• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vegetarian recipes

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Recently, I have an interest in vegetarian recipes. I'm not having too much luck finding decent recipes that actually taste good. So far I have been just mixing vegetables that I like together and have tried a few new for me items like soba noodles with mixed results.

So where dose a person go besides you tube ? I guess I need an instapot as I see some recipes that I think I would like.

Anyway, if you have an easy recipe and feel like sharing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Bill

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Search Thug Kitchen Cookbooks. There are three cookbooks that our son uses and he bought them on Amazon. He and his family liked the things he made out of the first one so he bought the other two. I'm visiting him again right now and each time I come to visit he has new dishes for me to try. I've liked everything he's made.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I like allrecipes.com. However, if you are looking for vegetarian recipes that taste like they have meat in them, you may be disappointed. One thing that can add flavor to your vegetarian dishes is vegetable bullion cubes.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Also look up "The Moosewood Cookbook" by Mollie Katzen and also "The Moosewood Cookbook: 40th Anniversary Edition by the same author.

You won 't be dissappointed.

Richard

zinger1457

Reaction score
Vegetables go great with just about any curry dishes, no meat required. Mae Ploy makes some very good curry paste from mild to hot that makes it a quick meal, just add in some coconut milk and vegetables.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find that many vegetarian recipes are not particularly vegetable-rich. Lots of milk, cheese, eggs, soy rather than vegetables. Because of this, going to a cuisine that is primarily vegetarian like Indian will sometimes get you to more vegetables in your vegetarian recipes.

In addition, I like http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes ---

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the ideas. I was told as a newbe vegetarian that I should try to keep it simple. Adding broth and curry paste to the stuff I like seems simple enough for my skill level. I have looked at all the links and will eventually try harder for my skill level recipes. I found 6 of the Moosewood recipe books on Ebay for $15 so I bought them after youtubing their restaurant.

I do have oatmeal figured out, lol.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is your goal to eat more vegetables, or to eat a vegan diet, or some other form of vegetarian diet?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to be a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally. No meat, dairy, eggs, oil, salt or enriched foods like white rice and white bread. My problem is I haven't found many easy recipes that I really like.

Bill

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I am going to be a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally. No meat, dairy, eggs, oil, salt or enriched foods like white rice and white bread."
Bill

For dinner my son made quinoa beet salad that has kale in it because I liked it so much my last visit. It is a recipe from the Thug Kitchen cookbook. Our son gave up meat, dairy, eggs. He does use olive oil and coconut oil. He pays attention to salt intake and I hope he is using the sea salt that I bought for him. I know he only buys brown rice and multigrain products. When he bakes he uses unbleached flour.

After suffering for years with stomach/digestive issues the changes he made in his diet have worked wonders for him. I would rethink giving up all oils as the good ones have health benefits. One thing many people don't understand is that your body naturally makes cholesterol. If you don't give your body the good foods it needs to make good cholesterol it will end up making and raising your bad cholesterol.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to be a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally. No meat, dairy, eggs, oil, salt or enriched foods like white rice and white bread. My problem is I haven't found many easy recipes that I really like.

I may be wrong, but I read you as a meat and potatoes guy, and I am guessing that this is going to be a radical change for you. If you haven't already, you should do some research about how to plan a vegan (actually pescatarian) diet. I also think it's going to be hard to go "cold turkey." It might be a more successful transition if you start with two days a week, and add more days as you adjust and find recipes that you like.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pescatarian is what I will be. I didn't know there was a term for this so thanks. Yes, I was a rib eye guy. Cold turkey vegetarianism wasn't my plan, it just ended up being the right plan. Coffee was the hardest thing to give up.

So far it been over a month with vegetables,fruit and occasionally steamed fish as my main diet. I wasn't a fan of oatmeal but now I actually enjoy it. I have always liked veggies and fruit but kind of stuck to the certain ones. Recently I have been trying vegetables that I didn't really consider in the past. The problem is how to cook them so they taste good.

I did find a recipe for a chickpea burger patty that I might try from one of the links. Eventually I plan to take some vegetarian cooking classes.

Bill

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pescatarian is what I will be. I didn't know there was a term for this so thanks. Yes, I was a rib eye guy. Cold turkey vegetarianism wasn't my plan, it just ended up being the right plan. Coffee was the hardest thing to give up.

So far it been over a month with vegetables,fruit and occasionally steamed fish as my main diet. I wasn't a fan of oatmeal but now I actually enjoy it. I have always liked veggies and fruit but kind of stuck to the certain ones. Recently I have been trying vegetables that I didn't really consider in the past. The problem is how to cook them so they taste good.

