• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transportation in Nola

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be visiting NOLA for a week in February. We aren't renting a car. What is the best way to get from MSY to the Quarter House. We will be arriving around noon. What is the best way to get around in the city. We can walk and get around easily. I'm thinking I would like to get a trolley pass or something similar. We have never been to NOLA before so any information will be appreciated.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Streetcar (as in a Streetcar named Desire" (its not called a trolley) is the best way Ive found to get around town. $3 a day and ride all day. Im not sure what a week pass costs or even if one is available

The historic Saint Charles line is an event in itself. to see all the Garden District homes

From the airport to the Quarter House, I cant help, but I understand cabs are cheap

The folks at the Quarter House are very helpful, call ahead to ask, I bet they will have a good suggestion

hjtug

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Quarter House one year ago. We took a cab from the airport since it was direct and cheaper for two than the shuttle . Having Quarter House order a cab for us on our return to the airport was no problem.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we stayed at the Avenue Plaza 15 months ago we took taxis to and from the Airport. In town we relied upon our feet and the Street Cars. Each morning we would buy an all day pass.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
A cab is the best way from MSY-Quarter house. The cabs are right outside the airport it will take about 30 minutes barring any accidents. The shuttle stops at various hotels alone the way and may take over an hour. The prices are similiar!

I find the best music to be on Frenchman Street if that interests you!

What are your interests?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Streetcar (as in a Streetcar named Desire" (its not called a trolley) is the best way Ive found to get around town. $3 a day and ride all day. Im not sure what a week pass costs or even if one is available

The historic Saint Charles line is an event in itself. to see all the Garden District homes

From the airport to the Quarter House, I cant help, but I understand cabs are cheap

The folks at the Quarter House are very helpful, call ahead to ask, I bet they will have a good suggestion

The week pass is $21, so no price break. It's easier to pay each day directly to the driver in case some days are not needed.

The street car $3 pass is also good on any of the buses. It is valid for any RTA transportation. So you can buy that same pass type from a bus ride or vice versa.

Last edited:

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. We are very excited. I love all kinds of music except some rap and really heavy metal music. We will be gong with our grandson and his girffriend so it will be 2 60 year olds and 2 22 year olds. All of us love music. We are planning to see the WWII museum but other than that havent made any plans. Is there anything that anyone particularly enjoyed.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please be very careful. We have lived in this area for 30+years. The crime has skyrocketed in recent years, much of which is not reported in the national news. Many of us 'locals' rarely venture into the quarter at night anymore. If you do, stay in well lit and travelled areas.

Thanks for all the information. We are very excited. I love all kinds of music except some rap and really heavy metal music. We will be gong with our grandson and his girffriend so it will be 2 60 year olds and 2 22 year olds. All of us love music. We are planning to see the WWII museum but other than that havent made any plans. Is there anything that anyone particularly enjoyed.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
The week pass is $21, so no price break. It's easier to pay each day directly to the driver in case some days are not needed.

The street car $3 pass is also good on any of the buses. It is valid for any RTA transportation. So you can buy that same pass type from a bus ride or vice versa.

Do you have to pay in cash? I'm trying to determine how much cash I need to bring with me when I leave this week for NOLA?

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reduced senior fare for ppl > 65

Only 40cents per ride for those showing adequate proof of age.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
:::sigh::: Looks like you just don't know how to use Google. So, anyway, I did it for you. Bus fares are payable in cash only. For convenience you can buy a "Jazzy Pass" for one, three, or five days (or more) from Walgreens or a ticket machine. There is one such machine at Canal and Bourbon at the RTA Shelter. You can find a list of such places here.

Fern

Do you have to pay in cash? I'm trying to determine how much cash I need to bring with me when I leave this week for NOLA?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fern,

I have been having internet outages and for some reason, today when I have tried to use google. It freezes my computer, plus my mac has the dreaded pink screen... I have been able to get on TUG and thought I would see if anyone knew the answer but next time I will know to just wait till my internet comes back on line.

Thank you.

:::sigh::: Looks like you just don't know how to use Google. So, anyway, I did it for you. Bus fares are payable in cash only. For convenience you can buy a "Jazzy Pass" for one, three, or five days (or more) from Walgreens or a ticket machine. There is one such machine at Canal and Bourbon at the RTA Shelter. You can find a list of such places here.

Fern

SusanRN

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
getting around NOLA and to airport

I and a friend were in NOLA the last week of December (2015). We used Uber all over town for quick transportation and also to go to MSY. There were always lots of options in the Quarter and Frenchmen areas. The only downside is minimum fare is ca.$5.75 inclusive. I had never used Uber before, but had been a passenger. If you get a referral from a current user, first fare is free up to $15. Note: I am early 60's, so this was a stretch for me!
Susan

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We are in NOLA now. We are staying at a friends house, dog sitting and they let us use their car. We rode the streetcar just for fun and it was cash only but you can buy a day pass right there on the streetcar. This was basically the only situation so far where we needed cash only. I paid with credit card for most other things. Oh we did take a cab from the airport and paid in cash for that.

As far as things to do I would suggest:
Shopping/window shopping along Magazine street
Visiting local bars (not touristy ones)
French market
Watch street performers and artists
Swamp tour (unless you live in an area that has swamps and wetlands or you've seen it before)
If my family would do it with me, a bike tour of the city

Also you should know that flashing is for tourists it's not really a thing

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The St. Charles Streetcar is a must. Get out in the Garden District and look at the beautiful mansions. Or wander around Audobon Park (it's on the streetcar line - but the zoo is pretty far from the streetcar).

If you want to see one of their beautiful cemeteries the ones in Metairie are much safer than the Garden District or FQ and have better statues IMHO.

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was $36 one way for a taxi to QH over MLK weekend.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's posted on the taxis: $36 to or from the airport for 1-2 people, 3 or more people is $15 per person.

My family of 3 (2 adults, one child) paid $45 plus tip each way.

All the seat belts worked and the drivers were friendly and helped with luggage (different from my previous trips).

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since you were just there, can you recommend some restaurants and other things you did besides shopping. (Hate to shop!). We are heading there March 12 for a week. We have been twice before. This time we are driving. We are trying to figure out where to long term park. We will also be able to take day trips by car if there is somewhere interesting to go to.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Since you were just there, can you recommend some restaurants and other things you did besides shopping. (Hate to shop!). We are heading there March 12 for a week. We have been twice before. This time we are driving. We are trying to figure out where to long term park. We will also be able to take day trips by car if there is somewhere interesting to go to.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We eat a bit differently than most people will eat when they're in NOLA. Also, my husband grew up there so he's completely anti-touristy stuff. Not sure that you'd enjoy the food we did.

We really loved Seed (Lower Garden District) and ate there 3 times in 8 days. The entire menu is plant-based. They were very nice and the food came out pretty quickly. A little on the pricey side for the area but we loved it. The artichoke cakes were the best! http://seedyourhealth.com/

We enjoyed Bennachin (French Quarter). It's an African restaurant. A lot of New Orleans cuisine has African roots. I loved the black eyed peas and my husband loved the peanut stew. http://www.bennachinrestaurant.com/

Mid City Pizza was really good. (located in Mid City obviously). They have a special red beans and rice pizza! Has to be one of the most interesting pizzas I've ever had. It's only available on Mondays (that's the day New Orleanians eat red beans and rice). http://www.midcitypizza.com/

We ate at The Sneaky Pickle (9th Ward - NOT lower 9th ward) and I really liked my meal. The place is totally hipster though so the vibe might annoy you like it did me... or not. http://yousneakypickle.com/