• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Talk to me about benefits of owning a GPX SoCal resort

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
It seems grand pacific resort ownership is promoted here, but the maint fees are expensive compared to many other SoCal resorts (or trading in). What is the value? I've heard of GPX exchange possibilities here and there, but I don't know much about details and availability. I also know it lifts the 1 in 4 RCI restriction, but it seems there has to be more to this system to justify the cost?

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
When we purchased a Grand Pacific Resort (GPR) property in 2001 our biggest decision drivers were:
a) getting around the RCI inbound trade restrictions;
b) day use at our home resort including a variety of on-site activities;
c) exceptionally high RCI trade power (now diminished and a rather bitter topic)
d) access to bonus time, GPX exchanges, ResorTime options

For us, the glory days of GPR ownership is past-tense. :(

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There isn't a membership cost, its included with ownership in the system. RCI and Interval have membership fees. No fee for guest certs. Exchange fee $189.

Maint fees are equal or cheaper than HGVC or Marriott, not sure which resorts you are comparing that are cheaper. I pay $900 for a one bedroom at Seapointe.

They get inventory deposits from other systems like DRI and BlueGreen that sell for cash and frequently have bogo and half off sales. There are also lots of cheap insider weeks worldwide ($349 or less inside 90 days). I have rented many of these bonus weeks and pay less than TUG bargain deals rate ($100/night). There are some expensive weeks in there, I avoid them. I think they jack up the rates on those to deter owners from renting bonus weeks.

There are some daily resort fees that are a pain. Owners have already paid it with mf so its double billing imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
There isn't a membership cost, its included with ownership in the system. RCI and Interval have membership fees. No fee for guest certs.
Great point! Thanks for that encouragement.

Maint fees are equal or cheaper than HGVC or Marriott, not sure which resorts you are comparing that are cheaper. I pay $900 for a one bedroom at Seapointe.
I'm not thrilled by the resort quality of my GPR property at GPP. GPP isn't Marriott. The units underwhelm me by their lack of in-room laundry; I'm disappointed by decreased RCI trade power and policy changes regarding the 'adult' pool. If I compare my satisfaction level against Worldmark, I find myself growing frustrated with GPP's dues (>$1000/week for a 1BR unit). I consider GPP's dues excessive in recent years.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great point! Thanks for that encouragement.

I'm not thrilled by the resort quality of my GPR property at GPP. GPP isn't Marriott. The units underwhelm me by their lack of in-room laundry; I'm disappointed by decreased RCI trade power and policy changes regarding the 'adult' pool. If I compare my satisfaction level against Worldmark, I find myself growing frustrated with GPP's dues (>$1000/week for a 1BR unit). I consider GPP's dues excessive in recent years.

I've never stayed at GPP, just a walkthrough of the model during a sales pitch. I agree there are a lot of variances in quality and cost across the system. I had one of the tiny one bedroom with the curtain at Coronado, that one is all about location.

Not sure about decrease in RCI, I got 30 tpu for a June week end of float season. I was able to trade for Bay Club so it was a wash in fees.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well the main reason I own a GPX resort is that I fell in love with the resort: Carlsbad Inn. We love the location, the activities, the vibe. Also, for me it's the staff. They seem far more professional and helpful than staff at other, more independent resorts.
I appreciate the day use and take advantage when I can, but that's more of just a perk. If I owned at GPP then I would use the facilities a bit more (I like the large lap pool).
I have not traded through GPX but I have booked two rental vacations through them and the inventory and prices are pretty good.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
what kind of options are there for summer socal weeks in GPX?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
what kind of options are there for summer socal weeks in GPX?
I think the website is open for searching w/out a login. Search away!

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the website is open for searching w/out a login. Search away!
Oh! I didn't realize that was the same as what members saw!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The primary reason to own a GPX property (imo) would be to use it. The locations in Southern CA are awesome. We bought within GPX primarily because of location (Seapointe, Coronado) but have found the day use to be our favorite feature. We're down at Coronado almost weekly. The trading power in RCI has been all over the place in the past few years (my Seapointe week 32 1 bed has gone from 50 to mid 30's - then mid 40's) but there are many more cost effective RCI traders out there. I wouldn't buy this as a trader. As far as the maintenance fees, I think that they are on the average to high side, but the quality has definitely increased recently with the new renovations.

I have heard that there is GPX preference on RCI but have not tested this. I am thinking of giving GPX a try with our Coronado week and try to exchange into Hanalei Bay Resort.

Btw, I have definitely seen summer weeks on GPX in the past, but I think that it's hit or miss. If I recall correctly, I think that I saw summer 2017 weeks earlier this year - maybe late winter or early spring. Presley mentioned that she didn't think that the ongoing searches in GPX were automated, so you are rolling the dice when requesting. The bonus weeks are awesome. I sent my dad and his wife to the Ka'anapali Beach Club about two years ago for about $500 all in. They were even given a partial ocean view room.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I have heard that there is GPX preference on RCI but have not tested this. I am thinking of giving GPX a try with our Coronado week and try to exchange into Hanalei Bay Resort.
A member of the RCI team told me that there is no preference in RCI no matter what resort you own. But I think that might not be true.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A member of the RCI team told me that there is no preference in RCI no matter what resort you own. But I think that might not be true.

Or it might be a thing of the past. Once upon a time VRI managed resorts had an RCI preference.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another GPR Perk, at least at GPP, is "discounted, automatic RCI subscription renewal."

I don't know the current rate as we've not taken advantage of this particular perk ... but if memory serves correctly, it was $55/year in 2001. I do wish I knew the current renewal rate as I'm running out of pre-paid years from the way-back-when South Africa purchase.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another GPR Perk, at least at GPP, is "discounted, automatic RCI subscription renewal."

I don't know the current rate as we've not taken advantage of this particular perk ... but if memory serves correctly, it was $55/year in 2001. I do wish I knew the current renewal rate as I'm running out of pre-paid years from the way-back-when South Africa purchase.

Its $79 now, and they don't transfer the money to RCI until Feb 1st, even if you pay in November. I ran into that this year as mine was expiring in Feb and I couldn't search past the expiration. Once AVCO paid my one year RCI renewal I still had to add more time because I wanted a May 2018 trade.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Its $79 now, and they don't transfer the money to RCI until Feb 1st, even if you pay in November. I ran into that this year as mine was expiring in Feb and I couldn't search past the expiration. Once AVCO paid my one year RCI renewal I still had to add more time because I wanted a May 2018 trade.
Thank you, Dave! My RCI renewal is Dec with expiration at 2020, so perhaps I should switch back to GPR's coverage before next year's invoicing cycle to keep two years paid forward? Hmmm.

Thanks for the info!