• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visiting National Parks in AZ and UT: where to stay?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Head's up to OP and anyone else who has read this thread. I am in the second week of my two-week driving trip through this area. We spent four days in Moab, Utah, so we could visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. I did not know till we arrived that Arches is going through major repaving work at night, and the park is closed from 7PM to 7AM Monday through Thursdays right now. That means no sunrises or sunsets in the Park. Also, they've closed the entire Devil's Garden area (for some reason - I don't know why, or for how long.) So many of the Park's most dramatic sites aren't available. (Landscape Arch, to name one.) Call before you go - or you'll likely be very disappointed. We only spent about five hours inside Arches, spread over two different days. Disappointing.

Canyonlands, on the other hand, was remarkable. Here's one image I took the other evening while waiting for the sunset. :thumbup:

DSCN1031.JPG

Dave

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Beautiful pic! What a disappointment that must have been about the other park. I would have been so mad.

That happened to us once when we drove from our home resort for hours on end to a National Historical Park in Northern Vermont and the government shut down and it was closed.

I am hoping it stops snowing on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. I heard it was delayed in opening because of snow and our whole trip is based on going into the park. Just a couple of more weeks. Fingers crossed.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Beautiful pic! What a disappointment that must have been about the other park. I would have been so mad.

That happened to us once when we drove from our home resort for hours on end to a National Historical Park in Northern Vermont and the government shut down and it was closed.

I am hoping it stops snowing on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. I heard it was delayed in opening because of snow and our whole trip is based on going into the park. Just a couple of more weeks. Fingers crossed.

It was a disappointment. But we made the most of our time there. Just wanted to have sunrise and sunset time at Arches. And of course, the four days we were there was Monday to Thursday - so we couldn't get into the park after hours during the days we needed. Oh well!

Good luck with your plans. When we were driving from Denver west on I-70 two weeks ago, it was snowing in the mountains. Crazy weather! We didn't have any delays (but we didn't hang around, either.) Once we made it over the mountains and into northeastern Utah, everything was much nicer weather.

Currently in Tucson, Arizona, and heading up to Phoenix tomorrow. It's averaging about 100 degrees here right now. No snow. ;)

Dave

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Would love to hear your experiences in RMNP after you get back. Have a family get-together near there in July and would love any tips. :)

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trail Ridge road was scheduled for opening this last weekend, until the most recent snow event of an endless Snow Season arrived.

The entire road is sure to be open across the Continental Divide for your trip, but you will undoubtedly be driving through snowbanks taller than your car. It will be Amazing! (The road into the Park is open all year on both sides; it is just the section across the Divide that gets closed.)

There is an entire string of mountains in RMNP named, "The Never Summer Range" for good reason.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Would love to hear your experiences in RMNP after you get back. Have a family get-together near there in July and would love any tips. :)

Will do! I also will write a review of Rams Horn Village Resort and post in the marketplace.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

It opened yesterday. Have fun! https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/pr_trail_ridge_road_opens_for_the_season.htm

By the way, if you have facebook, you can follow the National Park pages for any individual park. Then you can easily see what is happening in the park that you are visiting.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

dpete

TUG Member
Reaction score
We plan to do a quick road trip to UT and AZ, visiting Antelope Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, and maybe also Arches and Canyonland. We have all visited Grand Canyon at least once so maybe a quick stop but not high on our priority list. Where should we plan to stay? Is Worldmark St George a good base for Zion, Bryce and Antelope Canyon? We are not limited to timeshare but Worldmark, if possible, would be a great consideration logistically. The timeframe is about a week. Thanks!

Have you taken this trip yet? I am just starting to plan pretty much the same trip for next April. My itinerary will be abbreviated and quick. I am flying into Las Vegas and if I can find it-I need a bus for 14 -(luxury bus for driving between parks and with a driver/guide-suggestions welcome). I want to go from airport to Grand Canyon (probably will have to be south rim as north rim doesn't open until May (we are going April 14th). Stay overnight there and visit park at sunrise then head to Brice/Zion (which first?) another overnight stay in that area and back to Las Vegas where we have a house for the week. If you have done your trip and have suggestions I would be ever so grateful (or anyone else)! Love this thread!! I am a Marriott owner fyi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Have you taken this trip yet? I am just starting to plan pretty much the same trip for next April. My itinerary will be abbreviated and quick. I am flying into Las Vegas and if I can find it-I need a bus for 14 -(luxury bus for driving between parks and with a driver/guide-suggestions welcome). I want to go from airport to Grand Canyon (probably will have to be south rim as north rim doesn't open until May (we are going April 14th). Stay overnight there and visit park at sunrise then head to Brice/Zion (which first?) another overnight stay in that area and back to Las Vegas where we have a house for the week. If you have done your trip and have suggestions I would be ever so grateful (or anyone else)! Love this thread!! I am a Marriott owner fyi.

