• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tips for Sanibel?

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed to Sanibel Island on Saturday, with a second week in Lehigh Acres afterward. Any tips for restaurants or activities? Thanks!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ding darling, beach, bubble room, doc fords , boat trip to useppa island, I could go on and on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed to Sanibel Island on Saturday, with a second week in Lehigh Acres afterward. Any tips for restaurants or activities? Thanks!

If you enjoy nature, native wildlife and the outdoors, don't miss the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge. Interesting history too --- I think it was actually one of the very first properties to become federally protected and preserved when President Theodore Roosevelt boldly implemented that brand new concept around 1900.

The narrated tram tours are informative, but you may not want to take a "motorized" approach to visiting / touring a wildlife refuge. Worth a visit in any event, to be sure.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Take bikes everywhere because parking price is expensive! We usually park car at resort the entire week and bike everywhere

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
There is a nice farmers market on Sundays, morning-mid afternoon. We enjoyed eating at Matzaluna on our last stay on Sanibel. We haven't eaten at the Mucky Duck but friends have and recommend it. Many people say to visit the Bubble Room to look around but eat at the Mucky Duck.

Which resort are you staying at on Sanibel? We've stayed at Casa Ybel, the Caribe Beach Resort, and the Sanibel Beach Club. We've also stayed at two different places at the South Seas Island Resort on Captiva.

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a nice farmers market on Sundays, morning-mid afternoon. We enjoyed eating at Matzaluna on our last stay on Sanibel. We haven't eaten at the Mucky Duck but friends have and recommend it. Many people say to visit the Bubble Room to look around but eat at the Mucky Duck.

Which resort are you staying at on Sanibel? We've stayed at Casa Ybel, the Caribe Beach Resort, and the Sanibel Beach Club. We've also stayed at two different places at the South Seas Island Resort on Captiva.

I would love to catch the farmer's market!

We're staying at the Lighthouse Resort & Club.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I would love to catch the farmer's market!

We're staying at the Lighthouse Resort & Club.

The shelling is usually very good at that end of the island around the lighthouse. The Yucatan Shrimp at Doc Ford's is excellent.

I would be interested to read what you think of Lehigh Acres. I see a lot of availability at that resort and my sister asked me about it.

These are pictures from our December 2017 stay at the Caribe Beach Resort on Sanibel with our 5 year old granddaughter. She was afraid the kite was too high and the gulls would eat it. My husband couldn't figure out what she was talking about. She knows that gulls eat fish and she was worried that they wouldn't know that Nemo on her kite wasn't a real fish. She loved that kite and had a great time playing with it.

upload_2017-5-5_1-59-48.jpeg

At Matzaluna Restaurant on Sanibel.
upload_2017-5-5_1-59-23.jpeg

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I agree that the Yucatan Shrimp Tacos at Doc Fords are a must if you like shrimp. Overall the rest of the menu is good too.

When I was there, on Friday nights Sanibel Grill had their great Lobster special.

If you cook and like seafood, next door to the Sanibal Grill, is the Timber Restaurant and Seafood Market. Every seafood item we purchased and cooked on our own was great tasting. We did try the restaurant and didn't like it.

I toured the lighthouse resort when I was on Sanibel. I really liked it, I hope you do too.

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Yucatan Shrimp Tacos at Doc Fords are a must if you like shrimp. Overall the rest of the menu is good too.

When I was there, on Friday nights Sanibel Grill had their great Lobster special.

If you cook and like seafood, next door to the Sanibal Grill, is the Timber Restaurant and Seafood Market. Every seafood item we purchased and cooked on our own was great tasting. We did try the restaurant and didn't like it.

I toured the lighthouse resort when I was on Sanibel. I really liked it, I hope you do too.

We love to cook. Usually we're grilling steaks outdoors, but I wouldn't mind cooking a seafood or fish dinner. Thanks for the tip about the lobster dinner. We haven't had any since our vacation two years ago in Maine.

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The shelling is usually very good at that end of the island around the lighthouse. The Yucatan Shrimp at Doc Ford's is excellent.

I would be interested to read what you think of Lehigh Acres. I see a lot of availability at that resort and my sister asked me about it.

These are pictures from our December 2017 stay at the Caribe Beach Resort on Sanibel with our 5 year old granddaughter. She was afraid the kite was too high and the gulls would eat it. My husband couldn't figure out what she was talking about. She knows that gulls eat fish and she was worried that they wouldn't know that Nemo on her kite wasn't a real fish. She loved that kite and had a great time playing with it.

View attachment 3792

At Matzaluna Restaurant on Sanibel.
View attachment 3791

Great pictures! It looks like you had a wonderful time. Too funny about Nemo!

