• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

VIP Upgrade Availability/Visibility

OddYear

Reaction score
When a VIP owner gets a free upgrade for a reserved unit (say upgrade to 2BR from a reserved 1BR), is the 2BR visible to everyone in the Wyn reservation system if available? Or is that something visible to a VIP/VC only (like the discounts)?

I rented something for a co-worker from a VIP owner and would like to send a reminder to the owner to grab an upgrade if I can see it when the upgrade window starts (I'm not VIP).
Thank you.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When a VIP owner gets a free upgrade for a reserved unit (say upgrade to 2BR from a reserved 1BR), is the 2BR visible to everyone in the Wyn reservation system if available? Or is that something visible to a VIP/VC only (like the discounts)?

I rented something for a co-worker from a VIP owner and would like to send a reminder to the owner to grab an upgrade if I can see it when the upgrade window starts (I'm not VIP).
Thank you.

Yes the unit would show and be available to all owners. The only exception I can think of is a PR unit more than 30 days out. That would show only to Pres Reserve owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_and_Val

Reaction score
Remember, he might have already used an upgrade for the reservation......upgraded a studio to a one bed or one bed to a two. Typically that is how they make there VIP benefits work for them.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
My strategy was to make one studio reservation and multiple one bedrooms at 13 months (not many 2's at my favorite resort. Then inside 60 days; cancel rebook, cancel, and upgrade and then rebook the studio and do it again and again The end result is multiple one bedrooms at half the studio price. And one studio at half price

So yes in my experience the cancelled reservations come back, (most of the time)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the unit would show and be available to all owners. The only exception I can think of is a PR unit more than 30 days out. That would show only to Pres Reserve owners.

And sometimes with PR inventory within 30 days. There was never an explanation why that was the case. Wyndham agents always tried to deny it was possible even if when examples were pointed out.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
My strategy was to make one studio reservation and multiple one bedrooms at 13 months (not many 2's at my favorite resort. Then inside 60 days; cancel rebook, cancel, and upgrade and then rebook the studio and do it again and again The end result is multiple one bedrooms at half the studio price. And one studio at half price

So yes in my experience the cancelled reservations come back, (most of the time)

So in theory....you are within the 60 days, the location has a studio, three 1 bedrooms, no 2 bedroom, and one 3 bedroom available, you could make a reservation for the three 1 bedroom units, then book the studio and get the free upgrade to the 3 bedroom since that is the next available upgrade and then go back and cancel the 1 bedroom reservations you just made. So you are paying half the studio price and get a 3 bedroom? That is of course if you have enough points which I am sure most of the mega renters would.

OddYear

Reaction score
Thank you all.

The owner from whom I rented is not a "professional renter". Retired acquaintances conned into buying a VIP with the usual sales lies. They don't spend a lot of time online, and won't be doing cancel-rebook type stuff. Currently, only 1BR has been reserved without using any upgrades. I'm just helping two parties with a win-win(-ish) transaction (no kickbacks for me :)) and checking to see if the experience can be further enhanced through a free upgrade (am I using marketing lingo now? :().

BTW, I can see PR units more than 30 days out. Saw one just now for April (probably mud season for the ski resort).

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
So in theory....you are within the 60 days, the location has a studio, three 1 bedrooms, no 2 bedroom, and one 3 bedroom available, you could make a reservation for the three 1 bedroom units, then book the studio and get the free upgrade to the 3 bedroom since that is the next available upgrade and then go back and cancel the 1 bedroom reservations you just made. So you are paying half the studio price and get a 3 bedroom? That is of course if you have enough points which I am sure most of the mega renters would.

Yes, you could do that. In fact, I've done that -- bought out all the intermediate units. As you say, this is points limited. I've had one time where I reserved three intermediate units and apparently there was at least one more, preventing getting the upgrade to my target unit. I gave up and upgraded one of the intermediate units and canceled the rest.

OddYear

Reaction score
One more question for a hypothetical scenario - if the original booking is made within the upgrade period, e.g., if a 1BR and a 2BR is available today for, say, late Feb., and the VIP owner books the 1BR, does the option to upgrade to a 2BR show up right then online or do they need to call a VC?
Thanks.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question for a hypothetical scenario - if the original booking is made within the upgrade period, e.g., if a 1BR and a 2BR is available today for, say, late Feb., and the VIP owner books the 1BR, does the option to upgrade to a 2BR show up right then online or do they need to call a VC?
Thanks.
The answer is yes. But I don't know when your confirmation shows up and working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Here's the thing. For the high value reservations I'm interested in the three bedroom won't be available to reserve or upgrade into and in my favorite resort there are no three bedrooms

The ops question was simply, does the studio reservation used in this strategy come back to available inventory, when used to upgrade. In my experience yes

You are taking this further and asking if the same strategy can be used with 3 bedrooms. The answer to that question is also yes but for the high value reservations you have to create your own availability i.e. Make the 3 bed reservation and the studio reservation at 10 months or 13 months. At 60 days there won't be anything available until you cancel something

It's this creating your own inventory that some folks consider an abuse of the system. If there is availability without cancelling.... well that's what the discount program was created for.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing. For the high value reservations I'm interested in the three bedroom won't be available to reserve or upgrade into and in my favorite resort there are no three bedrooms

The ops question was simply, does the studio reservation used in this strategy come back to available inventory, when used to upgrade. In my experience yes

You are taking this further and asking if the same strategy can be used with 3 bedrooms. The answer to that question is also yes but for the high value reservations you have to create your own availability i.e. Make the 3 bed reservation and the studio reservation at 10 months or 13 months. At 60 days there won't be anything available until you cancel something

It's this creating your own inventory that some folks consider an abuse of the system. If there is availability without cancelling.... well that's what the discount program was created for.

