• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Surfwatch Renovations

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surfwatch is apparently doing a 10 year hard renovation to the entire property at once. The rooms are supposed to be done in a few weeks and the exteriors by the end of April.

Has anyone seen a refurbished room yet? I will be there March 19.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Surfwatch is apparently doing a 10 year hard renovation to the entire property at once. The rooms are supposed to be done in a few weeks and the exteriors by the end of April.

Has anyone seen a refurbished room yet? I will be there March 19.
I was there for a very short stay in December and the 3BR unit we were in (garden view, but I cannot remember which building) certainly did not need a refurbishment. I don't know if that means it was already done or not.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there for a very short stay in December and the 3BR unit we were in (garden view, but I cannot remember which building) certainly did not need a refurbishment. I don't know if that means it was already done or not.

They did not start the room renovations until January so it was not updated yet. It doesn't surprise me that it didn't need it. Marriott tries to do it before it looks like it needs it.

They are replacing the carpet, lighting, and all the furniture.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping to stop there for a night or two on our way back from Orlando early next month, so I'll post pics if we do end up there.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
They did not start the room renovations until January so it was not updated yet. It doesn't surprise me that it didn't need it. Marriott tries to do it before it looks like it needs it.

They are replacing the carpet, lighting, and all the furniture.
If that is the case and they are now refurbishing that villa, I would be upset at the unnecessary expense as an owner. My wife (who is picky) even remarked that it looked like it had been updated in the last year or two. Believe me that I am a real supporter of keeping things looking good, but maybe overdoing it in some cases contributes to the skyrocketing maintenance fees.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that is the case and they are now refurbishing that villa, I would be upset at the unnecessary expense as an owner. My wife (who is picky) even remarked that it looked like it had been updated in the last year or two. Believe me that I am a real supporter of keeping things looking good, but maybe overdoing it in some cases contributes to the skyrocketing maintenance fees.

The last Surfwatch soft goods refurb was in 2012. It is a Marriott standard and probably a requirement to do a hard renovation every 10 years.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own platinum weeks at Surfwatch. We own a 3 bedroom unit. We have not been there since July 2015 and the unit we were in was not in good condition. I for one am thrilled that they are doing the refurbishment.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the fact that Marriott try's to keep their resorts looking liked they are brand new. That is an "Outstanding Concept" for owners and guests.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I liked the fact that Marriott try's to keep their resorts looking liked they are brand new. That is an "Outstanding Concept" for owners and guests.
I don't disagree with this, but you should have seen the unit we had in December. As nice as the refurbished Grande Ocean units we have been in twice.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. The concierge at GO told me the old sales gallery at SW had been turned into 3 bedroom units. If that was true, you could have been in a brand new unit.

Just an idea. Others here know far more than me.

I don't disagree with this, but you should have seen the unit we had in December. As nice as the refurbished Grande Ocean units we have been in twice.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. The concierge at GO told me the old sales gallery at SW had been turned into 3 bedroom units. If that was true, you could have been in a brand new unit.

Just an idea. Others here know far more than me.

I thought they were supposed to be 2BR units but do we know when they were completed?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I thought they were supposed to be 2BR units but do we know when they were completed?

If the building follows the set-up of every other building on property then it should be a mix of 2- and 3BR's with the 3BR units on the ends of each floor. Has anyone seen lately a detailed written notice about this, or, about the upcoming refurb?

tlwmkw

Reaction score
If the building follows the set-up of every other building on property then it should be a mix of 2- and 3BR's with the 3BR units on the ends of each floor. Has anyone seen lately a detailed written notice about this, or, about the upcoming refurb?
The new units in sales gallery are all garden view and a mix of 2 and 3 beds.

The renovation has new carpet in all areas (sage green with orangey background), cream paint on walls, new couch (they got rid of the sectional) that is a blue tweed with a large foot rest, 2 new wood and fabric chairs with blue and red color, and the leather chair is now covered in blue fabric. The curtains are white and sort of lacy now. The tv cabinet is pale wood. The dining room light is new. There are new bar stools. The kitchen hasn't changed.

In the master there is a desk and chair by the bed and granite on the tv cabinet (tv is on wall now).

Exterior colors are creamy white and sage green.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The renovation has new carpet in all areas (sage green with orangey background), cream paint on walls, new couch (they got rid of the sectional) that is a blue tweed with a large foot rest, 2 new wood and fabric chairs with blue and red color, and the leather chair is now covered in blue fabric. The curtains are white and sort of lacy now. The tv cabinet is pale wood.

Thank you. This post would be even more useful with pictures!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Also there are lots of charging stations around the villa now (at bedsides and in living room). There's new art over the couch- picture of the dunes with a sort of overlay.

Sorry don't know how to post pictures.

Chaplin park is closed until 2018 because they are using it as clearing point for all the trees and brush from hurricane Matthew. It's too bad because we always used to drive through there to get to the stop light to make the left onto the main road.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I sent an email to the GM asking about the Sales Gallery and unit refurbs. He replied that the Sales Gallery conversion was done Feb-Oct '16 to X10 2BR units, and, the current unit refurb began Nov '16 and was completed last week in all 185 units. They'll be finishing up the facade painting and waterproofing in the next 3 weeks.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to the GM asking about the Sales Gallery and unit refurbs. He replied that the Sales Gallery conversion was done Feb-Oct '16 to X10 2BR units, and, the current unit refurb began Nov '16 and was completed last week in all 185 units. They'll be finishing up the facade painting and waterproofing in the next 3 weeks.

If they started in Nov it is possible BocaBoy was in one of the first units to get the refurb.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Oh and one other thing- they are getting new patio furniture and ceiling fans for the balconies. They aren't here yet but are on order- will be a metal frame with a composite/wood look slat type design. They have samples that you can see.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If they started in Nov it is possible BocaBoy was in one of the first units to get the refurb.
I think that must have been the case. We were there in mid-December. It was really nice.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Surfwatch and had a great time with amazing weather. The new units are very nice. We did not use the pullout but it is the non-spring foam type that I personally prefer.

Not to be negative but the mattresses are some of the hardest we have ever slept on. I like firm mattresses but not quite that hard.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Going to Surfwatch soon, via a 3BR Garden View II exchange.

Any suggestions when requesting the room preferences? I'll shoot for high floor with no preference on proximity to the elevator. Is one building better than another? Which are refurbished?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
We'll, our 3BR Surfwatch II exchange got us into Tidemark bldg via an Oceanside view overlooking the marsh.

The refurbishment is very nicely done as indicated above. And we love the size and layout of the 3BR villa! Quite spacious and well appointed.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the renovations including the apparently controversial door-less master shower.

36683533252_660b857348_c.jpg

36683533812_526aa0211c_c.jpg

36683534442_539ed26881_c.jpg

36854452005_afac41b9d5_c.jpg

36715272321_ec13cd11a9_c.jpg