TripAdvisor reviews for LeHigh are almost all quite favorable. Unfortunately, they'll be redoing the pool while we're there, and we had planned to lounge by the pool when we weren't doing a few inland day trips.

The biggest complaint about this resort is that it isn't close to anything, particularly beaches, but after spending a week on Sanibel, that isn't an issue for us. We just wanted a second week somewhere in the general area.

Lehigh has a reputation for an older clientele (fine with us, we're 56 and 61) and they're known for having a full activity schedule. Many people come just to hang out at the resort. I think we'll like it. We're fairly easy to please.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
we spent six weeks there while buying our home in Estero. we enjoyed the activity schedule, and if we were new to the area, would take some of the day trips they offered.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Go to the Mucky Duck on Captiva for a sunset party. Where you are staying you face more to the southeast, so you will not get a sunset over the water view.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try the Jac Bar at Jacaranda (1223 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel) for the 5-7pm Happy Hour! (The Jac Bar is behind Jacaranda.) You can easily make a meal out of their seafood "Happy Appetizers" @ $5.95 each. We thought the seared tuna, calamari, and mussel appetizers were great deals. http://www.jacarandaonsanibel.com/jacbar.html The live music was pretty good, too.

The Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Ft Myers is definitely worth a visit, too. http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/about/hours-tickets-directions/

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jacaranda has excellent food. Edison estate is a must, we love Naples botanical garden, you might check schedule at Barbara Mann theatre or broadway palms dinner theatre, I think Jesus Christ superstar will still be playing . If you decide to go to everglades' the boat trips out of the park are great, I think you can take hwy 29 straight down to hwy 41, and then to Everglades city

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hopefully you are golfers? We stayed at Lehigh Acres New Years 2016 and we had a wonderful time. We played golf on the property they have a nine hole course. Too bad the pool is closed. We enjoyed sitting by the pool. Lots of families there when we stayed. I called it a hidden gem, because when you drive up you will be appalled at the appearance located behind a gas station in what looks like a place forgotten. But when you get past the bumpy road, it's really a nice place. By no means as fancy as Sanibel but a nice place to relax. I did a review on TUG.
Silentg

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try the Jac Bar at Jacaranda (1223 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel) for the 5-7pm Happy Hour! (The Jac Bar is behind Jacaranda.) You can easily make a meal out of their seafood "Happy Appetizers" @ $5.95 each. We thought the seared tuna, calamari, and mussel appetizers were great deals. http://www.jacarandaonsanibel.com/jacbar.html The live music was pretty good, too.

The Edison and Ford Winter Estates in Ft Myers is definitely worth a visit, too. http://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/about/hours-tickets-directions/

We'll give the Jac Bar a try today. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought of an appetizer dinner, but it sounds like fun.

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you are golfers? We stayed at Lehigh Acres New Years 2016 and we had a wonderful time. We played golf on the property they have a nine hole course. Too bad the pool is closed. We enjoyed sitting by the pool. Lots of families there when we stayed. I called it a hidden gem, because when you drive up you will be appalled at the appearance located behind a gas station in what looks like a place forgotten. But when you get past the bumpy road, it's really a nice place. By no means as fancy as Sanibel but a nice place to relax. I did a review on TUG.
Silentg

We aren't golfers. We live next to a golf course and harvest lost balls every spring, though!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll give the Jac Bar a try today. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought of an appetizer dinner, but it sounds like fun.

Please give us a review afterwards! It's really nice to keep tips up-to-date in a thread like this.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We always liked The Timbers, and the Green Flash on Captiva

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a match for Casa Ybel and it looks gorgeous but it's in late August so wondering if it will be unbearably hot. I have gone to Orlando in July and Aug and can handle it until the day the heat index was like 114. I can't wait to get to Sanibel - the Sanibel Sea School looks fun for my 10yo

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will be hot and humid. You just plan for ways to cool off. On the plus side, our kids (10 and 4) LOVED watching thunderstorms roll in over the Gulf in the late afternoons and evenings! Quite unlike anything they'd ever seen in Seattle!

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please give us a review afterwards! It's really nice to keep tips up-to-date in a thread like this.
The appetizers were all $8.00 instead of $5.95, but the food was good and it was a pleasant place with good service.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the name of the place with the great burgers is it mikes? It is just a stand going toward ding darling on the right good burgers and fries.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
What is the name of the place with the great burgers is it mikes? It is just a stand going toward ding darling on the right good burgers and fries.

Remember Cheeburger Cheeburger?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember Cheeburger Cheeburger?

I do but that isn't the place, I think you had to stand outside at a small counter