• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using A Travel Agent to Book Airfare Only

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Any thoughts on this? I know it is the old fashioned way- but I hate booking a flight. Rarely fly and when we are planning a vacation that involves flying I have a lot of anxiety. The pricing, the logistics, the timing, the baggage issues, the seating, fees,- hate it all. Have done it numerous times in the past, but it's been a while.

Planning on a trip in June, but won't know until sometime in February whether or not my husband can have the week off and then, if approved, will have to book something. We also want to use a small international airport closer our home (about 40 minutes) so we won't have to hire a car to take us to the bigger ones that are two hours away from where we live. And we want to fly into a small regional airport close to where we will be staying. Plus we want decent departure and arrival times, of course.

Probably will involve 2 stops/connections on each flight. Ugh...

Anyway, not even sure travel agents book flights only anymore. Anyone know anything about it?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion check Jet Blue and Southwest Airlines both are having sales? You can cancel reservations on both air lins

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Suggestion check Jet Blue and Southwest Airlines both are having sales? You can cancel reservations on both air lins

Problem is- they do not fly frome here to there.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I’m expecting an airfare quote today from a travel agent. I’ll fly to Kona and return from Honolulu. American flies there nonstop, but every return is a redeye. Hawaiian returns nonstop during the day. I’ve found exactly what I want on Google Flights, but cannot book the tickets No site lets me have exactly what I want. I’ve given the agent all details so there’s not much work on her part. If the fee is nominal, perhaps $20 each person, I’ll do it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Anyway, not even sure travel agents book flights only anymore. Anyone know anything about it?

The loss of commissions from airlines and lower commissions from cruiselines has many TA's resorting to fees for this service. For for your fee, you typically get no better service than you'd get by using an OTA (online TA) without a fee... A printout of your reservation code and itinerary. In fact, in-person service may be worse becuz a guy at a desk is not going to spend his time looking for better fares with alternate dates or airports, like you can.

I'm not above using OTA's (Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz) for complex of foreign travel.
I praise Expedia for assisting me when AirOne cancelled a flight from Venice to Rome.
Try getting your local TA on the phone at odd-hours.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I had a big problem with Travelocity a few years ago and vowed never again to use them. I had been going directly to airlines' web sites.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
OTA (online TA) with no-fee: Just a printout of your reservation code and itinerary.
I'd be glad to use an OTA but don't know about it. I've searched with Expedia et al and even used them, but didn't know I could tell them exactly what I want and get personal service. Are there links on the sites or do I contact Customer Service?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I had a big problem with Travelocity a few years ago and vowed never again to use them. I had been going directly to airlines' web sites.
I may use Travelocity to see which airlines fly the routes I need, but then I'll check the airline website and book there.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would expect it to cost $50+ per ticket if you expect them to do the routing for you. If you use the travel agent of a regular basis it might be less or they might waive the fee. If you do all the leg work and have the exact route and flights you want, I would still expect around $25 per ticket.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm more price sensitive than is probably good for me. I search using Kayak, changing airports and schedules as necessary, then when I find what works, I usually book through the airline's site. That way, upgrades, cancellations, changes don't have to go through a third party. I can't justify paying a travel agent to do something I'm capable of.

Now, if it was for last minute travel, or something really unusual- private jet, multi leg, large group, special needs, foreign carriers that don't subscribe to web search engines, travel agents have access to tools not available to the public on the internet. One expects to pay the price for this level of expertise and service.

Jim

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't used a travel agent, but, on occasion when I have signed up with a tour group, I have also used the tour company's travel department to book flights. At times, free, or, sometimes a $50 charge. One advantage is that I pay later, and, until I pay, cancelling can be done at no charge or with no rebooking fees. Once, the touring company got me a fare that I could not come close to touching (and on better flights). Finally, the travel departments with tour groups (and I presume the same is true for travel agents) can often book mixed levels of service (business one way, economy or economy plus the other) that I cannot.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know a family member or good friend who can do it for you. I've been booking tickets for family members for years. I'm not a travel agent. Timeshares are my hobby and I'm ALWAY scouting cheap airfares.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Do you know a family member or good friend who can do it for you. I've been booking tickets for family members for years. I'm not a travel agent. Timeshares are my hobby and I'm ALWAY scouting cheap airfares.