Doesn't sound like you are allowing much time for anything.

It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from the Las Vegas airport to Grand Canyon (south rim). Depending on what time of day you fly in, you won't have much time to see anything. If you plan on leaving the next morning after sunrise, you still don't have much time.

Are you talking about doing both Bryce AND Zion in one day, then driving back to Las Vegas? Driving from Grand Canyon to Bryce will be a little over 5 hours. Driving from Grand Canyon to Zion would be just a little under 5 hours. The distance between the two parks is almost two hours.

To get back to Las Vegas from Zion would be 2 1/2 hours and from Bryce it would be 4 hours.

We took a trip from Las Vegas to Zion and Bryce, but spent the night in the area just outside of each park. That gave us at least a day to see each of them. With your proposed itinerary you'd be driving most of the time and not be seeing much.

Last edited:

dpete

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like you are allowing much time for anything.

It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from the Las Vegas airport to Grand Canyon (south rim). Depending on what time of day you fly in, you won't have much time to see anything. If you plan on leaving the next morning after sunrise, you still don't have much time.

Are you talking about doing both Bryce AND Zion in one day, then driving back to Las Vegas? Driving from Grand Canyon to Bryce will be a little over 5 hours. Driving from Grand Canyon to Zion would be just a little under 5 hours. The distance between the two parks is almost two hours.

To get back to Las Vegas from Zion would be 2 1/2 hours and from Bryce it would be 4 hours.

We took a trip from Las Vegas to Zion and Bryce, but spent the night in the area just outside of each park. That gave us at least a day to see each of them. With your proposed itinerary you'd be driving most of the time and not be seeing much.

Yes-we want to see sunrise at Grand Canyon then drive to Brice or Zion. See sunset,stay overnight and sunrise the next day in same park the go to other park-stay to end of day and head late to Vegas.

I know it's packing in but with a hired driver and private bus we plan to have fun on the road :)
Thanks for your info it is helpful. Any ideas for places to stay?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes-we want to see sunrise at Grand Canyon then drive to Brice or Zion. See sunset,stay overnight and sunrise the next day in same park the go to other park-stay to end of day and head late to Vegas.

I know it's packing in but with a hired driver and private bus we plan to have fun on the road :)
Thanks for your info it is helpful. Any ideas for places to stay?

I can only report on where we stayed.

In the Grand Canyon we stayed at the El Tovar. It's the most historic, one of the Fred Harvey hotels, and has a lot of charm. The room we were in was pretty small. Even if you don't stay there and stay at one of the other hotels on the rim, you can eat in their dining room.

For Zion we stayed in Springdale, UT. I can't remember where. It was either the Best Western or the Hampton Inn. I thought I had done a review, but can't find it.

And for Bryce we stayed at the Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon. My tripadvisor review is below:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...Plus_Bryce_Canyon_Grand_Hotel-Bryce_Utah.html

I wanted to come back and add a comment about sunrise at the Grand Canyon. We had been told we couldn't miss it, that it's a magical experience. So we got up super early to do it. It was freezing outside (this was in May). And we were underwhelmed. I don't know if we were expecting more, if it just wasn't that great a morning, or what. It was fun being out there and having the moose come up close (in fact one nudged my husband). After the sun rose we went back to our room, and back to bed. I was still freezing. I didn't warm up until after I got up and took a very hot shower.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can only report on where we stayed.

In the Grand Canyon we stayed at the El Tovar. It's the most historic, one of the Fred Harvey hotels, and has a lot of charm. The room we were in was pretty small. Even if you don't stay there and stay at one of the other hotels on the rim, you can eat in their dining room.

For Zion we stayed in Springdale, UT. I can't remember where. It was either the Best Western or the Hampton Inn. I thought I had done a review, but can't find it.

And for Bryce we stayed at the Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon. My tripadvisor review is below:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...Plus_Bryce_Canyon_Grand_Hotel-Bryce_Utah.html

I wanted to come back and add a comment about sunrise at the Grand Canyon. We had been told we couldn't miss it, that it's a magical experience. So we got up super early to do it. It was freezing outside (this was in May). And we were underwhelmed. I don't know if we were expecting more, if it just wasn't that great a morning, or what. It was fun being out there and having the moose come up close (in fact one nudged my husband). After the sun rose we went back to our room, and back to bed. I was still freezing. I didn't warm up until after I got up and took a very hot shower.

