• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Total Eclipse of the Sun across the USA August 21, 2017! Where will you be?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can also use a pinhole viewer to see the eclipse. Did this many years ago during the annular eclipse that was viewable from the Toronto area. Poke a small hole in a piece of paper and allow the sunlight to pass through the pinhole on to a solid object. You will see the shadow move across the sun.

I doubt that we will go out of our way to see it. It looks like another total eclipse will pass closer to where we are in April 2024.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Charleston! Rented a week at Lodge Alley back in August 2016.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I will be overnighting the night prior in SW Iowa, which will allow me flexibility to go up to 8-10 hours in either direction along the totality path. Ideally, I'd like to be able to view in Kansas or Missouri, but based on weather I will go where I must . . . I've taken the week off on vacation and will enjoy whatever is around in the area where I end up. If it's a total bust due to clouds, I'll make due.

ADDITION (5/12) . . . looks like with the midday activity, I'll only have around 4-5 hours to get to a great viewing spot, based on weather.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's a total bust due to clouds, I'll make due.
It'll be on TV anyway, and Whoop-dee-doo, you'll get to experience a couple of minutes of darkness in the middle of a summer day!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You should only look directly at the eclipse with unprotected eyes during the period of totality -- when any of the sun's rim is directly viewable it can damage your eyes.

This total eclipse will last around 2-1/2 minutes along the centerline of the totality path but gets shorter and shorter the further you are from the centerline.
"Totality" only lasts a few seconds

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
"Totality" only lasts a few seconds
This is the second time you've posted this. As I pointed out the first time, this is true if you are barely into the totality band. Nearer the center of the band totality lasts over two minutes. See this link, zoom in and click on any area of interest to get specifics for that location.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be in Sublimity Oregon. We just decided to go (3 1/2 months ahead of time)--ALL the campsites in the Oregon State parks are booked, and hotel rooms are going for a premium (one site $250/night for Motel 6). Just as difficult as timeshare planning!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It'll be on TV anyway, and Whoop-dee-doo, you'll get to experience a couple of minutes of darkness in the middle of a summer day!

CORRECTION . . . time tables are in UT. The correct times for CDT are 11:40a (start) . . . 1:06pm (total) . . . and 2:35p (end) . . . for Kansas City, MO.

I appreciate the comment by paxsarah that had me recheck my info source.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
10:30am on the west coast to 2:30pm on the east coast seems like the middle of the day to me. Show up in the evening and you'll have missed it!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
10:30am on the west coast to 2:30pm on the east coast seems like the middle of the day to me. Show up in the evening and you'll have missed it!

Thanks for the correction! My timetable was in UT . . . not CDT. I appreciate your help.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

The dark day reminds me of the Mt St Hellens eruption. It was night time dark at 3pm .

The odd thing about this eclipse is there is another almost identical but perpendicular eclipse happening in 2024 which is about 7 years. These two eclipses form a cross over Carbondale Illinois. Kind of interesting, but not proven, is that some groups have speculated a historical religious significance to this 7 years as tribulation.

What we should see if we make it to the totality areas is a starry sky with a glowing coronal ring around the moon and the look of sunrise in all directions. Worth the drive for us unless something better comes along.

Bill

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
London, I'm afraid, this time.

Did it in 1979, though. Flew from San Diego to Portland, landing in a crashing rainstorm. Drove to The Dalles, OR in the rain. Went to bed; motels didn't triple their rates for this one. Woke up early -- mostly cloudy but the rain had stopped. Drove to Goldendale. The sun sailed into a clear patch just before totality. It was amazing. The air got perceptibly cooler. The sky got darker, but not night-like. The cows headed for the barn! Wish I could do it again.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I listened to an interesting podcast a few weeks ago that helped explain to me all the hype. https://gimletmedia.com/episode/rapture-chasers/

Historically, there have been many happenings associated with solar eclipses. Some of the interesting thoughts for me anyway were the ones where societies thought a dragon or serpent was eating the sun. Another would be Louis the Pious, King Charlemagne's son who freaked out to death because he thought God was punishing during an eclipse.

If you liked that podcast you might like the Fatima story which actually concludes tomorrow in Fatima. May 13, 2017 marks the 100 year ago appearance dealio and the beginning or end of something. I bet it would be hard to get a room in Fatima right now.

Bill

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isisdave, I lived in Salem Oregon in 1979 and everyone at work went outside to experience. I remember the darkening, the birds stopped sing, no cows close.

We'll experience again this year. I've read 25 million live in path of full eclipse and 12 million more will come. Highways will be packed.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Have booked flights from east coast to Lincoln Nebraska to be with daughters family. Where they live it is projected to have about 1 min 20 seconds of totality. Went through one in the Carolina's I believe in April of 1970. Was a very interesting experience, temperature dropped, birds quit chirping, street lights came on and a real hush came over the area. Then just like that it was back to normal.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have experience the total eclipse once in Toronto in the early 1990s. It was strange, it was dark enough that all the night lights came on in the middle of the eclipse.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/canada/toronto?iso=19940510
That was actually an annular eclipse and not really a total eclipse. It was otherwise known as the ring of fire. This is because the moon is further away from the earth during the eclipse meaning that the moon does not totally block the ring of the sun. I remember viewing this also. I don't recall it getting overly dark, but I was out in the country so there were no lights that would have turned on with the darkness.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be trailer camping with friends in the totality zone in Idaho. This was planned over a year and a half ago.

I have a family reunion coming up and now wish I had thought ahead (like 2 years) to having it during this event--bet attendance would be even better.

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We'll be in Jefferson City, Missouri, 2 min. 30 seconds of totality. We could get 9 seconds more by relocating to Columbia. Now, we just have to hope for good weather. It occurs a little after 1:00 pm there, so we should have no obstruction from things on the ground, but clouds, of course, are another matter.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Timeshare Von, I'd be concerned about slow traffic if traveling any distance. I think people will be lining the highways and traffic to get to a viewing spot will be heavy. I know that in St. Joe, Missouri, you can get a ticket for the airport parking lot, and in Jefferson City, Missouri, there are parks that will be set aside for viewing. Columbia has the campus area to use plus parks.