Thanks Ron. Yeah with the higher value reservations I am sure you would need to book all that in advice. Was just throwing that theory out there. As always appreciate your wisdom. I don't plan on becoming VIP since resell seems to be a better bargain for me when I run the numbers. I will probably do a lot of renting from VIP members though and really hope their upgrades will get me a great price.

OddYear

Reaction score

Actually no, my question was not about the orig unit (studio, in your example) coming back to the inventory but about the target unit (1 BR in your example that is used to upgrade to) being visible to non-VIPs. I wondered if the higher unit to which the upgrade was done was in some inventory that was selectively visible. I'm not talking of cancel-rebook, in which case the owner already has the target unit in their hands to cancel and make available etc.

OddYear

Reaction score
OddYear said:
Thanks.

The answer is yes. But I don't know when your confirmation shows up and working.

Yes, the option to upgrade to a 2BR shows up right then online.
OR
Yes, they need to call a VC?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the option to upgrade to a 2BR shows up right then online.
OR
Yes, they need to call a VC?
I don't know. I always called and have a VC do it. But from what I understand that is going to change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes Odd Year. The upgrade unit would be the same one that would be available online for non VIP's to book at the regular point cost. There is no separate inventory for upgrades.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I do all my upgrades online. It is fast and simple. Go to your confirmation page. If you are within the Upgrade window it says "search for upgrade" with a link that is clickable. (it is the right most column on the confirmation page). If there is something available it will dislay of list of units and you select the radio button of the type of upgrade you want and confirm. If nothing is available, it says SORRY. That is much faster than calling a VC to do. It does not even require a reCaptcha entry online (which also drives me crazy).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually no, my question was not about the orig unit (studio, in your example) coming back to the inventory but about the target unit (1 BR in your example that is used to upgrade to) being visible to non-VIPs. I wondered if the higher unit to which the upgrade was done was in some inventory that was selectively visible. I'm not talking of cancel-rebook, in which case the owner already has the target unit in their hands to cancel and make available etc.

I missed the point of your question. You know what happens when you assume

I made a bad assumption , sorry

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
If booking inside the upgrade window, you will see options to "book" or "upgrade" next to a given unit. If an upgrade is not available for a given unit, only the "book" option shows on that line.

Bottom line, you may have the option to upgrade as you book a unit as a single step.

OddYear

Reaction score
Thank you all. I learned quite a bit which I am not likely to see myself from my own account.
SandyVDH, your post clarified for me the significance of this comment by raygo123 -
But I don't know when your confirmation shows up and working.

For the steps you described, the original booking must have been done before the update period started if one had to wait for the "upgrade" button to show up on the confirmation page.

If booking inside the upgrade window, you will see options to "book" or "upgrade" next to a given unit. If an upgrade is not available for a given unit, only the "book" option shows on that line.

Bottom line, you may have the option to upgrade as you book a unit as a single step.

Just the information I was looking for. Thank you!

I was hoping that there was something that could be done at the time of booking just like we select seats while booking an airline ticket and don't need to come back to the reservation after receiving a confirmation email from the airline to select the seat or upgrade to the extra legroom rows :rolleyes:.

Good to know that there is a one step booking+upgrade option for Wyn bookings done in the upgrade period.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes OddYear there is a difference between booking the original reservation during the VIP upgrade window and having a reservation already booked that you want to upgrade.

If you are playing the cancel and rebook game, then you will handle like an original reservation.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer the ops question, any possible upgrade is in inventory available to all owners... everyone sees everything thats available.
so if you see a possible upgrade for your friend by all means let the VIP you are renting from know its there so he can grab it for you
You could also grab it yourself, so it wont be lost and then later coordinate a cancel (from your account) and upgrade from the VIPs account

If I was the VIP you were renting from, however, I would have priced the smaller unit at market price and if you wanted a larger unit I would charge for that unit at market price as well. ie Ill get you that upgrade but you are going to have to pay

For example I have had a studio, a one bedroom and a two bedroom for the same holiday weekend. to rent and Im paying the same thing for all three of them...and thats half the studio price. and I charge market prices for all three. I will rent the two bedroom for more than the one bedroom and the one bedroom for more than the studio in spite of the fact that my cost was the same for all three.

Of course the VIP you are working with may not be profit motivated and may be willing to pass all the discounts through to you, and give you the larger unit for the same price as the smaller one.. Not me (unless you are a regular customer bringing me lots of reservations or a friend, or someone I owe favors to).

Bottom line the discounts I get are generally enough to provide me with the profit Im looking for and still offer the reservation at a good price to my customers.. I dont pass all the discount through to my customers I pass through only enough to make the deal.

what I pay for a reservation has very little to do with what I charge