2 and liked it. It isn't a Marriott but it clean, quiet, had the features we wanted and was available. I regularly see Kona Coast units pop up in that time frame.

Thank you for this info. Helps me a lot.

This is the first time in 8 years I have not gotten ANYTHING. Lowest weeks demand for the year. And put in almost 1½ years ago.

If I can't get Hawaii anymore after a 17 month open request, I may be giving away a couple of my timeshare weeks.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is the first time in 8 years I have not gotten ANYTHING. Lowest weeks demand for the year. And put in almost 1½ years ago.

If I can't get Hawaii anymore after a 17 month open request, I may be giving away a couple of my timeshare weeks.
The past 2 years have been very difficult for Starwood trades into Hawaii. What I've noticed is that somewhere between 3 and 4 months before the check in dates a small group of timeshares show up for trade into Maui. They go very quickly.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that Vistana deposits no longer appearing more than 12 months out anymore. I think reported matches or sightings have been way under a year.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It appears that Vistana deposits no longer appearing more than 12 months out anymore. I think reported matches or sightings have been way under a year.

Yes, and on going exchange requests are also slower to fill. I had one last year which didn't get filled and I have the same this year that still hasn't been filled. My plans are already set for this year and while I might be able to adjust a little, it's not easy. I'll likely cancel it in the next few weeks.

This is one of the reasons I started testing sfx, and put a sdo week there to see what happens (nothing yet). I'm just planning on using staroptions to get to wkorv from now on, and set my expectations accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, and on going exchange requests are also slower to fill. I had one last year which didn't get filled and I have the same this year that still hasn't been filled. My plans are already set for this year and while I might be able to adjust a little, it's not easy. I'll likely cancel it in the next few weeks.

This is one of the reasons I started testing sfx, and put a sdo week there to see what happens (nothing yet). I'm just planning on using staroptions to get to wkorv from now on, and set my expectations accordingly.

I just stopped putting in requests for Vistana. I'm using the units to trade into Marriott's.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just stopped putting in requests for Vistana. I'm using the units to trade into Marriott's.

That's a good idea. I've done that before, but not with an on going request. I'll try that.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We're going to WPORV this May on an Interval exchange using a Marriott studio.

It was an instant exchange, meaning either the deposit was not claimed by a Vistana trader during the preference period or there was no preference period.

The "rules" are changing -- unpredictably.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

What Marriotts have you been able to trade into using Vistana? I have also noticed zero Vistana exchange matches for quite some time. Maybe I should change my ongoing searches now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I've changed my dates to 2018 and added the two Marriott's and the Hyatt to the request but they want another $50. I suppose this is because when trading outside Vistana I have to pay the "regular" rate. I wonder...if they fill WKORV do they refund this? Not likely... I paid $139 originally so this will be $189 for the trade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's correct - you're paying the regular rate because you added other resorts, and no refund if you get a VSE resort.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That's correct - you paying the regular rate because you added other resorts, and no refund if you get a VSE resort.

Well, I suppose it's worth a try. I wouldn't want $50 to stop me from visiting Maui!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heck ya!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

AbelowDS, I hope you get your exchange, but think it might be at 6 months or less :(. Like you I put in an 18 month request for Westin Maui resorts, but for 2018 and similar tho' slightly broader time period Sept-mid December. We haven't stayed at the Westin Maui resorts yet, so that's my preference, but like the others I think I should add in other Maui resorts to my OGS :shrug:

VSE said I could pull back my week to use as star options, and I hope that holds true. (My OGS was my own experiment on current 'trade power' of my week.) But even star option reservations for WKORV/N are getting hard to obtain except for some studios in August which I saw a couple of months ago.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abelow, although you said Maui and B.I., you may also want to consider Kauai. It is still Hawaii.

I periodically see the Cliffs Club. Sometimes they are way out time-wise. Right now I see two Dec 2018 units.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Abelow, although you said Maui and B.I., you may also want to consider Kauai. It is still Hawaii.

I periodically see the Cliffs Club. Sometimes they are way out time-wise. Right now I see two Dec 2018 units.

When I saw Cliffs Club some years ago it didn't compare well to wporv. I've read that they recently remodeled. Do you think it now compares similarly to wporv?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I saw Cliffs Club some years ago it didn't compare well to wporv. I've read that they recently remodeled. Do you think it now compares similarly to wporv?

WPORV is probably a higher rated resort.

But the OP was looking for Maui or the BI. My mention of the Cliffs Club was just to suggest that he needs to keep a broad approach. He may also want to add Ko Olina, for example.

I read about people making requests exclusively of the blue ribbon timeshares and omitting lesser resorts and then complaining that they can't get an exchange. (I have a request in for Four Seasons Troon North but I suspect that it won't get a match). I think that it is a matter of probability and statistics. That is - - you can aim high, but in doing so, you are omitting a statistical percentage of exchangeable resorts. If you include additional resorts, you increase your probability of getting an exchange. I'm not saying that you should request some mediocre resorts, but there is a benefit of expanding one's horizons.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
WPORV is probably a higher rated resort.

But the OP was looking for Maui or the BI. My mention of the Cliffs Club was just to suggest that he needs to keep a broad approach. He may also want to add Ko Olina, for example.

I read about people making requests exclusively of the blue ribbon timeshares and omitting lesser resorts and then complaining that they can't get an exchange. (I have a request in for Four Seasons Troon North but I suspect that it won't get a match). I think that it is a matter of probability and statistics. That is - - you can aim high, but in doing so, you are omitting a statistical percentage of exchangeable resorts. If you include additional resorts, you increase your probability of getting an exchange. I'm not saying that you should request some mediocre resorts, but there is a benefit of expanding one's horizons.

I agree with you that it's worth considering all the options. But, like many who request VSN of Hyatt, as the OP did, might not want to select a lower tier resort.

I stayed on the big island last year and the resort was definitely not wkorv or wporv quality. I enjoyed the week but the resort was, as predicted, lacking. It's always best to have the correct expectations in mind before visiting.

I've been to both Four Seasons (was at Aviara earlier this month). They are hands down the best timeshares with the best staff.