If I can get my husband to sit down with me to do it, but that's a challenge. LOL! No one else around to help with it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will still need to know what you want... if the challenge is getting your husband to sit down with you to agree on the flights, an agent cannot help you.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You mentioned that there is a large airport two hours away. When we lived in Pennsylvania we used to go to Vegas in March for a convention for my job and stay on for our anniversary. Now there are cheap flights from Pittsburgh to Vegas but back then it was far cheaper for us to drive the extra hour, making it a two hour drive, to Cleveland. We would drive in after work the night before if it was an early morning flight and stay at a hotel that provided transportation to and from the airport. We were able to leave our car there for the time were were gone. Because we were staying at least a week and usually longer, paying for a night at a hotel was actually cheaper than paying for the parking even at the best rate. When we had an afternoon flight and didn't need to stay overnight we were still able to pay for a night at the hotel to get free parking and transport to and from the airport.

Our rule of thumb has been if it costs around $35 more a piece to fly out of the airport closest to us then we will usually spend the extra money not to have to drive the extra distance. If it costs in the range of $40-$60 more each, then we take a good look at the time of year (wintertime up North with potentially bad driving conditions), how long the flight is and if we will be getting back late and have to go to work the next morning before deciding. When the savings get above $70 each we've always driven the extra distance to save that much money. We'd rather drive the extra hour or even 90 minutes to an airport that is further away and have that money we saved to spend while we are on our vacation.

Tuesdays are usually when most airlines have the best prices. You don't have to fly on Tuesdays, that is just the day to book the flights to get the best price. Some airline websites have calendars that you are actually able to select the month to see the prices for each day.

Spirit Airlines - Pay for your bags when you purchase your flights to get the best price. Checked bags are cheaper than carry-ons. If you pay the $59 a year for one of you to join their Spirit Club you will get the best prices on flights and bags. But if you won't be flying them at least once more in that next year then I wouldn't think you would save enough to offset the $59 fee to join. Only one person needs to join and can book for everyone in their party to get them the cheapest rate too. There are no complimentary drinks or snacks so bring a sandwich or snacks and an empty water bottle from home and fill it up after you get through security. Or purchase something before you get on the plane. I also don't pay extra to pick our seats as we don't care. We fly Spirit A LOT and have no complaints. Usually the people who complain about Spirit are the ones who wait until they get to the airport to pay for their bags because those fees are expensive.

**Two weeks ago on Spirit I booked three round trip non-stop flights (Spirit Club prices) from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Cleveland, Ohio leaving in mid February and returning in early March with one shared checked bag for $217.49 TOTAL. $42 ($21 each way) of that was for the checked bag and the remaining $175.49 was the total for all three flights, not each flight.

Frontier and Allegiant - You pay for checked and carry-on bags. Like Spirit only the personal item that fits under the seat is free. As for drinks and snacks, a glass of water might be free but I don't think anything else is. Like Spirit these two airlines also have some great deals on flights.

Jet Blue and American - Carry-on bags are still free as far as I know. I believe Jet Blue still gives you free drinks and snacks. Not sure about American.

Southwest - Still has 2 free bags and free snacks and drinks.

I have a lot of airlines to choose from with flying out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami so might have way more options that other people have. Plus we fly often enough that I can't justify paying higher price just to get free snacks and drinks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You will still need to know what you want... if the challenge is getting your husband to sit down with you to agree on the flights, an agent cannot help you.

Believe it or not, hubby would prefer to just let me take care of it and just tag along.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You mentioned that there is a large airport two hours away. When we lived in Pennsylvania we used to go to Vegas in March for a convention for my job and stay on for our anniversary. Now there are cheap flights from Pittsburgh to Vegas but back then it was far cheaper for us to drive the extra hour, making it a two hour drive, to Cleveland. We would drive in after work the night before if it was an early morning flight and stay at a hotel that provided transportation to and from the airport. We were able to leave our car there for the time were were gone. Because we were staying at least a week and usually longer, paying for a night at a hotel was actually cheaper than paying for the parking even at the best rate. When we had an afternoon flight and didn't need to stay overnight we were still able to pay for a night at the hotel to get free parking and transport to and from the airport.