I did find a recipe for a chickpea burger patty that I might try from one of the links. Eventually I plan to take some vegetarian cooking classes.

Bill

There are several things that will help give your food more flavor.
A little bit of organic extra virgin, cold pressed and unrefined, coconut oil.
A little bit of a really good quality olive oil.
Lemon juice
Balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
Seasonings like hot sauce, red pepper flakes, thyme, Italian seasoning and dill.
We found some fish seasoning that is fantastic.

There are a couple of things I order from Vitacost that you might like.
Groats are even better, healthier and tastier, than steel cut oats. You will probably find that you will want to cook them a little longer and maybe with a little more liquid than the instructions call for. That has been our experience with both steel cut oats and groats.
YS Eco Bee organic unfiltered raw honey If you read about the benefits of this kind of honey, not necessarily the brand, you will likely be amazed.
Vitacost Ancient Grains Blend

Saute mushrooms and chopped garlic in a little bit of olive oil. Medium to lower heat. Could probably use coconut oil instead of olive oil. Mushrooms quickly give out a lot of liquid so you don't need much oil. When the mushrooms are almost done add fresh spinach and cook until it is limp and tender. Add chickpeas and lemon juice and maybe even a few red pepper flakes. I've been wanting to try eggplant in addition to or instead of the mushrooms.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jan, I was wondering how you cook your groats. I bought some and kind of followed the directions on the bag and they were ok I guess but pretty bland. I think the recipe I followed had me boiling them in vegetable broth instead of water.

I ordered a Instant Pot and plan to make some vegetarian soups like split pea and potato and some others I saw on you tube. Thanks for the vitacost idea. I was looking at some of the food on their page and found a few things that I might like.

I haven't tried eggplant yet either but I have a feeling that at some point I will, lol.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far it been over a month with vegetables,fruit and occasionally steamed fish

I do not think that a do-it-yourself pescatarian diet is going to be successful - you need to do some research and have a plan, to be sure you are getting all the nutrients you need, and to have a good understanding of what you should and should not include.

You don't have to eliminate oils completely - some nutrients are only found in fats.
Why aren't you eating healthy Carbs?
Why did you give up coffee?

A radical diet change is not likely to be successful, unless you have a good understanding of the new diet.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I kind of agree with your last statement Denise but I am not willing to argue about it. If you plan to introduce negativity to this thread please stop. If you can help, please do. The changes in my very active life style are the result of recent changes to my health, mainly a heart attack about a month ago. I have always been considered healthy but have been on statins for many years for cholesterol. I wasn't a smoker and rarely drink. Currently I am in rehab and education.

My vegetarianism is to help reduce plaque build up in my arteries so I might avoid future heart problems. So far I haven't missed meat and don't have a problem with others consuming meat while I eat my vegies. :D I do miss coffee as I was drinking six or more cups a day.

Bill

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Hi Jan, I was wondering how you cook your groats. I bought some and kind of followed the directions on the bag and they were ok I guess but pretty bland. I think the recipe I followed had me boiling them in vegetable broth instead of water.

I ordered a Instant Pot and plan to make some vegetarian soups like split pea and potato and some others I saw on you tube. Thanks for the vitacost idea. I was looking at some of the food on their page and found a few things that I might like.

I haven't tried eggplant yet either but I have a feeling that at some point I will, lol.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Always add some sea salt whenever you are cooking oats or groats. You are better off cooking with salt than adding it afterwards as you will use less because the foods will absorb the taste. Many people use almond milk when they serve oats or groats and we sometimes use pineapple juice instead. We always add fruit, fresh or thawed frozen, usually some walnuts or almonds too and top ours with cinnamon when we dish it out.

Funny you should mention the Instant Pot. After reading the thread about them here on TUG we decided we should buy one. I just got back from my son's this afternoon and I meant to ask him if he would want one too. He made some excellent potato leek soup with dill added when he served it. He used an immersion blender and I meant to suggest that he that he leave some of the potatoes in small chunks next time. It makes the soup seem a little more substantial when you are serving it as a main meal. I thought a can of cannellini beans would be good in the soup too. I would add them at the end and they would add more protein for a main meal. He added small pieces vegetarian bacon that he got from Trader Joe's to give it a little more pizzaz.

If you have a Trader Joe's anywhere near you they have some great things that are helpful to make healthier meals. We buy their miso ginger soup, Asian blend and or stir fry vegetables and cook them in the broth. If you have some left over fish it would go great in the soup. We often put some noodles or even vegetarian dumplings in it too. We top the soup with some peanuts or pumpkin seeds.

