• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nice!

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Get ready for construction noise on north-side of WKORVN.
Guess they will have to tackle the 'smell'

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Get ready for construction noise on north-side of WKORVN.
Guess they will have to tackle the 'smell'

I predict that my requests for a north view at WKORV-N will be honored this year. ;)

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I wouldn't mind owning those 1Bd OF, but overall I am not a proponent. Already too crowded...

I predict a 1Bd OF (pre construction) at $78K...

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Whats the II code, I need to get my 2017 OGS started lol.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Whats the II code, I need to get my 2017 OGS started lol.

:rofl:

This was well-timed announcement following Starwood Vacation spinoff company press release for new publicly traded company. actually A good Amount of Development News recently, A Very Good Sign Of The Economy.

I Haven't Been To That Side Of Maui In 30+ Years. Hope Improvements To Road Infrastructure Is Also Planned.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I Haven't Been To That Side Of Maui In 30+ Years. Hope Improvements To Road Infrastructure Is Also Planned.

West Maui has great roads that Are Paved and Even Have Street Lights.

Sent from my iPad

psfcfa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, Four Seasons Aviara
Wow is right...I never thought it would happen. Now I will definitely do the Owners thing when I go to WKORV next week!

Bob808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news for fans of SVN !

( And nice to have this news on a forum where so many forums are filled with posts from doubters.)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Does this announcement affect DeniseM's "timeshare goddess" status? :ponder:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this announcement affect DeniseM's "timeshare goddess" status? :ponder:

Alas, only mortal. ;)

Do you think we should consider timeshare salespeople as "The True Oracles" from now on? :hysterical: :rofl: I'm curious to see the final, final resort/unit plans - I thought plans changed and the resort would only have dedicated 2 and 3BR units? I'm sure the price sheets will be eye-popping. Some of the 2BR's at the Hyatt Kaanapali were $120K+. I wonder if Nanea will be considered a completely separate resort, or will amenities be shared with WKORV and WKORVN? Will it be sold as "points" like Coral Vista? Will it require a higher level of points to stay there? Will WKORV and WKORVN get a boost in StarOptions, like WSJ got when they started selling the Coral Vista phase? SO many questions!

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I guess Maui is just seeing Timeshares for the cash cows they are and their need for additional tax dollars tied to owners who are not voting residents has outweighed other objections they had to Starwood and other developers.

alotofgolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek:
as an owner of 2 weeks there (north) I don't like this for construction/disruption reasons then 1k more people right there on the beach and walkway

solitude of this vacation will be a thing of the past

only upside...maybe resale values will climb dramatically if SVN prices or "points" the new units into the stratosphere

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess Maui is just seeing Timeshares for the cash cows they are and their need for additional tax dollars tied to owners who are not voting residents has outweighed other objections they had to Starwood and other developers.

With Maui County needing more jobs and tax revenues, the generally improved economy, and developers knowing there are huge profits in sales - it's not too surprising that Hyatt, Hilton (www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217600) and Starwood have expanded on the island. That's a LOT of high end timeshare weeks.

Rsauer3473

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that all these about new resorts and the timeshare spin-off is coming at the same time that Starwood's CEO VanPaasschen is forced to resign.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
only upside...maybe resale values will climb dramatically if SVN prices or "points" the new units into the stratosphere

I do believe that Starwood will increase the SOs required to exchange into ALL phases of WKORV/N. I think it's long overdue and perfectly fair given the amount of $ owners pay in MFs each year. Why should an owner who pays $1800 in MFs be allowed to exchange into a resort where the MFs are $2500-3000? The disparity makes no sense and it's bottlenecking SVN.

Plus, there is a historical precedent for increasing SOs for resorts in active sales as they've done this at both WLR and WSJ.

Assuming they do increase the SOs, I see them echoing WSJ's chart. The huge wrinkle in this plan is that Starwood coded Hawaii as platinum plus the entire year. I don't think it'd be fair, or realistic, to increase SOs for a 2 bdrm above the 148,100 threshhold year round. The only way around this would be to create seasons ex post facto, which would require awarding owners x SOs for exchanging OUT while requiring y SOs for exchanging IN.

If they don't create seasons, I don't know how they can significantly increase the SOs for Hawaiian properties without pissing off other SVN owners and potentially harming sales for villas that couldn't reach that 176,700 threshhold even if they banked one year.

It will definitely be interesting to see how they play their hand here.

As far as increasing the resale value at WKORV/N, I don't know. Certainly it should help sales to get more SOs in return for those high sky MFs, but that will be mollified significantly by the 33% increase in supply. Prospective buyers might actually hold off on buying now to see if they can get in more easily, and far more cheaply, using SVN or II, than in buying there.

And, of course, buyers tend to flock to the new and shiny.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I do believe that Starwood will increase the SOs required to exchange into ALL phases of WKORV/N. I think it's long overdue and perfectly fair given the amount of $ owners pay in MFs each year. Why should an owner who pays $1800 in MFs be allowed to exchange into a resort where the MFs are $2500-3000? The disparity makes no sense and it's bottlenecking SVN.

I agree with this logic, but think the messiness of the seasons makes it a problem for them to implement. Other systems (HGVC) have left the legacy properties point charts intact when they develop new timeshares on the same site and then use that as part of the sales pitch (buy Nanea and get 176,100 StarOptions/HomeOptions but you can use those to trade back into WKORV and get a 8-10 nights in an 2BR instead of 7 nights).

I think what Starwood might do is could premium value the views at Nanea as well, just as GrandIslander has done in HGVC. Perhaps OF will be 196,900, OV will be 176,100 and IV will be 148,100 -- all for a 2BR. and a 3BR might be 257,700.

Who knows -- pure speculation of course, but it seems plausible to me, based upon what recent market actions have been by competitors.

Best,

Greg

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ which leaves HRA somewhat stuck still paying $3k MF for 148k points and unable to trade into the like Unit in HI just like that cannot I to WSJ now.

Also a mismatch between HI islands. Though demand can be argued for that.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
^ which leaves HRA somewhat stuck still paying $3k MF for 148k points and unable to trade into the like Unit in HI just like that cannot I to WSJ now.

Also a mismatch between HI islands. Though demand can be argued for that.

Well, if they went with a points like I suggested, where only Nanea changes, then you could still trade into WKORV or WKORV-N.

And HGVC did this to their HHV owners when they developed KingsLand. With my 9,600 points, I was below the lowest pointed 2BR at KL.

We will see what they do -- timeshare developers don't seem to care that much on the impact to the existing owner...

Best,

Greg