Our rule of thumb has been if it costs around $35 more a piece to fly out of the airport closest to us then we will usually spend the extra money not to have to drive the extra distance. If it costs in the range of $40-$60 more each, then we take a good look at the time of year (wintertime up North with potentially bad driving conditions), how long the flight is and if we will be getting back late and have to go to work the next morning before deciding. When the savings get above $70 each we've always driven the extra distance to save that much money. We'd rather drive the extra hour or even 90 minutes to an airport that is further away and have that money we saved to spend while we are on our vacation.

Tuesdays are usually when most airlines have the best prices. You don't have to fly on Tuesdays, that is just the day to book the flights to get the best price. Some airline websites have calendars that you are actually able to select the month to see the prices for each day.

Spirit Airlines - Pay for your bags when you purchase your flights to get the best price. Checked bags are cheaper than carry-ons. If you pay the $59 a year for one of you to join their Spirit Club you will get the best prices on flights and bags. But if you won't be flying them at least once more in that next year then I wouldn't think you would save enough to offset the $59 fee to join. Only one person needs to join and can book for everyone in their party to get them the cheapest rate too. There are no complimentary drinks or snacks so bring a sandwich or snacks and an empty water bottle from home and fill it up after you get through security. Or purchase something before you get on the plane. I also don't pay extra to pick our seats as we don't care. We fly Spirit A LOT and have no complaints. Usually the people who complain about Spirit are the ones who wait until they get to the airport to pay for their bags because those fees are expensive.

**Two weeks ago on Spirit I booked three round trip non-stop flights (Spirit Club prices) from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Cleveland, Ohio leaving in mid February and returning in early March with one shared checked bag for $217.49 TOTAL. $42 ($21 each way) of that was for the checked bag and the remaining $175.49 was the total for all three flights, not each flight.

Frontier and Allegiant - You pay for checked and carry-on bags. Like Spirit only the personal item that fits under the seat is free. As for drinks and snacks, a glass of water might be free but I don't think anything else is. Like Spirit these two airlines also have some great deals on flights.

Jet Blue and American - Carry-on bags are still free as far as I know. I believe Jet Blue still gives you free drinks and snacks. Not sure about American.

I have a lot of airlines to choose from with flying out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami so might have way more options that other people have. Plus we fly often enough that I can't justify paying higher price just to get free snacks and drinks.

Yes. Thanks for your input. I did think of the hotel thing. I had already booked our hotel at the vacation destination for a Sat. to Sat. so after coming back we would have Sunday to regroup before going back to work on Monday. So....

The thing is, we already commute in opposite directions so that would mean coming home on Friday night and getting back in the car and driving to the airport two hours away on a Friday night in NYC/NJ (aka traffic!). Not gonna happen.

This is why we always got car service in the past- even if it meant being picked up at 3am for an early morning flight. Coming back into NY/NJ it is almost always hell- always delays and problems- by the time we land we are wiped, then still have the 2 hour drive home. Again- the car service becomes invaluable.

So, for us we have to factpr in the cost of the car service vs. the cost of flying out of the small airport near to our home (still 45 minutes away- but this is a country area- nice easy drive. small airport- easy to navigate, etc. I actually work right next to it).

Then again- flights from there- to where we are going- usually involve two stops/connections (yuk) and there are limited airlines and will be much more expensive.

And this is where my head starts pounding....LOL!

PS- You got some great deals on your flights! Would never happen in our case. We are just too limited in choices in what we want to do and where we are going. (We are also flying into a smaller airport to be close to the hotel we are staying in on our vacation).

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
And this is where my head starts pounding....LOL!

Just reading your reply is enough to make my head start pounding in sympathy! Do you always have to go through this every time you fly? Our situations are so completely different. I live 20 minutes from the Fort Lauderdale airport and am completely spoiled by the convenience and the number of low priced options. You have two options and neither is convenient nor inexpensive.

Option 1: Fly out of the big city airport which is notorious for delays but cheaper flights. I'm guessing by the time you pay for the car service you haven't saved all that much on the flights but you wouldn't be paying for airport parking and the parking probably isn't cheap in that area. I have no idea what the car service costs but they drop you right at the airport and you don't have the stress of driving in the traffic. I'd say that is money well spent!

