• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vip status

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
what does it require to attain vip status.........l'm curious
Pat

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
purchasing point directly from Wyndham. Resale points don't count toward VIP

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
what does it require to attain vip status.........l'm curious
Pat
450,000 points is silver....700,000 points is gold......1,000,000 points is Platinum. I am grandfathered gold at 500,000, but oh boy do they try hard to sell me 200,000 more points....LOL

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
purchasing point directly from Wyndham. Resale points don't count toward VIP
Or, buy someone's VIP ownership with terms (a contract) that they stay on as an 'owner' that gives you full control, ownership ad releases the original 'owner' from any liability. Add your name to the deeds or trust. You'll need a quit claim deed adding you to the deed if it's deeded and process it through Wyndham. Also have a quit claim deed prepared to remove the original 'owner' for when it's time to leave the program (sell). You may have to pay a little more to the owner to do it this way, but it may be worth it to all involved.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
PIC weeks count toward VIP. You have to buy 50,000 points to PIC one week and a 3 bedroom week gives 254000 points

So about $20000 for 105000 points plus the two weeks gives 600,000 points (Silver) Spend $40000 and become Gold. Platinum would require a 500000 point purchase and cost $80000 to $100000

Assuming you have that kind of money to put into a second home, Does it make sense to do it under the new rules?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, buy someone's VIP ownership with terms (a contract) that they stay on as an 'owner' that gives you full control, ownership ad releases the original 'owner' from any liability. Add your name to the deeds or trust. You'll need a quit claim deed adding you to the deed if it's deeded and process it through Wyndham. Also have a quit claim deed prepared to remove the original 'owner' for when it's time to leave the program (sell). You may have to pay a little more to the owner to do it this way, but it may be worth it to all involved.

I know guys that have done this and others that have "leased" an account from an owner. I made someone Platinum doing this once. They paid my maintenance fees plus a little to make it worthwhile for me, and just took over my account

But Ill ask thge same question I asked in another post...Dose it make financial sense to pay anything for a VIP ownership when points are available on the secondary market for almost nothing?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dose it make financial sense to pay anything for a VIP ownership when points are available on the secondary market for almost nothing?
I believe it is if you maximize the benefits. Five to ten thousand dollars is much better than over one hundred thousand dollars.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it is if you maximize the benefits. Five to ten thousand dollars is much better than over one hundred thousand dollars.

The comparison is with non VIP points, not with VIP from Wyndham.

I don't know what you mean by maximizing benefits. Without cancel and rebook the benefits are not much

Further, you assume is that you can convince a VIP owner to jump through the hoops to make you a VIP for no more money than what points are available for on the secondary market without VIP benefits

The guy that is willing to jump through those hoops knows what he has and knows what it's worth (to you) He's gonna want more than 5-10k. That's what points are going for in eBay

By the way there was a guy selling a VIP account on eBay recently. I don't know the technique he used but he got over $25,000. That's the number I'd use and given the new rules, I have trouble justifying even that much

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
450,000 points is silver....700,000 points is gold......1,000,000 points is Platinum. I am grandfathered gold at 500,000, but oh boy do they try hard to sell me 200,000 more points....LOL
400,000 is silver. I was good at 500,000 grandfathered in until deeds removed from trust left me 402,000. I believe gold is 750,000. I know how hard they try to take those deeds from me but I am happy they haven't. Some have used resales and become gold with points but I am hoping for a new club to honor ones who have stuck it out.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This sounds interesting as it may help my situation as I would like to give any profit to a charity dealing with mental illness in Headland, AL.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My deeds are listed on Buy a Timeshare for $25000.package. This could relieve me of the $3000, on my Discover Card and help make sure of clear titles hopefully. I know all have told me this would be dreaming but God told the director she was dreaming to have 25 acres of land with a gazebo, five cabins and a college for training new mental health counselors but it is happening. I may have to give CLA trust the ROFR on this.

Last edited:

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
400,000 is silver. I was good at 500,000 grandfathered in until deeds removed from trust left me 402,000. I believe gold is 750,000. I know how hard they try to take those deeds from me but I am happy they haven't. Some have used resales and become gold with points but I am hoping for a new club to honor ones who have stuck it out.
My apologies, I thought they raised silver to 450,000. Pretty sure Gold is 700,000. They try very hard to get me to buy 200,000 points at every owner update.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just offer me CWA as my only way to reduce my MF. The last was pay $13,500 for 84,000 keep my deeds but pay $235 for each week of vacation rather than the $215/month I was paying plus interest on their loans to me. They really think we must have Alzheimer's. Their fast talk can confuse us so I take my daughter with me as a witness.
My apologies, I thought they raised silver to 450,000. Pretty sure Gold is 700,000. They try very hard to get me to buy 200,000 points at every owner update.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just offer me CWA as my only way to reduce my MF. The last was pay $13,500 for 84,000 keep my deeds but pay $235 for each week of vacation rather than the $215/month I was paying plus interest on their loans to me. They really think we must have Alzheimer's. Their fast talk can confuse us so I take my daughter with me as a witness.
When I was gold at 577,000 they sold me the great Smokies Lodge for 105,000 total 672,000 plus temp platinum which had been 750000 but that broke my gold trust plus turned all my grandchildren from discussing my trust ownership. On fixed income, MF fees equal my tithe to my God so it must be used to help charity.