I did the sunset/sunrise thing there also with a coworker (it was also in May, but not cold) and honestly I didn't see what the big deal was. Of course, the canyon is beyond magnificent, but the best sunrise/sunsets I have seen have been on my favorite lake- lake Champlain- from the Vermont side (St. Albans Bay) looking over towards the Adirondacks in New York.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did the sunset/sunrise thing there also with a coworker (it was also in May, but not cold) and honestly I didn't see what the big deal was. Of course, the canyon is beyond magnificent, but the best sunrise/sunsets I have seen have been on my favorite lake- lake Champlain- from the Vermont side (St. Albans Bay) looking over towards the Adirondacks in New York.
I guess my point in describing our underwhelming experience was to point out that if all you're going to Grand Canyon for is the sunrise, you'll be driving a lot and missing much.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I guess my point in describing our underwhelming experience was to point out that if all you're going to Grand Canyon for is the sunrise, you'll be driving a lot and missing much.

Yes, I got that and I agree, which was the point of my post you quoted. I also learned long ago that it is much better for me to do slow travel rather than fast. I like to settle in a bit and get to know a place. It's not a marathon, it's a vacation, but everyone is different I guess. I get wanting to see everything- I will sometimes get overly ambitious with my itinerary and then I have to stop myself, breathe and come back to reality.

But - I, too want to see the Utah National Parks, and because of time constraints due to work, when the time comes someday I think I might consider a 10 day guided tour- let someone else do the driving and all the logistics, etc. I am not crazy about living out of a suitcase, though.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There's an app for your phone called "Just Ahead." It costs $20.00, and having just completed our 3rd trip to Yellowstone--but first trip with the app--I recommend it highly. We have in the past (and bought a new one for this trip) used the National Geographic guide which points out highlights as you drive along--and the park general materials and trail guides, of course--but we saw things and learned things with "Just Ahead" that we have not seen, or known, before. There is a "Just Ahead" app for quite a number of National Parks, and I believe they will enhance your experience.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

For dpete: Listen to Luanne. I have also done this kind of thing in one form or another in the past, and I think you're asking a lot of your 14 travelers. To spend many, many hours packed in a bus, only to have the destination experience minimized due to a too-busy schedule will leave them wondering why they spent so much time and money for such an underwhelming experience. It may negatively impact the rest of the week in Las Vegas you have planned.

The South Rim road at Grand Canyon is many miles long, with many turnouts and viewpoints. There is no single viewpoint that is best, and even the time of day makes a difference in the viewing experience, because of the angle of the sun. The views change as the sun moves across the sky. I was just at Grand Canyon a few days ago, and while being an overall magnificent experience, you need time to soak up the place, especially if you haven't been there before. That means time to visit the hotel, the visitor's centers and various historic buildings at the Grand Canyon. Anything less than that will diminish the experience.

Bryce Canyon is a great park to visit for sunrise, more than for sunset. The sun sets on the west side of things, but the most impressive formations are in the easterly canyons. But it's a long way to drive for essentially an hour's experience in the morning.

Zion is a better park to spend time in, if your 14 are interested in hiking or otherwise doing more than looking out the bus windows.

My suggestion: Make it two separate things. Get the bus and do the Zion/Bryce portion of the trip, designed with enough time to enjoy both parks at the appropriate time. Then, later in your week in Las Vegas, arrange a separate overnight trip to Grand Canyon. Drive over, explore the park, stay overnight, see the sunrise, enjoy a great breakfast at El Tovar restaurant, then drive back to Las Vegas.

There are many ways to slice up your time, and many other sites along the way to see that you're skipping because there is no time, or because you don't know about them. The history of the area is worth exploring, and none of it should be rushed. I think trying to pack in too much too fast will decrease the overall enjoyment level of the people riding all that way.

Dave

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a couple of better-than-motel (not more expensive than) rentals with kitchens in Moab to visit Arches & Canyonlands (needed a second because we decided to spend an extra night), and another good one in Monument Valley - highly recommended if you decide to visit; let me know if you want details on any of these.

and one more worthwhile park very close to Canyonlands/Moab = Dead Horse Canyon State Park. And there's Canyon de Chelly ...

We've been to almost all of the above parks described in this thread, and they are all so worthwhile, for however much time you have - multiple days in most, if you have.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have not taken the trip yet. Our trip has been postponed until at least fall this year. We are on a Baltic Cruise now, visiting Lubeck (Germany), Tallinn (Estonia), St Petersburg (Russia, cold!)...reading this thread again and thanks for posting new NP info!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For dpete: Listen to Luanne. I have also done this kind of thing in one form or another in the past, and I think you're asking a lot of your 14 travelers. To spend many, many hours packed in a bus, only to have the destination experience minimized due to a too-busy schedule will leave them wondering why they spent so much time and money for such an underwhelming experience. It may negatively impact the rest of the week in Las Vegas you have planned.

