• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Total Eclipse of the Sun across the USA August 21, 2017! Where will you be?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK Tuggers! Let's start hearing about your plans for August 21, 2017!
Where will you be?
Do you live in the path of the eclipse?
Were you aware of this event.

From what I have read

First to sweep across the entire country since 1918!

First total eclipse on American soil since 1991!

First on the mainland since 1979!

http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

USAtopten_1500px.jpg

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rented a house in Nashville just for the eclipse! Now to get some glasses....

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know.. This has to be one of the things to do in your lifetime. Starting to think about this now.
This is not a permanent destination you can go see like a Glacier in Alaska. This is a once in a lifetime
event.

Hmmm!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

So what is the deal with the glasses? Can you use them to look directly at the sun for a few moments? Seconds. I will have to set up my camera's.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The glasses are to watch the eclipse directly. Very dark, almost black lenses. I compare it to a welder's helmet. Watch the eclipse without burning your eyesight.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll have 95+% at home, but for totality we'll prolly drive 80ish miles N. to Sun Valley area. Weather hereabouts is usually pretty cloudless in August. Especially so in mornings and totality is at 0945ish.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Depending on weather we plan on being in Depoe Bay or somewhere with a clear sky in Oregon. I already have 6 sets of the eclipse glasses.

Bill

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Where we live in Aiken, SC, we're just outside the totality zone. If we drive to the north side of town we'll just cross the line and get a few seconds of totality. If the weather looks good we'll drive maybe 30 miles and get a couple of minutes. At least for us this can be a last minute decision -- would hate to make a long trip, stay overnight, whatever, then have it be a cloudy day.

There are lots of websites devoted to this eclipse. Here's a great interactive map. Zoom in and click on a location and it will give you lots of info about totality %, timing, duration, etc.:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I first learned of this astronomical alignment about a year ago and planned to see the eclipse from Casper, WY. When I tried making a reservation there a year in advance, all the "good" hotels were already booked. My plan then was to drive the 5 hours, observe the eclipse, then drive back.

About 4 months ago, a new Holiday Inn opened in Ogallala, NE, so I made a reservation there for the night of August 20th and ordered a half dozen pairs of the cheap sunglasses. Target location for viewing is approximately latitude 41.84 by -101.73 longitude. I will watch the weather forecast a few days prior. If the forecast calls for more than 50% cloud cover, I will cancel the reservation and adapt to another location with a better weather forecast.

This will be, for me, a once in a lifetime event, and it is sure to be spectacular!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We live in Salem Oregon. So we do not have to travel but can simply sit in our yard.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
billymach, I thought that was a funny thing to get so excited about so far in advance. Then I kept reading and there are many like you! It is a Monday, and I live hundreds of miles away so I will probably be home. I am sure it will be on the internet or TV afterwards, and there will be no risk to my eyes. I'll likely watch the partial though. Have fun. It does sound like something worth planning a trip around.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
The glasses are to watch the eclipse directly. Very dark, almost black lenses. I compare it to a welder's helmet. Watch the eclipse without burning your eyesight.

Or, if you have any of your old radiographs laying around, they work too. Just double it over on a dark section.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
DIL and her father are flying to Nashville. They tried for Jackson Hole but rooms were gone by January 2017. Nashville made them pay upfront, and it was expensive. That was in January 2017. But they will love Nashville, even if its cloudy.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to play the odds when selecting a location to view the eclipse, this graphic provides an idea of the chances, or lack thereof, for cloudiness for locations across the country based on historical data.

West of the Mississippi is the place to be for odds that are better than a coin flip.

http://eclipsophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cloudgraph-MODIS.jpg

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
At the in-laws' in Clemson, right on the center line. Nice that it's just over an hour's drive up the interstate from us. :) Our local school district is planning to get eclipse glasses for every student, but we're just outside of totality.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Where will I be? No clue.

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I know this is a big deal to some folks... A once in a lifetime event.
But I find it difficult getting worked up about it.

I'll be in Alaska, looking at some "not so permanent" glaciers.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Great American Total Solar Eclipse will be a big deal.

"Twelve million people live along the path of totality, and another 25 million live within one day's drive, Rao said. But people from all over the U.S. will be flocking to the centerline to experience the rare and amazing celestial event that is totality. As with most crowds of people heading to a major event, there will be traffic — lots and lots of traffic.

"State departments of transportation and police are expecting hurricane evacuation-like traffic," Reynolds said. So if you're planning on taking a small road trip the day of the event, give yourself plenty of time to get to the path of totality. Don't get stuck watching a partial eclipse in standstill traffic on your way to the centerline. Allot at least a few extra hours of driving, or seek lodging the night before."

http://www.space.com/36471-how-to-survive-total-solar-eclipse-2017.html

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'll probably take a day trip to eastern Wyoming or western Nebraska. Get off on some country roads and pick a fine, secluded place to observe. Unpack my picnic lunch and have a nice day.

Kurt

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
At home in Charleston, SC.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I know this is a big deal to some folks... A once in a lifetime event.
But I find it difficult getting worked up about it..

Same here. I'll be at work that day. We do have friends flying over from Scotland for that week and they'll be in Georgia that day and then head up to New England for a visit.

Edited to add: I did see a partial one years ago in Michigan which was enough for me, but I can understand how the total one gets people excited.

Last edited:

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an exchange 2BR in Western South Carolina that I think is in the totality path. I will be leaving it following the eclipse. If anyone is interested in the remainder of the week PM me. Maybe you could drive up for the eclipse and stay the rest of the week.
Yours, Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

I have some timeshares booked for nashville, but my friends backed out. So not sure what I am doing, I haven't cancelled anything yet.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I won't see anything because we always have PM thunderstorms that time of year. I saw an eclipse when I was a kid. You couldn't really look at it and it only lasts a few seconds

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
You couldn't really look at it and it only lasts a few seconds
You should only look directly at the eclipse with unprotected eyes during the period of totality -- when any of the sun's rim is directly viewable it can damage your eyes.

This total eclipse will last around 2-1/2 minutes along the centerline of the totality path but gets shorter and shorter the further you are from the centerline.