TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Total Eclipse of the Sun across the USA August 21, 2017! Where will you be?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by billymach4, May 6, 2017.

1. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    Thanks for the suggestion Pat. I'll be doing my game plan and making the most of it. If I don't get into an area of total eclipse of the weather is crummy, I've got other things to see and do. I realize it is probably less than a 50/50 crap shoot on whether or not I'll get to actually experience it. My expectations are set rather low, hoping for the best.

2. PStreet1

PStreet1 TUG Lifetime Member

I'm starting to send good vibes for Missouri weather.

Timeshare Von likes this.
  3. Htoo0

Htoo0 TUG Member

Apparently in the dark. :)

4. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We have a reservation in Columbia,MO. I have family in a small town of Mexico, MO and Harrisonville MO. if the weather looks unfavorable I could cancel our reservation and head north to Geneva, NE.

5. PStreet1

We've changed plans. Royal Caribbean altered the course for Oasis of the Seas in order to be in position for the eclipse, so we've booked the week of Aug 20 on the Oasis. At least, the captain should be able to position us somewhere without clouds.

6. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Sitting around the pool at Marriott OceanWatch.

7. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  8. PStreet1

We haven't cancelled our hotel reservation for Jefferson City, Missouri, yet even though we're going to be viewing from a ship now. Rooms along the eclipse path are almost non-existant and very expensive now. If anyone would like to see if our reservation (Baymont Inn, about $100 a night) could be transferred, let me know.

9. colatown

colatown Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC
    I'll be right here don't have to leave town .

10. Timeshare Von

Timeshare Von TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
    Lifetime in Hawaii (floating 1-52 annual week)
    My plans have been changed due to work commitments . . . I'll be staying in Milwaukee, where there will be very little eclipsing.

11. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I've pretty much made the command decision to stay home. Crowds are expected to be insane just N. of here in the area of totality, but we'll have 97%. I'll settle for that, barring an invite.

12. PStreet1

Sorry about the work commitment.

13. suzanne

suzanne Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I will be packing for my trip to Hawaii.
    Suzanne
    :cheer:

14. schenriq

schenriq TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WEEKS in: Kauai(OF), Yellowstone, Scottsdale, MyrtleBeach
    We'll be @Timbers at Island Park, ID that week (thank you Trading Places Intl!) but I'm planning to drive south to Rexburg. Hopefully, it won't be that congested.

15. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    A Total Eclipse Will Sweep the U.S. in August, and People Are Going Nuts For It
    By Laurel Wamsley/ The Two-Way:Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"On Monday, Aug. 21, a solar eclipse will be visible across America. The last time the contiguous United States saw a total eclipse was 1979, and it will be the first coast-to-coast solar eclipse in 99 years, reports The Associated Press.

A partial eclipse will be visible throughout the United States, according to NASA. But within a band that the agency is calling the "path of totality" stretching from Oregon to South Carolina, viewers will witness a total eclipse. And in many of those places, an eclipse industry is already booming.

The mayor of Hopkinsville, Ky., says his town has spent more than half a million dollars preparing for the event since learning 10 years ago that the area would be in the path of totality.

The town even has an eclipse coordinator.

"It'll look like twilight outside. You'll be able to see stars. Four planets will be visible — Venus, Jupiter, Mars and Mercury. You'll notice the temperature drop about 5 to 10 degrees," the coordinator, Brooke Jung, told the AP. "You'll notice that animals will get a little disoriented. Birds will think that it's nighttime and go in to roost. Some of the flowers and plants that close up at night will close up."

"If it's cloudy, then we'll just have to deal with that reality as best we can and help people get to other locations," Mayor Carter Hendricks told the AP. "But, if somehow we overprepare and we're underwhelmed by the crowd size, that's a big concern for me."...."

[​IMG]
    A June ad for campsites in the small town of Madras, Ore., anticipates the influx of tourists expected in the prime viewing location for the Aug. 21 total solar eclipse.

Gillian Flaccus/AP

Richard

16. Suzy

Suzy TUG Member

17. PStreet1

We'll be on the Oasis of the Seas which will be heading to the point of maximum viewing for the event-----hoping hurricanes don't mess with us.

18. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    That will be a neat trick that the captain does with the ship, since the point of maximum viewing / center point of the eclipse is in the SE corner of Nebraska! :D

Although you probably won't have to worry about hurricanes there...

Kurt

19. PStreet1

We definitely won't be at maximum (when I typed "maximum" I meant, but didn't say, "maximum point for the area where we are), but we will be in the total eclipse path. We were originally at Jefferson City, Missouri, and that's quite close to what our map says is the maximum, which occurs at Columbia, Missouri (2 minutes 41 seconds). Mid Nebraska is 2 minutes 39 seconds. Off the coast appears to be between 2 minutes 20 seconds and 2 minutes 30 seconds, about the same as Idaho Falls.

I'm assuming that the 10-11 seconds won't make a significant difference in the experience, and I know the experience will be different at sea than it is on land--on the other hand, we won't be driving.

20. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    It should be fun seeing it from the ship. I would think being on a boat you will have a better chance than most to be cloud-free, since the captain can maneuver to a clear spot if necessary. Sounds like a fun trip!

Kurt

21. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

Not to rain on the parade, but according to NASA, "Roughly 67 percent of the sky over water is cloudy, and more than half of that area is densely overcast. Just about half of the total land area is usually covered with clouds and only 15 percent is thickly blanketed."

Not good odds for an ocean-based viewing (book for the cruise, think of the eclipse as a possible bonus); I hope the cruisers beat the odds. It is a convenient marketing plan for the cruise, but I will bet on being the captain of my car, and sending it in the direction of the best odds for viewing the National Eclipse based on the latest possible forecast from the National Weather Service.

22. PStreet1

Yes, I'm hoping we didn't blunder by giving up the Jefferson City location we had. I feel sure the captain will try his best to get the ship to a good spot. I'm thinking positive thoughts; it's paid for so might as well.