• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Value of Exchange

phicha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Imperial Hawaii Vacation Club
I wish there was an easy way to verify MF's at other resorts. However I guess the real value of an exchange is not so much the MF's paid but where it is. For example if MF's are $500 at a resort and mine are $1200 per week I would hope that I could get two weeks at the resort I am interested in for my one week.
Are MF's an equitable way to assess the value of a resort and its location. If this is not the way to approach an exchange - can someone suggest what would be equitable?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance fee is only one variable. The problem is the demand for the weeks in the year fluctuate but not the fee. Another is some resorts have fees way higher than the value and a few might be under.

Maintenance fee might be applicable when looking at a decent demand week that one could own instead of exchanging in. I often do this when owning at the same resort and locking off and trading back in. After paying all the fees how much less did I pay vs owner occupying? It is just not a proper comparison when exchanging into any property during any time period because the getaway price or rental might be much lower than the fees.

The better way is maybe to use the maintenance fee approach on weeks that would cost more to book than the maintenance fee and the rental or getaway price on weeks that would cost less than the annual fee.

You also have to consider up front cost. You could have two units with the same fee but one cost $10k up front and the other $100. Trading into the $10k unit clearly has more value than the unit that only cost $100. This disparity is usually reflected in the price to rent the unit from another owner.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the most import value in the exchange which is how much did you enjoy the vacation and property :)

The one with the best math might not always be the most enjoyable.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Location, trade power, demand....I don't know the maintenance fees for places I trade into, just keep track of my own. Most times I get better places than my own in trade. I have said this before. Own places that you like to go. Then trade for places you don't own to see different things. Try Marketplace exchanges. So far those have worked very well for us.
Silentg

phicha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maintenance fee is only one variable. The problem is the demand for the weeks in the year fluctuate but not the fee. Another is some resorts have fees way higher than the value and a few might be under.

Maintenance fee might be applicable when looking at a decent demand week that one could own instead of exchanging in. I often do this when owning at the same resort and locking off and trading back in. After paying all the fees how much less did I pay vs owner occupying? It is just not a proper comparison when exchanging into any property during any time period because the getaway price or rental might be much lower than the fees.

The better way is maybe to use the maintenance fee approach on weeks that would cost more to book than the maintenance fee and the rental or getaway price on weeks that would cost less than the annual fee.

You also have to consider up front cost. You could have two units with the same fee but one cost $10k up front and the other $100. Trading into the $10k unit clearly has more value than the unit that only cost $100. This disparity is usually reflected in the price to rent the unit from another owner.

Thank you

Yes I have noticed as I got more familiar with Timeshares that getaways were often cheaper than exchanging into. My problem is that I often cannot use up my weeks/points before they expire unless I use them instead of getaways. However that being said there are some places I want to go but there never seems to be any available units. That may be I suppose because although I am happy with my trading power it is not enough to exchange to these places although I am willing to go and prefer to go in the late fall. So the question is if my weeks are not able to get me what I want even though the MF's are relatively high I should get rid of those weeks and just have a timeshare at a cheaper place which will give me points.

phicha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't forget the most import value in the exchange which is how much did you enjoy the vacation and property :)

The one with the best math might not always be the most enjoyable.

That is true that the place that is the most enjoyable might not be the best math. I live on a limited budget and although I would never do an all-inclusive (although many places in Costa Rica or Panama will only do all-inclusive) I wonder if there other places where I could find the places I want to go to at a comparable cost and rooms as to what I pay in MF's

phicha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Location, trade power, demand....I don't know the maintenance fees for places I trade into, just keep track of my own. Most times I get better places than my own in trade. I have said this before. Own places that you like to go. Then trade for places you don't own to see different things. Try Marketplace exchanges. So far those have worked very well for us.
Silentg

Yes that is my problem I just am not sure that my location has the trading power or demand I need/want to trade to some of the places that have either less owners depositing to RCI or II or I don't qualify on the trading power/location/demand side.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner of several different timeshare I tend to go up stream. I have bought my timeshares with the lowest mf and with the most points in their respective systems.

This is true for all except my developer purchase at vvp which was when I was a timeshare noob. I only stay at one of the resorts on a regular basis.

So if you wish to trade within RCI I suggest you find what you believe is a good trader in either weeks or points. The same goes if it's another system.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that is my problem I just am not sure that my location has the trading power or demand I need/want to trade to some of the places that have either less owners depositing to RCI or II or I don't qualify on the trading power/location/demand side.

It is the resort and week that has the trading power and not the location.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
Thank you

Yes I have noticed as I got more familiar with Timeshares that getaways were often cheaper than exchanging into. My problem is that I often cannot use up my weeks/points before they expire unless I use them instead of getaways. However that being said there are some places I want to go but there never seems to be any available units. That may be I suppose because although I am happy with my trading power it is not enough to exchange to these places although I am willing to go and prefer to go in the late fall. So the question is if my weeks are not able to get me what I want even though the MF's are relatively high I should get rid of those weeks and just have a timeshare at a cheaper place which will give me points.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Mayan
Have you ever purchased a getaway from the San Francisco Exchange company and if so did you receive everything promised?

JuliGee

Reaction score
We have received many getaway offers from SFX, and received everything promised. That is based on, they booked us for a unit at a resort. They sent us a confirmation, and we had a great vacation.

Juli

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever purchased a getaway from the San Francisco Exchange company and if so did you receive everything promised?
Hi Fran:
Are you asking whether SFX is a legitimate company from whom to rent a Getaway?
Or are you saying that you rented a getaway from SFX, and it did not meet your expectations in some way?