Last edited:

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
They are constantly pushing Extra Holidays to me, but as I have stated in the past, they overstate the earnings potential. Last sales weasel was fast talking, and used a different dollar figure for how much I could make on EH, everytime he opened his mouth. I called him out on it, declined his offer, and he told me I was stupid. I really do not have much respect for a company that basically encourages lying, and belittling people, as a way to make money.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The new book from Wyndham doesn't mention VIP at all only Select.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is interesting too that the new book says that fair share vacation owners trust is club Wyndham plus. I don't believe that is true now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

The problem right now is that (a) I don't think anyone is capable of maximizing the benefits today because of all the website problems, and (b) once that's all straightened out, we don't know yet exactly how the benefits will work in practice and how much they will resemble the previous functioning of the benefits. If you can't put a dollar value on the benefits of VIP, how can you know if it's worth it? It could be many months before we're really able to quantify it.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just offer me CWA as my only way to reduce my MF lol. The last was pay $13,500 for 84,000 keep my deeds but pay $235 for each week of vacation rather than the $215 I was paying

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
The comparison is with non VIP points, not with VIP from Wyndham.

I don't know what you mean by maximizing benefits. Without cancel and rebook the benefits are not much

Further, you assume is that you can convince a VIP owner to jump through the hoops to make you a VIP for no more money than what points are available for on the secondary market without VIP benefits

The guy that is willing to jump through those hoops knows what he has and knows what it's worth (to you) He's gonna want more than 5-10k. That's what points are going for in eBay

By the way there was a guy selling a VIP account on eBay recently. I don't know the technique he used but he got over $25,000. That's the number I'd use and given the new rules, I have trouble justifying even that much

If you can buy it for $30k online resale it would be worth it.

Let's say that gets you a million points and we will use $6/1000 pts for maintenance. To duplicate Platinum VIP without the actual status you need 2 million points and therefore double the maintenance fees. You're looking at $12k a year in maintenance vs. $6k. So buying that VIP resale, if it sticks, pays for itself in five years.

Now, buying it from Wyndham is another story. For argument's sake let's say I walked into Wyndham and said I will pay $125k to you right now for 1 million points. Safe to say they would take my money? Let's say they do. Now you are looking at over twenty years for payback. Even if you bought Shearwater from them at $4/1000 MF it is still going to take you 15 years to break even. That's one you have to really think about.

Then again you have to ask if He benefits received are worth the money spent, and to be fair,nobody can say for sure at this point because the system is so cluster f$&@(d right now. Cancel/Rebook has been dealt a blow by Corporate and that was the largest benefit used by VIP owners. But because the website is so messed up at this point we really do not know how much C/R has been effected. Remains to be seen.

To me, it would almost be worth it just to have the unlimited housekeeping and Reservation Transactions as we like to do a lot of short stays. Discounts would be nice, but C/R really wouldn't be a part of my repertoire. To each his own.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you can buy it for $30k online resale it would be worth it.

Let's say that gets you a million points and we will use $6/1000 pts for maintenance. To duplicate Platinum VIP without the actual status you need 2 million points and therefore double the maintenance fees. You're looking at $12k a year in maintenance vs. $6k. So buying that VIP resale, if it sticks, pays for itself in five years.

Now, buying it from Wyndham is another story. For argument's sake let's say I walked into Wyndham and said I will pay $125k to you right now for 1 million points. Safe to say they would take my money? Let's say they do. Now you are looking at over twenty years for payback. Even if you bought Shearwater from them at $4/1000 MF it is still going to take you 15 years to break even. That's one you have to really think about.

Then again you have to ask if He benefits received are worth the money spent, and to be fair,nobody can say for sure at this point because the system is so cluster f$&@(d right now. Cancel/Rebook has been dealt a blow by Corporate and that was the largest benefit used by VIP owners. But because the website is so messed up at this point we really do not know how much C/R has been effected. Remains to be seen.

To me, it would almost be worth it just to have the unlimited housekeeping and Reservation Transactions as we like to do a lot of short stays. Discounts would be nice, but C/R really wouldn't be a part of my repertoire. To each his own.
Thank you for your looking at this the way my trustees did when I promoted the latest spiel to them. The argument was always was how many MFs to recoup their sales pitch. The sales pitch was always "over 10 years you will pay thousands in MF fees"so you better buy this. How smart they were to leave me holding the bag for my last bite.$17000 added $80 MFs per month.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
To duplicate Platinum VIP without the actual status you need 2 million points and therefore double the maintenance fees.
This assumes every single reservation will be discounted. I don't think that is realistic given the current reservation system unless you are only looking for low-demand times/resorts with plenty of 60 day availability.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have that kind of money to put into a second home, Does it make sense to do it under the (WYNDHAM?) new rules?

That is a MAJOR consideration. I built a mini-mountain vacation home when I was about 25yo. 15 year mortgage was paid off YEARS ago. My sister's husband with his 2 sisters just inherited his parents OCEAN FRONT vacation condo in Ocean City MD. I own enough fixed deeded WINTER weeks in South Florida to LIVE there from Xmas to Easter. .... which costs MORE? The 2 fully paid off vacation homes (Beachfront & Mountains) to maintain within a 3 hours of driving from MY year round residence ... or my winter timeshare MFs for the fixed weeks? Which of the 2 I own, could I sell & get MORE money for? Timeshares or Mini-Mountain home? And I will throw in for free, the fixed deeded timeshare unit which gets me year round DAY PRIVILEDGES for their gym, indoor pool and 2 outdoor pools plus ANY activities at the resort (movie activities, bingo games, etc) with MFs under $800. ($67 per month).

Trust me ... I have been toying with the idea and been downsizing my person STUFF. No, I am not going to live in an RV, roost in relatives' guest rooms or live in timeshare exchanges. I have enough places to live in ... the new place just needs to be smaller and more cost efficient.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
This assumes every single reservation will be discounted. I don't think that is realistic given the current reservation system unless you are only looking for low-demand times/resorts with plenty of 60 day availability.

Absolutely true. My model assumes that is absolutely going to happen. Kind of like a climate change model....