• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfer a timeshare without a transfer company

ascantu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember reading that there was a person that would create the necessary documents for a fee that the seller/buyer sent to have them recorded. His fee was a lot less than what the closing/transfer companies charge.

Did I dream this? I've got a buyer for a timeshare buy doesn't want to pay the high fees. I don't either.

Thanks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do it yourself. Just draw up a sales agreement, then copy the legal description of the property, changing the names of Grantor and Grantee and send them to the county (call for fee) for registration. When those come back, send them to the resort (with whatever fee they want) and it's a done deal. Or search TUG for low cost professional transfer (about $150 iirc). Full disclosure: My DW has done our transfers, but she's an attorney, so I guess 6 years of college and Law School was worth something.

I guess some people don't like to pay dentists. Funny thing, stay away from them long enough and you don't need them either.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
I have used LT transfers. Could I do it myself? Probably. But, why would I? I would rather pay a hundred or so to someone that does thousands and thousands of these. Go with folks that do this for a living. It is dirt cheap and hassle free.

epcmart

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bought my TS from another tugger for $1, we did it ourselves. I got the estoppel from the Resort, Drew up an agreement and sent in the deed transfer form to the county ourselves. Once transfer completed, notified the Resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bought my TS from another tugger for $1, we did it ourselves. I got the estoppel from the Resort, Drew up an agreement and sent in the deed transfer form to the county ourselves. Once transfer completed, notified the Resort.

I handled 3 sales/transfers myself. In each case we skipped the estoppel and agreement steps. I created the Deed as suggested in a prior post, signed it, recorded it and sent copies of the recorded deed to the acquirer and to the Resort. Went smooth as silk.

George

WackyLucy

Reaction score
Templating an existing deed with new names for a new deed is certainly not rocket science, but what dollar value do you place on your time?

For $150, I'm entirely willing to have LT Transfers correctly prepare a new deed, get it officially recorded, notify resort with copy of new recorded deed, provide copies of recorded new deed to buyer and seller. I would certainly never consider "skipping" a formal purchase and sale agreement, nor would I "skip" obtaining a current estoppel in the transaction process, but that's a personal choice that people are certainly free to make --- at their own risk.

I would also point out that Florida law (as revised several years ago now) provides a 10 day rescission period, even for timeshare resales. A seller failing to provide formal notification of that FL law and fact to their buyer for a FL timeshare transaction automatically (by statute) changes that 10 day rescission period into one full year instead; an egregious yet easily avoidable error of omission. I will personally choose to leave all that to the pros.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
.....For $150, I'm entirely willing to have LT Transfers correctly prepare a new deed, get it officially recorded, notify resort with copy of new recorded deed, provide copies of recorded new deed to buyer and seller. I would certainly never consider "skipping" a formal purchase and sale agreement, nor would I "skip" obtaining a current estoppel in the transaction process, but that's a personal choice that people are certainly free to make --- at their own risk......

Agreed. And, it is more than drafting up the deed. You get a second set of eyes (eyes that have done this thousands of times) looking at the documents. Easily worth the money for me to have an experienced paralegal do a document for this cheap price. But, each person can decide for themselves.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just the money that is saved. It saves quite a bit of time. I have done transfers of units that I own about 5 or six times. I can get them done always in 30 days or less, start to finish. I often wait 3 months for other sellers to transfer units to me when I buy them on ebay. I also notice a lot of mistakes on deeds that I receive that is indicative of sloppy or careless work. Many times I received an email version of the deed for approval when I buy. I just save that and use it when I go to sell, changing the names, notarizing it and sending to the county recorder with the recording fees.