I'm a big fan of drinking this in the morning and highly recommend it. This should help with the plaque in your arteries and other things too. You can find other recipes and tinker with them to suit yourself like I did.
  • 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (it has to be raw, unfiltered, with the mother) (Braggs is a good brand and I probably use more than 1 tablespoon, maybe 2?)
  • Juice from 1 lemon (I know that I don't use the juice from a whole lemon, more like a tablespoon maybe?)
  • 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp. Honey, raw and unfiltered (Again I probably only use a generous teaspoon)
  • we add some cinnamon but I've seen variations of this recipe that call for ginger too which is very healthy
  • Warm water – You can dilute this as strong or as weak as you prefer. I usually add about 6-8 ounces water.

I want to give you some information about table salt vs sea salt. Cutting out all salt isn't really healthy. Another good article about sea salt can be found on: healthylivingresources.motherearthworks.com

A Grain of Salt
The differences between refined, processed salt (also known as “table salt”) and unrefined natural salt are as great as the differences between white sugar and freshly cut sugar cane. These differences can have a major impact on staying healthy, avoiding potentially toxic additives, and increasing your risk of diseases you want to avoid.

The typical modern, refined table salt can be compared to refined sugar and refined flour—it used to be a healthful, whole food, but our industrial food system has stripped and processed it into a disaster waiting to happen.

Like most factory-made, food-like products Westerners eat today, what began as an essential nutrient has been disfigured into a detriment to our health.

Major salt producing companies mine unpalatable and impure rock salt from the earth, then dry it in huge, fossil-fuel-guzzling kilns with temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F. This changes the salt’s chemical structure into pure sodium chloride, which is very different from natural salt which contains lots of trace minerals.

In other words, sea salt and table salt share the same amount of sodium chloride, but only sea salt retains the trace elements found in saline water. These trace minerals matter not only to taste, but to health as well.

After this extremely energy-intensive process that strips the trace nutrients out, they then put in additives like fluoride (!), synthetic iodine, as well as anti-caking agents. These anti-caking agents include:

• E341 Tricalcium Phosphate
  • E500 Sodium bicarbonate
  • E535 Sodium ferrocyanide
  • E536 Potassium ferrocyanide
  • E538 Calcium ferrocyanide
  • E542 Bone phosphate
  • E550 Sodium silicate
  • E551 Silicon dioxide
  • E552 Calcium silicate
  • E553a Magnesium trisilicate
  • E553b Talcum powder
  • E554 Sodium aluminosilicate
  • E555 Potassium aluminium silicate
  • E556 Calcium aluminosilicate
  • E558 Bentonite
  • E559 Aluminium silicate
  • E570 Stearic acid
  • E900 Polydimethylsiloxane
The most commonly used anti-caking agent is E554 sodium aluminosilicate which comes with possible side effects such as constipation, along with many precautions if you have liver or kidney disease. Aluminum derivatives have also been implicated in a number of health conditions, including Alzheimer’s disease.

All these additives can cause discoloration in refined salt, so bleaching agents are then used to restore the desirable white color.

It should be noted that additives like anti-caking agents are forbidden in organic food production. Although no salt has been certified organic, refined, processed salt would never make the cut.

So to summarize, refined table salt has been stripped of all its natural trace minerals, and now contains synthetic iodine, fluoride, anti-caking food additives, and bleaching residues. What was a natural, whole food has been processed into a highly industrial, pseudo-food Americans have come to think of as “salt” that causes the potential for a myriad of health problems.

According to Dr Barbara Hendel, researcher and co-author of Water & Salt, The Essence of Life, it is refined, processed and bleached salts that are the problem. Salt is critical to our health and is the most readily available nonmetallic mineral in the world. But our bodies are not designed to processed refined sodium chloride with synthetic additives since it has no nutritional value.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Currently I am in rehab and education

You probably have access to a nutritionist as part of your Rehab - that is your best resource for information and support for the changes you want to make in your diet. You have a better chance of success, if you work closely with a nutritionist.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Bill - a very good male friend of ours gave up meat many years ago. He went on a vegan diet of some sort- no fish also. He read some book about the killing of animals and how our meat has all those antibiotics and so forth. I forget the name of it. It was pretty popular.

He did so based on a test that showed he MIGHT end up with a cardio issue. He said he felt great- more energy, etc. He took up Yoga as well. He is very tall- over 6 ft. Always was slim and athletic. Anyway, fast forward years later and he is not feeling so great he says and has begun to add some meat into his diet, though limiting, as well as dairy like eggs and yogurt (protein).

