• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips and Tricks When at WKORV

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Agree withh all comments. Aloha Mixed plate for May-Ties.
Get the free membership at Safeway it will save you a bundle.
Don't do road to Hana and Haleakala in the same day
Great breakfast place at base of Haleakala
Pineapple farm tour is a lot of fun
And finally absolutly do a tour with Trilogy tours. We did a tour to Lani and it was the highlight of the trip.

Do requests of ground floor every get fulfilled? I know that you just get island view exchanging in, but I would love to have a ground floor unit...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are actually two separate shuttle runs. One of them only goes between the sheraton and westin hotels and the other run goes to the sheraton and westin (next to Whalers Village) then to the lahaina cannery mall then to the Hilo Hattie that is walking distance to front street then makes it's final stop at the foodland shopping center. It then makes the circuit back to the WKORV.

As far as renting or buying beach chairs, we have had very good service with http://www.babyrentalsmaui.com/maui-baby-rental-packages.php

We use to purchase two beach chairs, an umbrella and two boogie boards at costco and not only does it not make sense money wise, unless we were staying on one island for over two weeks but trying to fit in the rental with all of our luggage was always a problem.

In addition to the company listed in the quote, has anyone rented the maui beach bundle from The Snorkel Store, just wondering if getting the snorkel set with it is a good deal? https://thesnorkelstore.com/product/beach-bundle-package/

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
In addition to the company listed in the quote, has anyone rented the maui beach bundle from The Snorkel Store, just wondering if getting the snorkel set with it is a good deal? https://thesnorkelstore.com/product/beach-bundle-package/

I have seen that place from the road (right next to CJ's) but never gone in. Their snorkel gear looks like good quality - silicone masks and comfortable rubber fins. Same TB chairs and umbrellas as Maui Beach Rental...
I think I will try them out when we are there in Oct. :D

Da5id

TUG Member
Reaction score
One additional spot you may want to add to your list is Plantation House in Kapalua. It is up the hillside and has fabulous views of the golf course and ocean in the distance. Great spot for breakfast or lunch. Dinner is a bit pricey but the panoramic views make it special. We stop here for lunch every visit.

We bought the Passport Dining gold card mostly for use in Omaha but have used it twice at the Plantation House which is the only location in Hawaii that accepts it. Used it for buy one-get one free entree at breakfast and dinner so far. Food was very good both times.

And thanks to all who posted tips earlier. Here's another: if you're going to the Lavender gardens or Haleakala, the food is pretty good at the Kula bistro.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just used them this past two weeks. Great customer service, texted us when they dropped off the chairs and umbrella. I would not rent or buy an umbrella next time. The winds on the beach gusted way to high, not only tough on our Tommy Bahama umbrella, but basically everyone elses as well. We ended up renting one for a day $20.

I'm getting ready to select a bundle to rent for our upcoming trip in August. I really think I need an umbrella but the post above and others I have seen state not to rent the umbrella due to the winds. However I feel, if I'm sitting on the beach, I'm going to need some relief from the sun and the shade of the umbrella would provide that...

Can anyone tell me yes or no on the umbrella rental... I think I will go with Maui Baby Rental. thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm getting ready to select a bundle to rent for our upcoming trip in August. I really think I need an umbrella but the post above and others I have seen state not to rent the umbrella due to the winds. However I feel, if I'm sitting on the beach, I'm going to need some relief from the sun and the shade of the umbrella would provide that...

Can anyone tell me yes or no on the umbrella rental... I think I will go with Maui Baby Rental. thanks

Yes - the sun and the sand is hot (!) - especially in August - do not listen to those who say not to get an umbrella - get an umbrella hold-down! Also get a 'parasheet' for the sand - they are great (see below).

see umbrella set-up (ignore sun-worshiper)
notice, 'no-blow' yellow umbrella hold-down (filed with sand) <--- this!
8c385d9e5163f6ecfaab5b2ace3f3fda_zps5b9ad2f4.jpg

or this one - blue 'no-blo'
why is this chick always in the sun? and in my shots? ;)
5FA18E8A-07C4-45E7-A4A2-30F237DE8423_zpshjnvwul7.jpg

or rent one of these from WKORV/N for >$30day!!!
(but at least they set-up/break-down)
a0e648ac683e610938f7f01b838cdd67_zps32dxdtl1.jpg

I set-up in early morning (in shade) before WKORV/N sets up.
If crowded - go to edge of sand drop-off (above water line) - about 20ft in towards ocean from this set-up - if you want to maintain clear view, otherwise WKORV/N may set-up in front of you
bcca0914f61527f48716303165b46834_zps50710c61.jpg

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David, thank you... Where did you rent your equipment from and can you rent the noblo

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David, thank you... Where did you rent your equipment from and can you rent the noblo

Maui Baby - they drop-off/pick-up at valet.
I bought the No-Blo on-line when they 1st went on sale (like $5...) - got the hook-up from Tugger on this forum.
http://www.thenoblo.com
they are now sold ($18) on Amazon Prime (still worth it...) - and suggest ParaSheet as well ($40 on Amazon Prime - also worth it) - light weight (small volume) - sheds sand/water (photo on top shows ParaSheet)

ps - face umbrella with top toward wind... lower umbrella height based on wind

Last edited:

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gourmet rice bowl at Ocean Pool Bar and Grill is the absolute best deal going. $15 and you pick chicken, beef, or shrimp with kim chee or kabayaki sauce. Wonderful mix of vegetables. Hit that three times. 10:30 to 1:30. Very popular.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gourmet rice bowl at Ocean Pool Bar and Grill is the absolute best deal going. $15 and you pick chicken, beef, or shrimp with kim chee or kabayaki sauce. Wonderful mix of vegetables. Hit that three times. 10:30 to 1:30. Very popular.

WOW, thank you --- what meat choice did you like the best?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Baby - they drop-off/pick-up at valet.
I bought the No-Blo on-line when they 1st went on sale (like $5...) - got the hook-up from Tugger on this forum.
http://www.thenoblo.com
they are now sold ($18) on Amazon Prime (still worth it...) - and suggest ParaSheet as well ($40 on Amazon Prime - also worth it) - light weight (small volume) - sheds sand/water (photo on top shows ParaSheet)

ps - face umbrella with top toward wind... lower umbrella height based on wind

David, Do you think I could purchase a ParaSheet in Maui, or would it be better to purchase now and place in luggage? thanks

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David, Do you think I could purchase a ParaSheet in Maui, or would it be better to purchase now and place in luggage? thanks

Purchase now - it is light-weight and packs small. Never seen them in Maui. We got our 1st in St John.

Alluc

Reaction score
How about more "local kine" tips

Da Kitchen for lunch right after we land. Located by the BMW of Maui.

Pick up Sam Sato's dry saimin for dinner. In Wailuku

Get a Guri Guri frozen treat. Near the TJ Max.

Bai Li in the cannery mall for CHEAP eats. The Bhan mi sandwiches are good, as is Pho, or any of their specials. Garlic shrimp over rice or salad is a favorite

Ululani's for shave ice.

Patty Cakes Bakery snowball cookies.

Homemaid Bakery crispy manju. My wife likes the apple and peach we heat them in a pan to crisp them up, like a mini hand pie...

Foodland poke, legit.

Swap meet Saturday at Maui College. We get flowers for the week(s), produce, local treats like butter mocha, banana bread, lilikoi bread, samosas, pork rinds, etc. All your souvenirs are here too, and cheaper than the store or the "shows" at your resort. Look for local made jewelry for unique gifts.

Aloha

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Purchase now - it is light-weight and packs small. Never seen them in Maui. We got our 1st in St John.

I just purchased a Grand Truck Parasheet from Amazon, I looked everwhere and their price, with my Prime was a good deal...thanks again for the help.

Have you rented boogie boards from Maui Baby before and were you happy?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just purchased a Grand Truck Parasheet from Amazon, I looked everwhere and their price, with my Prime was a good deal...thanks again for the help.

Have you rented boogie boards from Maui Baby before and were you happy?

We did rent boogie boards for our friends 9yo twins - they had a blast.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Super helpful thread!

So we're headed to WKORV-N for the first time on a SO exchange next week (Mar. 27-Apr. 3) and am wondering about the valet parking. Since there was no direct flight for us on both the same check-in/check-out day of the week we decided to fly out a day earlier. Because of this I've booked a one night stay in WKORV via spg.com - so we'll get to try both phases while we are there.

Since this is technically two stays, do we get the first 24 hours of valet parking for free twice (first day as hotel guest, the next day as timeshare) - or is that only for timeshare owners/exchangers rather than hotel guests so we only get it once?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We did the Ipukukui and found it a waste of time. They are going to start charging $15/person for it. Which I also find really not worth it. We had one drink in a crowded room, listening to infomercials for an hour. Thumbs down unless they revamp it when they start charging for it. They did say they are talking about bringing back the kid hula dancers.

This was the first time they had us go to the market to get a gift. They had a little area to pick out something between mugs, cups, bags, wine or 4pk of beer. Didn't offer to us last July.

Not much new for us in restaurants except Tin Roof. There's hardly any seating, but food was awesome. We went there before our Costco run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Not sure about the valet parking via a booking through spg.com. However, they are very much two separate resorts .... different lobbies and different parking lot for each resort.