Option 2: Fly out of the airport closer to home with two connections and a much more expensive flight.

You said you work right by the smaller airport closer to home. Have you ever brought the suitcases to work with you in your car and had your husband meet you there after work on Friday? Flying out on Friday night to the first or even the second stop, staying the night at a hotel that will pick you up and take you back to the airport in the morning might give you more options to get a better price on at least one leg of your flight. And you might not feel quite so tired when you arrive at your destination on Saturday. That is supposing that you can leave one of the cars at your workplace while you are gone.

You will be so ready to enjoy your vacation when you get there no matter which choice you make!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever looked at or signed up for Airfarewatchdog? Sign up for fare alerts and see what they find.

Also, have you thought about doing the 2 hour drive in the opposite direction. We have found significant cost savings by driving to Bradley (BDL) in Hartford, CT. Vacations are supposed to be fun, so I wouldn't even consider using the NY/NJ airports.

One last suggestion, ITA Matrix can be a helpful tool in searching for airfare, but you'll need to go to the airline website to buy your tix.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Believe it or not, hubby would prefer to just let me take care of it and just tag along.

That may explain why you want to talk to a TA... he'd be a surrogate husband.
IMHO, it's unfair for you to shoulder the whole burden of travel planning.
It allows him to sit back and judge even when he didn't express preferences.
I am the planner in our family, but I always insist that DW help make choices.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That explains why you may want to talk to a TA... he'd be a surrogate husband.
IMHO, it's unfair for you to shoulder the whole burden of travel planning.
It allows him to sit back and judge even when he didn't express preferences.
I am the planner in our family, but I always insist that DW help make choices.
Me too. I love doing the planning. I do check with dh to make sure he's okay with the plans, especially the flights since those are harder to change than anything else.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just reading your reply is enough to make my head start pounding in sympathy! Do you always have to go through this every time you fly? Our situations are so completely different. I live 20 minutes from the Fort Lauderdale airport and am completely spoiled by the convenience and the number of low priced options. You have two options and neither is convenient nor inexpensive.

Option 1: Fly out of the big city airport which is notorious for delays but cheaper flights. I'm guessing by the time you pay for the car service you haven't saved all that much on the flights but you wouldn't be paying for airport parking and the parking probably isn't cheap in that area. I have no idea what the car service costs but they drop you right at the airport and you don't have the stress of driving in the traffic. I'd say that is money well spent!

Option 2: Fly out of the airport closer to home with two connections and a much more expensive flight.

You said you work right by the smaller airport closer to home. Have you ever brought the suitcases to work with you in your car and had your husband meet you there after work on Friday? Flying out on Friday night to the first or even the second stop, staying the night at a hotel that will pick you up and take you back to the airport in the morning might give you more options to get a better price on at least one leg of your flight. And you might not feel quite so tired when you arrive at your destination on Saturday. That is supposing that you can leave one of the cars at your workplace while you are gone.

You will be so ready to enjoy your vacation when you get there no matter which choice you make!

In answer to your first question- yes. This is why we rarely fly. I hate it!

Your options are right on. Thanks. Now can someone book everything for me? Lol!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Have you ever looked at or signed up for Airfarewatchdog? Sign up for fare alerts and see what they find.

Also, have you thought about doing the 2 hour drive in the opposite direction. We have found significant cost savings by driving to Bradley (BDL) in Hartford, CT. Vacations are supposed to be fun, so I wouldn't even consider using the NY/NJ airports.

One last suggestion, ITA Matrix can be a helpful tool in searching for airfare, but you'll need to go to the airline website to buy your tix.

Yes. I am familiar. Not ITA Matrix, though. Will look at it.

Also, yes- have considered Albany and Westchester- also smaller airports.

You see how this flying thing gives me a headache?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Where are you going in June? I am the family airline gal and since I don't fly as much as I use to I enjoy trying to find things for others.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Where are you going in June? I am the family airline gal and since I don't fly as much as I use to I enjoy trying to find things for others.

Ha! Ha! If my husband gets the week off, Durango- 7 nights