I have been a Pescatarian for many years. I started off giving up meat except for turkey. I never gave up dairy and never would. I like eggs and Greek yogurt and ice cream and cheese! I then gave up turkey for years but got so bored I have reintroduced it into my diet. I only eat it occasionally to give me something else to eat.

Anyway, I have oatmeal mixed with oat bran every morning during the week with ground flaxseed (I grind my own every morning in a small coffee grinder). I add almond milk and wheat germ and blueberries and cinnamon and craisins.. I drink grapefruit juice and black tea. I also like Muesli cereal.

On weekends for bkst. I make an omelet and sometimes turkey bacon or the fake bacon/breakfast sausage and whole wheat toast- maybe a hash brown patty. Sometimes instead I make a Belgian waffle or pancakes with whole grain flour and VT maple syrup.

My lunch during the workweek is always a salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of blue cheese, plus tomatoes and sunflower seeds. Wknds. I might make a tuna sandwich or a turkey sandwich or even nachos and cheese for lunch.
Or a 4 bean salad I buy in jars at Sams Club.

Tonight I had freshly made lentil soup I put into the crock pot for dinner. Many dinners I have salmon or halibut or flounder or shrimp, plain veggies, like broccoli, and maybe brown rice or quinoa or pearl couscous or potatoes.

Vegetable and/or bean soups are pretty easy I think. The key is to add a lot of spices.
Also, I do eat pasta. Usually, my Sunday dinner. Sometimes I will make turkey meatballs or meatloaf.

Give Tempeh a try. It is so much better than boring tofu. And- mushrooms- you can do a lot with them as well. Tempeh is a fermented food and fermented foods are good for you. Tofu and a lot of those fake meat products are processed foods and really not very good for you, though I do end up eating them sometimes to add variety in a pinch.

Sometimes steamed veggies like broccoli and cauliflower can be boring so I coat them with olive oil and lots of minced garlic and red pepper flakes and bake them on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. We love them prepared like this! Simple and fast.

But- cheese- no. I can never give up. It really adds a lot to many recipes, as long as you don't overdo it it can't hurt you.

It is a challenge not to eat meat but over time you get used to it. PS I never add salt to anything.

And- PS- you might want to take up drinking- a little red wine maybe or a bit of vodka here and there. An occasional beer.

And- I don't see how a cup of coffee can hurt you, but if you are ok with not having it- great. Maybe try some black or green tea. I have green tea every night. i also drink a glass of water before bed every night. Supposedly helps decrease incidence of stroke. Who knows?

Also- too much fruit is not good. A lot of sugar. I limit mine to the blueberries in my oatmeal and my glass of grapefruit juice I take on the morning with my vitamins and probiotics. Sometimes I might have a banana.

Oh, and with a doctors ok, exercise and also try to eat your last meal early in the day/evening.I try not to eat anything after 7pm- and even earlier if I can.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And- PS- you might want to take up drinking- a little red wine maybe or a bit of vodka here and there. An occasional beer.
Now, THERE'S a diet I can get behind! (Just kidding, Bill. I hope it all works out for you). My tidbit of wisdom.... incremental change in lifestyle is MUCH easier to incorporate as what seems 'normal' than a complete makeover. Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy life.

Jim

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both my kids were vegetarians at one time. Here are a couple of my favorite, fast go-to recipes:

Chickpea and Tomato Curry
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chickpea-and-tomato-curry/9a688017-52a6-4d71-8d91-4d2824065365

Vegetarian Chili
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72508/the-best-vegetarian-chili-in-the-world/

Trader Joe's has a good recipe for Greek Pasta using whole wheat noodles, kalamata olives, cherry toms, feta, and basil but I can't find it right now. It does have cheese in it, but a little feta goes a long way. If I find it I will post.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Both my kids were vegetarians at one time. Here are a couple of my favorite, fast go-to recipes:

Chickpea and Tomato Curry
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chickpea-and-tomato-curry/9a688017-52a6-4d71-8d91-4d2824065365

Vegetarian Chili
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72508/the-best-vegetarian-chili-in-the-world/

Trader Joe's has a good recipe for Greek Pasta using whole wheat noodles, kalamata olives, cherry toms, feta, and basil but I can't find it right now. It does have cheese in it, but a little feta goes a long way. If I find it I will post.

http://www.traderjoesfan.com/component/mtree/recipes/greek-pasta-salad

Richard

zinger1457

Reaction score
Bill - a very good male friend of ours gave up meat many years ago. He went on the Paleo diet- no fish also. He read some book about the killing of animals and how our meat has all those antibiotics and so forth. I forget the name of it. It was pretty popular.

Isn't the Paleo diet centered around meat and fish?

Last edited: