• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Exit Team on the radio, even on Glenn Beck. I wrote a letter again today:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would sending a letter to the State Attorney General claiming false advertising get the attention of the radio station/syndicator? Documentation of false claims would be necessary.
Just a thought.

What are the false claims?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What are the false claims?

Kids inherit week; resort has no availability when you want to book your week; cannot trade to go anywhere. That is just a few....

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids inherit week; resort has no availability when you want to book your week; cannot trade to go anywhere. That is just a few....

Kids inherit the week is not a false claim. Kids often assume that they do have to inherit the timeshare, and then once they do they are stuck. Failing to let them know that they do not have to may be the "right" thing to do, but what are they specifically saying verbatim that is a patently false? As for not being able to trade anywhere when/where you want to go or there is not availability when you want to book, those are legitimate complaints often made by timeshare owners, including newbies on TUG. It is not TSET's responsibility to teach someone how to make the most of their ownership. If someone every year only thinks to try to use their timeshare for use or exchange a month before their intended travel dates, and is frustrated with the results, then it isn't working out for their needs as far as that owner is concerned. TSET is not TUG, and has no obligation to teach them what they can do on their own. I don't really see a false claim.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Kids inherit the week is not a false claim.

They don't have to take the week, and TSET says they do, and that is in the timeshare "contract." You say something often enough, people believe it. And honestly, it's a scare tactic used by the PCC's for years. It's the way they make their money, and it's deceitful. But no company is out there saying, "Hey, your kids don't have to take that timeshare." There is no money in it.

As for not being able to trade anywhere when/where you want to go or there is not availability when you want to book, those are legitimate complaints often made by timeshare owners, including newbies on TUG. It is not TSET's responsibility to teach someone how to make the most of their ownership. If someone every year only thinks to try to use their timeshare for use or exchange a month before their intended travel dates, and is frustrated with the results, then it isn't working out for their needs as far as that owner is concerned.

Yep, you need to learn to use what you own, and if that means you pay your fees a year ahead of time, then do it and book your desired week. Any educated person knows to call the resort and ask, "How can I get week 27 next year at my home resort, during my floating season." And NO, TSET has no obligation to tell them that, but they ARE feeding the misconception that it is impossible to get the week you want, and that no one will help you!

And trading works, too. I have had made a great hobby of trading my weeks. I now own way too many and should have thought of my own limits on vacation time, but it's been fun just the same.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
They don't have to take the week, and TSET says they do, and that is in the timeshare "contract." You say something often enough, people believe it. And honestly, it's a scare tactic used by the PCC's for years. It's the way they make their money, and it's deceitful. But no company is out there saying, "Hey, your kids don't have to take that timeshare." There is no money in it.

Are you sure they say that "your children have to inherit the week"? When I look on the website they say they can help you if you do not want your children to inherit your week. It is simply not disclosing that your children don't have to inherit your week.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
again, very similar tactics used in timeshare sales presentations where what is said may technically be true, but of course its said in a way or phrased such that it feeds the natural fear of a parent leaving their child with a debt or headache they dont want.

no parent wants to leave a burden on their children upon passing. however being perfectly honest and upfront with owners and explaining how they can prepare for the eventuality of their deaths to ensure their children (assuming the kids dont want it in the first place) are not stuck with an unwanted timeshare would certainly not end up in many people paying a significant upfront fee!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
again, very similar tactics used in timeshare sales presentations where what is said may technically be true, but of course its said in a way or phrased such that it feeds the natural fear of a parent leaving their child with a debt or headache they dont want.

no parent wants to leave a burden on their children upon passing. however being perfectly honest and upfront with owners and explaining how they can prepare for the eventuality of their deaths to ensure their children (assuming the kids dont want it in the first place) are not stuck with an unwanted timeshare would certainly not end up in many people paying a significant upfront fee!

No disagreement there. But where's the money in that? ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just saw a new commercial today for TET. The "gentleman" gives one example of a single woman who bought 10,000 points (no system mentioned at all), and apparently the sales' department had her on a list of suckers, so they called her again and again to sell her more. Apparently, she now owed $500,000 for one timeshare! TET got her out of it. :shrug:

What system, so we can all be outraged at the company, if this is a true story? Could be Diamond, I guess.

There is no explaining stupid people who would say yes over and over again, and maybe there are some, but geez, that story sounds made up, and his eyes were all over the place while telling the story.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a different ad on WOR 710 in NY and it catches your attention. It kind of goes like this:

The two best days for owning a boat are the day that you buy it and the day that you sell it.
The same is true for a timeshare, except that you can't sell it, not even on an auction site for $1 and you can't even use it when you want to even though you pay ever increasing maintenance fees blah blah blah.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The irony of these commercials is this company is not going to get any of their customers' money back. These guys just get them out of the contract. Could that woman really owe $500K, because if she does, she should file bankruptcy, definitely, and hurt the timeshare company.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The irony of these commercials is this company is not going to get any of their customers' money back. These guys just get them out of the contract. Could that woman really owe $500K, because if she does, she should file bankruptcy, definitely, and hurt the timeshare company.

She could hurt herself with bankruptcy too. Maybe paying some money to just get out is fine by her.

rleigh

Reaction score
I rarely listen to Dave Ramsey, but one time I did and he was advertising for one of those companies. He said under no circumstances should you ever buy, but if you do, use these guys to get rid of it.

