• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Still Owe and Want To Get Out

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
I was implying owning real estate is almost always better then renting.
Not timeshare specific. Again, I meant owning real estate. Not owning timeshare.
General statements are not wise. Also message boards are hard to fully understand my intent or anyone's intent

QUOTE="bradfordHI, post: 1949311, member: 89867"]Yes. I was giving them an option most don't know about. Im not pro timeshare or not.
I only told her what I did. I don't know her personal finances. But saying it's a bad choice is not smart to say.

Most people don't know that option is available. It saved me $9,000 dollars in interest alone. So it was perfect for me.

I paid it back and now only have Maintenance fees. I have done it on both of my 2 most recent purchases so it's worked for me perfectly.

Brad

QUOTE="SmithOp, post: 1949309, member: 44697"]I agree with the article you linked, its a last resort, but I don't consider using it to buy a timeshare a valid last resort.

Owning a timeshare is not always better than renting, so I disagree with that statement.

I rent some of my timeshare points to offset my annual fees.

You might want to read this article, it does a better job of explaining all the disadvantages of 401K loans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/avoid-the-temptation-of-dipping-into-your-401k-2015-06-04

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
should probably make a better attempt to be more clear in your comments if you find that so many people are "unable to understand your intent"...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with the article you linked, its a last resort, but I don't consider using it to buy a timeshare a valid last resort.

Owning a timeshare is not always better than renting, so I disagree with that statement.

I rent some of my timeshare points to offset my annual fees.

You might want to read this article, it does a better job of explaining all the disadvantages of 401K loans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/avoid-the-temptation-of-dipping-into-your-401k-2015-06-04

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It seems that this article supports the double taxation myth. There is no double taxation with a 401K loan except on the interest that you pay when paying back the loan.

https://thefinancebuff.com/401k-loan-double-taxation-myth.html

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

developers want you to keep their financing. 14 to 18%

So for me I did a 401k Loan to pay it off. 42,000 dollars.
Than I paid myself back at 5% over the year.
That's what I personally did. I saved a little over $4,000 a month and put all that money back in one year.
They are called 401b loans or something like that. My financial advisor and CPA set it up for me. I can get more info if you need it.

Does that make sense?

I'm sorry, I am one of the happy owners who post. I was not saying use your 401k for timeshare.
. But I love what I own. I use the system. Maybe I should write a book because there is a lot of things I have done that others never think of.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Good article. Im not a tax advisor but it worked for me perfectly. Everyone is different. This is my 401 V. LOL.
And I used my 401K to pay me instead of the developer.
Don't do if your not a good budget person.
My maint is now 342 a month but our family traveled 60 days this year using only Points and not renting 1 hotel. It felt great.
We also rented 2 weeks to somone else and got $4400 from a renter. I'm getting close to breaking even on my maintence and will uodate you when I do.
I learned a lot from this site. Its been great for me and my wife.

It seems that this article supports the double taxation myth. There is no double taxation with a 401K loan except on the interest that you pay when paying back the loan.

https://thefinancebuff.com/401k-loan-double-taxation-myth.html