• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UBER Questions From First Time User

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just prescheduled UBER pickup for my upcoming trip to Florida. I entered Wed. April 5th between 4:00-4:15 AM going to airport from my home. I got the confirming email that my ride was scheduled for the correct day but the time was an hour earlier than I had requested for pickup time. It said between 3:00-3:15 AM. I went back into my trip and it shows the correct date and time that I entered. Can anyone who uses UBER help me understand this. This is my first time using UBER.

Thanks,
Suzanne

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used Uber so I am just guessing but is there any chance your phone is on Central Time and when you plugged in 4 AM it was converted to 3 AM which would be Florida time/

George

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never used Uber so I am just guessing but is there any chance your phone is on Central Time and when you plugged in 4 AM it was converted to 3 AM which would be Florida time/

George
Thanks George for your reply. Phone is set for correct time here in Vegas.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Could it be a daylight savings time issue? Or perhaps that the email is based on Pacific time (where Uber servers are located) and you are in Mountain time? Kind of like the annoying thing of when eBay auctions would end. They were always listed as Pacific Time. Just guesses here, hopefully someone can confirm for you.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I have used uber a several times but never pre-scheduled. I can see why you want to pre-schedule due to its time. Always they have been there to get me within 5 minutes. I would think in Vegas you would also have quick access without pre-scheduling. Is there any way to contact/call them?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Use Uber a lot and never prescheduled any pickup but also never tried that early.

If it were me, I'd cancel and try again now that DST is in effect.

Cheers

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use Uber a lot and never prescheduled any pickup but also never tried that early.

If it were me, I'd cancel and try again now that DST is in effect.

Cheers

It this doesn't work, try setting your phone for Eastern time and then reschedule.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have used Uber quite frequently, but never pre-scheduled. Did not even know that was possible. As others mentioned, i would try canceling and rebooking it.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I have used Uber quite frequently, but never pre-scheduled. Did not even know that was possible. As others mentioned, i would try canceling and rebooking it.
I didn't know either it was possible to preschedule a ride on Uber.

For more info see: https://help.uber.com/h/63165ec1-0910-409e-972f-0b8d8df1a605

However, my Android Uber App does not have the icon to press to preschedule a ride. So at the moment I still can't do it.

Richard

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know either it was possible to preschedule a ride on Uber.

For more info see: https://help.uber.com/h/63165ec1-0910-409e-972f-0b8d8df1a605

However, my Android Uber App does not have the icon to press to preschedule a ride. So at the moment I still can't do it.

Richard
When you tap UBER App on your Android Phone, then tap the car icon. That lets you preschedule pickup if its available in your city/town. Its fairly new and is not available for airport pickups. I also have an Android Phone.

Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used uber a several times but never pre-scheduled. I can see why you want to pre-schedule due to its time. Always they have been there to get me within 5 minutes. I would think in Vegas you would also have quick access without pre-scheduling. Is there any way to contact/call them?

I did contact them via email. They responded very quickly apparently the earlier time is when they start trying to locate a driver for your trip. They continue up until the end of your 15 minute pickup window that you gave. They also say that a ride is not guaranteed. Which concerns me since I have a very early flight. But I tried to make the pickup early enough that if they don't find a driver I can still try to get a taxi and have time to make my 6:30 AM flight. If I absolutely have to resort to long term parking at the airport I will have time to drive there but the cost is $16.00 a day for long term parking, for my two week trip that's $224.00 plus tax. While UBER is $16-$18 each way. I am about 8 miles from the airport. Taxi will be between $25 to $35 each way.

Suzanne

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If it were me, I get a taxi as a sure thing. $20-$40 more for a certain ride is small change in a two week trip.:cool:

Cheers

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I did contact them via email. They responded very quickly apparently the earlier time is when they start trying to locate a driver for your trip.

That's great you learned why this happened.
I live in Vegas and have used Uber a few times, mostly for the airport. It has worked great for me. Half the price of a cab.

perhaps that the email is based on Pacific time (where Uber servers are located) and you are in Mountain time?
Just FYI for anyone reading, Vegas is on Pacific Time.

I would think in Vegas you would also have quick access without pre-scheduling.
My experience has been very good with Uber here in Vegas. But then, I haven't taken any early morning flights. I'm guessing she will have no problem pre-scheduling or doing it last minute. Either way will probably work out just fine.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
When you tap UBER App on your Android Phone, then tap the car icon. That lets you preschedule pickup if its available in your city/town. Its fairly new and is not available for airport pickups. I also have an Android Phone.

Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,

Unfortunately, the car icon does not not come up for me. It might be that pre-scheduling is not available in our area.

Richard

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I have fingers crossed that UBER finds a driver for such an early trip. If I lived closer to the Strip it might not be as difficult to get a driver, however I live east of the Strip past Boulder Highway. I have written down the phone numbers of 3 taxi companies just in case. $20-$40 for ride to the airport is a lot better than $224. for long term parking. Add that to all the ongoing road construction everywhere and a taxi is still a blessing if I can't get an UBER driver.

Suzanne

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found that if you pre-schedule a trip to the airport, even in the early morning, they find a driver for you. Uber drivers really seem to like airport trips bc the fares are better.

A few months ago I had to leave for Newark airport at 4:15 in the morning. I hadn't pre-scheduled! I did get a driver after about 10 panicky minutes. The guy who came said he had just left a fare at LaGuardia.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW Uber agreed to a pickup at LGA as we had just arrived. Driver canceled on us upon pickup. What a mess. I want to like Uber but this is not a good way to start.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW Uber agreed to a pickup at LGA as we had just arrived. Driver canceled on us upon pickup. What a mess. I want to like Uber but this is not a good way to start.

