• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use year question

travelinmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Wilderness Lodge (now Boulder Ridge) and I am thinking of buying BC resale. Other than when my points become available, does the use year have any impact on making reservations or using my points? We currently have a Dec use year. Should I only look at buying Dec use years? I tried searching this forum to find information on use year and what it impacts, but I couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this was already covered somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two contracts, titled the same and same use year. Both contracts are visible under one login and work seemlessly together at the seven month mark. Since they are different resorts, we can only use the points from each contract individually between 7 and 11 months. They also both share the same banking deadline. At seven months, we can make one reservation using both contracts if we need to do so (for instance if the point cost is more than we have in one contract). You would not be able to do that if they are different use years. You would need to make separate reservations and have member services link them. When we purchased our second contract we specifically looked for December only, so the contracts would work together and share banking deadlines. Use year has an effect on your cancellations, if you cancel or vacation after the banking deadline it can make it possible to lose points. With proper planning, one can make any use year work, I would think.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
For you own convenience you should buy the same use year.

As mentioned the banking deadline is the same and if the use year aren't the same you can't combine the points for a reservation at the 7 months mark.

There are however two advantages for different use years:
1. You get to have 2 wait lists per use year
2. You get to make 1 in/out bound transfer per use year.

But nonetheless I would still opt for the same use year.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
If the December UY works for you I would buy a December UY. We have 2 UY because the first one the UY wasn't an ideal match for us.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than when my points become available, does the use year have any impact on making reservations or using my points? We currently have a Dec use year.

UY has nothing to do with when you can call or go online to book. Your pts are available to use when you are 11 months out for your home resort or 7 months out for other DVC resorts.

(You start by looking at the dates of your stay and then looking at which UY (not calendar year) that those dates fall into - if you have a Dec UY, then a July 14, 2017 stay falls into your 2016 UY (which runs from Dec 1, 2016 to Nov 30, 2017) - which tells you that you can use current 2016 pts when you book the stay in Aug 2016 + banked pts from the previous (2015) UY, if any + borrowed pts from your 2017 UY if needed. It makes no difference that when you call or go online in Aug 2016 to book the stay, that you are still in your 2015 UY.)

UY is mostly an issue if you need to cancel a reservation. Ideally, you never want to travel in the last 3 months of your UY...so with a Dec UY, you would be putting Sept/Oct/Nov stays at extra risk if you needed to cancel them after your banking window has already closed (i.e. after July 31 of the next calendar year for a Dec UY).

So if you preferred to travel in Sept/Oct/November, then it might not be a bad idea to pick up a different UY to cover those trips.

But for most people, it's a lot more simple to stick with one UY for all contracts...

Last edited:

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
If you need to combine your points for a single stay, you wouldn't be able to book a night with combined points without transferring with two different UYs. You could book some nights with one contract and some nights with the other if they were different UY. But you would have to check out and check in again. With two different contracts (meaning two different UYs), they cannot combine two reservations into one. You cannot borrow transferred points, but you can bank them. You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am with everyone here - I would keep the same UY. So much simpler in the long run. Good luck!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My thinking is this.
1. Buy where you want to stay
2. If you're buying multiple resorts make sure the use years are the same
3. Combine points at 7 months if you want
4. Use resort priority 11-7 months
5. Enjoy yourself!

M&M

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. We had two separate UYs, but sold one contract and bought another with the same use year. We like having the same UY better.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have a different UY b/c same was not available for 2nd small purchase (at HHI to get 11 mth advantage) . We usually make reservations at 11 mths out, so it really doesn't matter. But, you cannot combine unless you transfer in. So, sometimes, we have an odd number of points left over and lose a few. If your UY is available, then get the same, as you have more options. But if you are buying a different resort and plan to use 11 mth booking, it doesn't matter that much.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Keep the same use year for simplicity. Otherwise you will have two membership numbers.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Hilton Head and Vero Beach may prove the exception but to me owning in the same use year is my only option. I just can't keep track of more than one use year and more than one contract.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
and if the use year aren't the same you can't combine the points for a reservation at the 7 months mark.

What month your use year is has nothing at all to do with booking windows. All use years have the same 7 & 11 month booking windows. The important thing is how many months away is the date you are hoping to book?

UY has nothing to do with when you can call or go online to book. Your pts are available to use when you are 11 months out for your home resort or 7 months out for other DVC resorts.
UY is mostly an issue if you need to cancel a reservation. Ideally, you never want to travel in the last 3 months of your UY...so with a Dec UY, you would be putting Sept/Oct/Nov stays at extra risk if you needed to cancel them after your banking window has already closed (i.e. after July 31 of the next calendar year for a Dec UY).

So if you preferred to travel in Sept/Oct/November, then it might not be a bad idea to pick up a different UY to cover those trips.

But for most people, it's a lot more simple to stick with one UY for all contracts...

Well said, chalee94! :clap:

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
But you would have to check out and check in again.

If you have some nights booked on one membership & some on another, simply ask Member Services to "link" the reservations so that the resort ops team will see it as one continuous rez. Btw, this only works if the room category is identical. In this scenario I would also give the resort a call a week out to make certain they know that you have 2 reservations for one continuous stay.

It is technically correct that you would have to make a stop at FD to get new room keys between reservations, but if you follow the steps I've outlined above, you should have no reason to literally check out of your room and back into another. Again, this is dependent on both reservations being for the exact same room type. I've done this many times over the years. And in this case, I have never had to move.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
One agent told me having a second contract with a usage year 4-8 months apart gives the most flexibility because even if your banking deadline has passed, you can transfer the points to the other membership number. So you don't lose points. I guess another advantage of two membership ids is that you could rent up to 24 points on each membership ID if you need extra points.

A possible disadvantage could be that because you are only allowed one transfer in per year, if you have already used it to combine points for a reservation, then you may not be able to transfer points in again if you are at risk of losing them. So you might be better off banking and borrowing on each account and then transferring unused points that you might lose if you end up canceling a reservation after the banking period has ended.

I guess it comes down to a trade off between ease of use with one membership under one use year vs extra flexibility with 2 use years.

Does anyone else have see any other advantages of having two different use years? I am buying my first small 100 point contract with an April use year and tying to decide of I should do my second contract, which will be larger, with the same use year or a different use year. I want two contracts because I need two different home resorts for the 11 month booking window since I am purchasing high demand clubs.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
One agent told me having a second contract with a usage year 4-8 months apart gives the most flexibility because even if your banking deadline has passed, you can transfer the points to the other membership number. So you don't lose points.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that this is true. Your transferred pts would maintain the same UY and expire at the same time (I.e. if you transfer them to a contract with a different UY, they don't change to track with the new UY any more than they change to pick up the alternate home resort priority.)

I guess another advantage of two membership ids is that you could rent up to 24 points on each membership ID if you need extra points.

Does anyone else have see any other advantages of having two different use years? I am buying my first small 100 point contract with an April use year and tying to decide of I should do my second contract, which will be larger, with the same use year or a different use year. I want two contracts because I need two different home resorts for the 11 month booking window since I am purchasing high demand clubs.

It is less risky to travel early in your UY, so having 2 UYs can be better if you use the contracts separately to travel at different times of year. But if you are planning to use the contracts together, there is more of a risk of failing to keep track of both banking deadlines than anything else...

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that this is true. Your transferred pts would maintain the same UY and expire at the same time (I.e. if you transfer them to a contract with a different UY, they don't change to track with the new UY any more than they change to pick up the alternate home resort priority.)

It is less risky to travel early in your UY, so having 2 UYs can be better if you use the contracts separately to travel at different times of year. But if you are planning to use the contracts together, there is more of a risk of failing to keep track of both banking deadlines than anything else...

Thank you, this is helpful. I bought two DVC contracts with two different home resorts for the 11-month booking window at each resort with the same use year. That seemed to make the most sense for simplicity to have all the points under one membership ID.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, this is helpful. I bought two DVC contracts with two different home resorts for the 11-month booking window at each resort with the same use year. That seemed to make the most sense for simplicity to have all the points under one membership ID.
That is best for most people. The exceptions are for full sized contracts where one of the specific situations offers a distinct advantage like multiple transfers, multiple wait lists and/or to target specific trips early in a given UY as Charles was referencing. Generally new buyers should buy them all together or at leasts buy one and use the system a couple of years before adding a different UY. It is less of a difference for different home resorts though.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is best for most people. The exceptions are for full sized contracts where one of the specific situations offers a distinct advantage like multiple transfers, multiple wait lists and/or to target specific trips early in a given UY as Charles was referencing. Generally new buyers should buy them all together or at leasts buy one and use the system a couple of years before adding a different UY. It is less of a difference for different home resorts though.

I am going to use DVC mostly for Aulani to add days when we go to our Marriott Ko Olina EOY and to take the kids to Disneyland in Anaheim while they are still little. I like to stay in 1 bedrooms so I will use up my points more quickly than most people. I will probably need to bank and borrow since I bought 100 VGC and 200 Aulani with April use year. I think that is a good start and I hope it will be enough for us long term with banking and borrowing. We will occasionally make some Orlando trips while the kids are young. I think we will keep Aulani long term since we like Hawaii. If we become Disney fanatics like many people, maybe we will remain members longer term, who knows? Keep it for the grandkids. I am in escrow to buy both contracts on the resale market. Once they pass ROFR and I get our Disney membership ID, we will be eligible to buy some Disney add-on points if we want to be eligible for full Disney benefits. After all the money we have spent on the two contracts, it is a minimal amount to buy 25-35 points as an add-on to gain a full Disney membership. I was thinking of adding Grand Floridian as the third home resort since that is another hard one to book, even though we may rarely go there. It costs 185 points through Disney direct and there is a wait list to get it. Or we could buy Old Key West or Saratoga Springs from Disney direct for $145 per point and get it immediately but my heart is not into those resorts, although I would like to stay there. Just not into having them as a home resort. I doubt we will ever buy a fourth contract so if we buy some add-on points to get a full Disney membership, this will be it. The delta on price of paying $40 per point more on Grand Floridian vs OKW or SSV is not that much for 25-35 points so I am leaning toward going with what I want.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is it worth spending the money on 25-35 direct Disney points to get the benefits and being a full Disney member?

2) If I buy 25-35 points at Grand Floridian, it will barely buy a couple nights at the Grand Floridian with banking or borrowing (75-105 points). Is it still worth it to make that my home resort to get the 11 month booking window?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think for most new buyers they should plan the add on as part of their purchase plan for future options if nothing else. In your case I'm not sure it makes sense, it depends on how often you'd go to WDW and how long you'd likely stay plus whether you'd have interest in group trips like member only DCL options. As for WDW I'm not sure 25 only makes sense for VGF or even if VGF makes sense for you at all. Only you can determine how likely you are to want/need that option. I get the sense you're making assumptions rather than working from true information/experience and if that's the case I definitely would not buy VGF or any other high end option you don't already own or I might wait a couple of years and make at least one WDW trip before deciding. In your case I'd likely do VGC even if it took a year or 2 to get the points from DVC. I'd certainly wait until you've cleared ROFR on both before making any decisions.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Is it worth spending the money on 25-35 direct Disney points to get the benefits and being a full Disney member?

The only real financial discount offered by owning DVC direct is access to discounted APs at WDW (not Disneyland). That doesn't sound like a benefit for you - if you are just getting 10% off of dining at Disneyland, it could take a decade to recover the extra cost.

2) If I buy 25-35 points at Grand Floridian, it will barely buy a couple nights at the Grand Floridian with banking or borrowing (75-105 points). Is it still worth it to make that my home resort to get the 11 month booking window?

If you are trying to book studios at VGF at 11 months out, that can be iffy at certain times of the year (Fall Frenzy specifically). As a west coaster, you'd need to get up at 5am to book online as soon as the 11 month window opens up. If you use banked or borrowed pts to book a stay, those points will stay in that new use year even if you have to cancel a reservation, and depending on your circumstances, it might be difficult for you to rebook a stay within that same use year.

It *can* work but I don't like your odds.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think for most new buyers they should plan the add on as part of their purchase plan for future options if nothing else. In your case I'm not sure it makes sense, it depends on how often you'd go to WDW and how long you'd likely stay plus whether you'd have interest in group trips like member only DCL options. As for WDW I'm not sure 25 only makes sense for VGF or even if VGF makes sense for you at all. Only you can determine how likely you are to want/need that option. I get the sense you're making assumptions rather than working from true information/experience and if that's the case I definitely would not buy VGF or any other high end option you don't already own or I might wait a couple of years and make at least one WDW trip before deciding. In your case I'd likely do VGC even if it took a year or 2 to get the points from DVC. I'd certainly wait until you've cleared ROFR on both before making any decisions.

Disney is not selling any Grand Cal points direct at all, not even with a wait list. They told me to buy them on the resale market. That is why we proceeded with the resale market. Yes, you are right. We need to complete these purchases and get our Disney membership before we make more assumptions. Then if we become Disney fanatics, I think this question will answer itself.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney is not selling any Grand Cal points direct at all, not even with a wait list. They told me to buy them on the resale market. That is why we proceeded with the resale market. Yes, you are right. We need to complete these purchases and get our Disney membership before we make more assumptions. Then if we become Disney fanatics, I think this question will answer itself.
Sure they are, when they get them they sell them. They may not have them right now but if you keep checking back you will eventually get them.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just passed ROFR on our resale Grand Cal contract.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just passed ROFR on our resale Grand Cal contract.
Congrats but if you need a few more and to buy retail, you can get them at VGC but it will likely take some time and effort.