TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky - Bankrupt / Closed resorts

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by TUGBrian, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

I was just adding them as they got mentioned TBH...but im sure we could figure something out if the list gets long enough.

2. alanmj

alanmj TUG Member

Royal Caraibes, Guadeloupe - closed mid-2000.

3. DianneL

DianneL TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Ocean Palms

This resort was in New Smyrna Beach, Fl. Destroyed by hurricane in 2004 (I think that was the year). Not repaired or rebuilt and as I understand it from owners, city took property for unpaid taxes. Owners paid maint. fee for few years with no unit to use or trade. Finally stopped paying fees.

4. Jennie

Jennie TUG Member

Royal Resorts, Cancun Mexico, similar but very different

As a timeshare newbie about 20 years ago, my first timeshare was purchased from an individual who had placed an ad in a Penny Saver magazine in Florida. I came aboard with 2 weeks that would expire in 2 months (didn't know that I could have paid a fee to extend them) plus 4 other weeks that would be valid for almost a year.

So, "I hit the road running" as the saying goes.

I spent many hours thumbing through the RCI and I.I books

Hubby ran out of vacation time so I went with a gal friend to the Royal Resorts in Cancun. I almost passed up on the sales presentation but went because it was a rainy day. The info provided was priceless.

Named VCI (Vacation Resorts International, this was the first built timeshare in Cancun. Sales were not going well. So as not to lose all the money invested, they came up with the idea to guarantee a full return of the entire purchase price at the end of a 20 year right to use period.

If units were sold by owners prior before the 20 years, the new owner would then receive the original sales price at the 20 year date.

Over the next two to four years, I bought 4 prime weeks via resale from owners, at greatly reduced prices, and there-by received the right to get the full original purchase paid the original owner. All in, I paid about 7,000 for the 4 weeks, had many wonderful vacations there, rented some weeks, and eventually received around $35,000. "residual value" when the 30 years were up.

Meanwhile the original guys who built VCI had gone on to build 4 more fabulous resorts in Cancun. They are still very popular vacation destinations.

5. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Wow! What a great deal you got! But the facility is still operating as a timeshare, isn't it? I thought Royal Resorts offered owners a chance to extend their usage (for a substantial fee, of course), and sold (or is still in the process of selling) the weeks that owners didn't extend. I still see this resort offered for exchange in II.

I think a few years ago, Timesharing Today did an article about this situation. If I recall correctly, the courts in Florida gave the resort back to the timeshare owners, on the grounds that owners were never personally notified of the pending tax sale.

6. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

7. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

Peppertree Atlantic Beach I

Peppertree Atlantic Beach I has declared bankruptcy and is in the process of being leveled. Peppertree Atlantic Beach II is currently condemned and repairs are suppose to be completed by May. But, considering so many have lost their usage while still expecting to pay up to $700 in maintenance fees last year and this year, I have my doubts of it's ability to recover if enough quit paying. Details are discussed in the US East Coast Section.

8. meinmn

meinmn TUG Member

Indian Point - Branson, MO

Does anyone know anything about Indian Point in Branson, MO? I have been calling for weeks to bank my week but no answer and the mailboxes are full.

9. Black Diamond

Black Diamond Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Apple valley, Ohio Closing May 27th, 2016.

Last day of operations may 27th, 2016.

10. shar

shar TUG Lifetime Member

Divi Tiara in the Caymans was closed because of severe damage from hurricane. Perhaps this should be listed behind it as another resort also has that listed fro the reason. closed.

Shar

11. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

added apple valley to the list, thank you!

12. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

Please add Peppertree Atlantic Beach Phase I. Atlantic Beach, NC.

13. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

added, thank you.

14. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly Guest

This is the type of thread that should have a wiki for members to revise take pressure off op

15. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

i actually plan to implement a wiki style software for some of the advice pages, but i dont believe there is any realistic way to allow for members to update someone elses post on the forums.

we can of course have links from forum posts to wiki pages that do allow this, but then someone (an admin or moderator) still has to manually make the change to the original forum post.

16. Mixedupmo

Mixedupmo Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Hill at Provincetown
    Scottsdale pinacle
    Add Harbor Hill at Provincetown in MA.

17. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Perhaps something like WikiVault would work. Doesn't require allowing users to edit someone else's post in the forums. Users work together to create Wiki content for popular topics.

18. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

there is actually a mod i saw during the upgrade that does something like this...but with all the other items going on i didnt have time to look into it that deeply.

19. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Gurneys Inn in Montauk, NY will cease as a timeshare at the end of next year (Dec 2017).
    Four years ago owners were offered 3 options. Immediate buy out offer and cease access to resort. There was an option for immediate deed back with no compensation but retain use without MF or voting rights for 5 years. The final option was a freeze in MF (which is still $1800-3500 annually depending on unit size) and at the end of 5 years a guaranteed payout which I believe was slightly lower than the immediate offer plus a percentage based on the final sale of the resort which would ideally take place in 2018. During the 5 year period the resort would be renovated by the developer that took over at the beginning of 2013.

20. tomt73

tomt73 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
    One minor geographic correction: Deer Run Village was/is in Stamford, NY, not "Samford".

21. Mixedupmo

Mixedupmo Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Harbor Hill at Provincetown
    Scottsdale pinacle
    I dont want this to happen to me!

22. RichardinLakeland

RichardinLakeland Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

FYI, did not see this resort on your list. It's near Crossville TN.
    I copied this from their web page:
    http://www.marinerspointeresort.com/owners.htm

NOTICE
    Sadly, Mariner’s Pointe Resort closed its doors May 28th, 2016, after 35-years of wonderful memories for thousands of families.
    Known today as Mariner’s Pointe Resort, it was first known in 1965, as ‘Holiday Hills Country Club’. The resort and its many improvements became ‘Boardwalk On The Lake’ in 1981, when the first timeshare deed was sold.

23. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

A woman posting as "Harbor Hill Three" (in TUG Lounge forum) claims to be associated with Building 3 at Harbor Hill and within the past few weeks (April, 2017) overtly asserted that Building 3 is not part of the bankruptcy there and is in fact (at least for now) still operating as a fully functional timeshare.

I have no personal knowledge of the murky status there but it might be premature to declare Harbor Hill "closed down" entirely. :shrug:

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  24. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc McAplin & Eagles Nest, Sunrise Bay, Hideaway Sands, Voyager, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Cold Springs, Banyan
    La Renaissance, Atlantic City, NJ closed its doors last year. They are allowing owners to deed back to the association.

25. Robd

Robd Guest

Are you kidding? We loved this resort. We have a homesite in the area and would stay there as often as we could. They only allowed RCI exchanges every other year.