That was the last time I listened to him.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it a very expensive route for something a TS owner can do for himself? Yes.

But, in all fairness, at least TSET will do what you pay it to do (albeit a lot of money) and get the ownership into another party's hands - even if it is the HOA. In contrast, the upfront fee scammers take your money and do nothing....
What exactly does TSET do? Sell the timeshares on eBay?Pressure the HOA to take them back? First try to sell on eBay, then if that doesn't work, try to pressure the HOA to take them back?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly does TSET do?...Pressure the HOA to take them back?

From what I've read, yes that's what TSET does. Perhaps TSET uses the some of the thousands of dollars that the owner paid and uses it to pay closing costs and maybe even the next MF.

My guess is (and this is just a guess) that when an HOA sees that a firm like TSET and its many experiences with TS owners comes and threatens the HOA, the HOA might just feel that it is not worth it to try to deal with TSET and its persistence. The HOA might feel that it might as well take a few bucks from TSET to pay for closing and the next MF and then be done with that pesky, annoying TSET.

Regardless, my personal advice to anyone who comes on here asking if (s)he should use TSET is to try to get rid of it himself. The person can do it for a lot less money than paying TSET (or any other law firm, PCC, charity, or viking ship company) if he is willing to use a little time and effort.

NPKW

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then what do I do?

I have read all your comments and of course canceled my appointment with TExit.

I have my two TS listed on TUG for $1. No responses. I tried another website and paid for ads. Wasted my money. One resort charges about $3,000 to take it back and I am unsure about fees of the other one. They are both deeded weeks, one is a Gold Crown fixed Red week.

I am over 70 and travel less now. If I cannot give them away what do you suggest I do? There must be an answer for this.:wave:

From what I've read, yes that's what TSET does. Perhaps TSET uses the some of the thousands of dollars that the owner paid and uses it to pay closing costs and maybe even the next MF.

My guess is (and this is just a guess) that when an HOA sees that a firm like TSET and its many experiences with TS owners comes and threatens the HOA, the HOA might just feel that it is not worth it to try to deal with TSET and its persistence. The HOA might feel that it might as well take a few bucks from TSET to pay for closing and the next MF and then be done with that pesky, annoying TSET.

Regardless, my personal advice to anyone who comes on here asking if (s)he should use TSET is to try to get rid of it himself. The person can do it for a lot less money than paying TSET (or any other law firm, PCC, charity, or viking ship company) if he is willing to use a little time and effort.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have my two TS listed on TUG for $1. No responses. I tried another website and paid for ads. Wasted my money. One resort charges about $3,000 to take it back and I am unsure about fees of the other one. They are both deeded weeks, one is a Gold Crown fixed Red week.

I am over 70 and travel less now. If I cannot give them away what do you suggest I do? There must be an answer for this.:wave:

Did you list them under Bargain Deals? This is a forum on TUG and not a classified ad. If you didn't do that, you should, because it makes your week very visible to someone who might love to own it.

$3,000 is less than what TET is going to charge. Just sayin'.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

You have to be patient. It can take many months before someone responds to your ad. As Cindy said, you need to put them in both the Marketplace and the Bargain basement forum. Then, be patient.

If you feel that your red week is valuable, you could list that on Redweek.com for a fee. You have to be very patient there again.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I do note that in both of your ads, you dont appear to offer to pay closing costs.

when you are in a river of free ads for a resort, people are going to pick the ones that are truly free (ie the seller is covering costs)...there is really no incentive for a buyer to pay closing costs on a resort the owner is desperate to give away.

you also mention you are unsure about the other week, did you contact the HOA to inform them of your age and inability to travel to see if they would take it back or reduce their fee?

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
not sure I like this new format. no place to put in title, which get a better search on google.

I hear the Timeshare Exit Attorney ads in my town and figure they are helping some poeple but for the most part they get paid no matter if you get out of your TS contract or NOT..

I figure if they have to advertise then they are not all that in demand.

Too bad for folks that get scammed by these guys. do some homework.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
title isnt used for individual posts...only as the title of the overall thread itself.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Well, Timeshare Exit Team has Welk's attention: http://www.insidethegate.com/2017/0...-timeshare-exit-team-for-racketeering-scheme/

"The suit, filed on Tuesday, July 25, provides details on how Reid Hein, based in Lynwood, Washington, Timeshare Exit Team and its co-conspirators used false advertising, fraudulent guarantees and misleading correspondence to recruit vacation owners in a nationwide scheme based on the false promise of getting owners out of their timeshare contracts with no consequences."

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
was just about to post this...should be interesting! wonder if any other developers hop on board!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
was just about to post this...should be interesting! wonder if any other developers hop on board!
Right? I was honestly surprised at their interest in filing a lawsuit if the number of contracts affected is such a low number (less than 1%), according to them. I also thought that it was interesting that they indicated damage to the credit reports for unpaid maintenance fees/ loans. They are doing the reporting I suspect. It will be interesting to follow this lawsuit.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. "Exit" companies exist because they fill a need that developers, resort owners and hospitality companies fail to recognize i.e. the need for a robust market-driven resales market that follows the same rules as other real estate transactions.