If you write to Uber and complain, they will give you a credit toward your next ride. It's not much, but it's something.

You mean the driver accepted the fare and then canceled? And then they didn't find you another driver?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What does "Driver canceled on us upon pickup" mean?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a detailed story. I will write it up later. Sorry for the suspense, quite busy now.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did as many of you suggested and cancelled the pre booked trip. I will try to get Uber ride day of my flite. If they can't get a driver for my early flight, I have 3 local taxi company numbers written down to call them for a ride. I plan to contact Uber early enough so that if they don't have a driver within a 15 minute window, I still have time to get a taxi for my trip.

I appreciate every ones help on this. It is sorta scary for such an early flite and using Uber for the first time. I did try the Super Shuttle as some one suggested, their online website was so messed up, it billed my credit card 4 times for the one trip, then cancelled it all out and credited my card back. Plus I got a call from my card's Fraud Department because of the charges. It was a real mess. Which took me to Uber or a taxi. Wish me luck.

Suzanne

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I did as many of you suggested and cancelled the pre booked trip. I will try to get Uber ride day of my flite. If they can't get a driver for my early flight, I have 3 local taxi company numbers written down to call them for a ride. I plan to contact Uber early enough so that if they don't have a driver within a 15 minute window, I still have time to get a taxi for my trip.

I appreciate every ones help on this. It is sorta scary for such an early flite and using Uber for the first time. I did try the Super Shuttle as some one suggested, their online website was so messed up, it billed my credit card 4 times for the one trip, then cancelled it all out and credited my card back. Plus I got a call from my card's Fraud Department because of the charges. It was a real mess. Which took me to Uber or a taxi. Wish me luck.

Suzanne
Based on my experience, I expect it will go smoothly.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does "Driver canceled on us upon pickup" mean?

DW orders UBER to pick us up at arrivals almost midnight. We have luggage and location. Price $31 8 minutes away. Less than one minute later Driver calls and confirms location for pickup and status is one minute away. Car is a black Toyota Camry.

• Less than a minute again I see a black Toyota Camry and wave. Driver acknowledges and we confirm he is UBER and he confirms DW first name.
  • DW gets message as driver is loading luggage that the trip was canceled and tells the driver. He said let me check when we get in the car.
  • He looks as said no I have the trip no problem.
  • We start to leave the arrivals area and DW asks if has the address and how to get to our home.
  • Directions indicate he is going to Brooklyn. We said no we live in Queens.
  • Driver then realizes that he picked up the wrong passenger. He calls his original passenger. She was willing to cancel. Driver said no just wait I will be right there. Where are you again. Original passenger said I am at the Departure area. He was frustrated and said " I was looking for you at arrivals. I picked up another passenger with the same first name. "
  • I said wait a minute you have us already why can't you just take us. No sir I will get bad review from my original passenger.
  • Driver takes us around to arrivals again to unload us and our baggage.
  • DW looks to get another UBER. Now prices are over $50 for the same trip. Like "WTF" is going on here. This is a load of BS. We are tired and just want to go home.
  • Here we are left holding our bags, got kicked out of UBER car.
  • There is no number to call. No dispatcher to call. Nobody to complain.
  • UBER does not have a customer service number.
  • You just have to give them feedback about the situation. They assured us we would not be charged any cancellation fees.

Up to now UBER has not offered any compensation for our aggravation. UBER has taken the Human Customer Service out of the transaction for this type of situation. It's an example of an automated transaction gone wrong with no resolution.

Like I said I want to like UBER, but they are not off to a good start in my experience.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
DW orders UBER to pick us up at arrivals almost midnight. We have luggage and location. Price $31 8 minutes away. Less than one minute later Driver calls and confirms location for pickup and status is one minute away. Car is a black Toyota Camry.

• Less than a minute again I see a black Toyota Camry and wave. Driver acknowledges and we confirm he is UBER and he confirms DW first name.
  • DW gets message as driver is loading luggage that the trip was canceled and tells the driver. He said let me check when we get in the car.
  • He looks as said no I have the trip no problem.
  • We start to leave the arrivals area and DW asks if has the address and how to get to our home.
  • Directions indicate he is going to Brooklyn. We said no we live in Queens.
  • Driver then realizes that he picked up the wrong passenger. He calls his original passenger. She was willing to cancel. Driver said no just wait I will be right there. Where are you again. Original passenger said I am at the Departure area. He was frustrated and said " I was looking for you at arrivals. I picked up another passenger with the same first name. "
  • I said wait a minute you have us already why can't you just take us. No sir I will get bad review from my original passenger.
  • Driver takes us around to arrivals again to unload us and our baggage.
  • DW looks to get another UBER. Now prices are over $50 for the same trip. Like "WTF" is going on here. This is a load of BS. We are tired and just want to go home.
  • Here we are left holding our bags, got kicked out of UBER car.
  • There is no number to call. No dispatcher to call. Nobody to complain.
  • UBER does not have a customer service number.
  • You just have to give them feedback about the situation. They assured us we would not be charged any cancellation fees.
Up to now UBER has not offered any compensation for our aggravation. UBER has taken the Human Customer Service out of the transaction for this type of situation. It's an example of an automated transaction gone wrong with no resolution.

Like I said I want to like UBER, but they are not off to a good start in my experience.
That's unfortunate. Sounds like drive realized surge pricing kicked in, and decided to take that trip. You definitely need to follow up with Uber. Here's a tip: always confirm the license plate on the car before you get in.

Did you get another uber?