The South Rim road at Grand Canyon is many miles long, with many turnouts and viewpoints. There is no single viewpoint that is best, and even the time of day makes a difference in the viewing experience, because of the angle of the sun. The views change as the sun moves across the sky. I was just at Grand Canyon a few days ago, and while being an overall magnificent experience, you need time to soak up the place, especially if you haven't been there before. That means time to visit the hotel, the visitor's centers and various historic buildings at the Grand Canyon. Anything less than that will diminish the experience.

Bryce Canyon is a great park to visit for sunrise, more than for sunset. The sun sets on the west side of things, but the most impressive formations are in the easterly canyons. But it's a long way to drive for essentially an hour's experience in the morning.

Zion is a better park to spend time in, if your 14 are interested in hiking or otherwise doing more than looking out the bus windows.

My suggestion: Make it two separate things. Get the bus and do the Zion/Bryce portion of the trip, designed with enough time to enjoy both parks at the appropriate time. Then, later in your week in Las Vegas, arrange a separate overnight trip to Grand Canyon. Drive over, explore the park, stay overnight, see the sunrise, enjoy a great breakfast at El Tovar restaurant, then drive back to Las Vegas.

There are many ways to slice up your time, and many other sites along the way to see that you're skipping because there is no time, or because you don't know about them. The history of the area is worth exploring, and none of it should be rushed. I think trying to pack in too much too fast will decrease the overall enjoyment level of the people riding all that way.

Dave

Such a good and practical suggestion to make the Grand Canyon a separate visit from Las Vegas.

Here's a handy sunrise website. http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/NationalParks/ You will want to choose Zion NP VC (visitor center).

For Zion lodging, I suggest the Cable Mountain Lodge http://www.brycecanyonforever.com/ . You are practically in the park. With a tight schedule, it will be helpful. In Bryce spend the extra $$ and stay in the lodge in the park http://www.brycecanyonforever.com/ . We had lots of clouds for our Bryce sunrise which was a bummer, but we still enjoyed our visit a lot.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Where are you staying at RMNP? East or West side?
Last year we stayed on the west side and it was one of best vacations ever. We hiked, hiked, hiked, and hiked some more and could have stayed there never to return.
Trail Ridge Road was fantastic but this is not something you need to rush. Take your time! So many picturesque pull outs and trails all along Trail Ridge Road...
We spent every minute possible in RMNP and did not regret that decision at all.

We are headed to St. George UT this year to visit Zion - even though this will be in July (and no doubt hot) we are looking forward to it. We're used to Arkansas heat and humidity so we're hoping the heat is all we'll have in Utah this July...

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
bbodb1, We'll be staying South/Southwest of the park near Winter Park.
Since many of the family will only be able to stay a few days, I'm looking more for a scenic drive with perhaps small hikes, photo ops, etc.
Also anything of interest in the general vicinity in or out of the park would be appreciated.

I'm also doing some research on my end, but it's always great to hear others' personal experiences!
Thanks!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are in RNP right now staying at Rams Horn Village Resort on the east side. Very convenient to everything. Elk herds love it here. We did the entire Trail Ridge Road yesterday to Grand Lake, including lots of stops. The key is to get out very early.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Head's up to OP and anyone else who has read this thread. I am in the second week of my two-week driving trip through this area. We spent four days in Moab, Utah, so we could visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. I did not know till we arrived that Arches is going through major repaving work at night, and the park is closed from 7PM to 7AM Monday through Thursdays right now. That means no sunrises or sunsets in the Park. Also, they've closed the entire Devil's Garden area (for some reason - I don't know why, or for how long.) So many of the Park's most dramatic sites aren't available. (Landscape Arch, to name one.) Call before you go - or you'll likely be very disappointed. We only spent about five hours inside Arches, spread over two different days. Disappointing.

Canyonlands, on the other hand, was remarkable. Here's one image I took the other evening while waiting for the sunset. :thumbup:

View attachment 4023

Dave
Can I just say that I now consider it a bucket list goal of mine to one day take a vacation somewhere in the Western states with DaveNW. I am certain it would be an unforgettable experience :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Can I just say that I now consider it a bucket list goal of mine to one day take a vacation somewhere in the Western states with DaveNW. I am certain it would be an unforgettable experience :)

That is very kind of you. Thank you! I love to travel - anytime, anywhere, to see this amazing place we call Earth. The Navy took me around the world a couple of times, and I've seen a lot of wonderful places. But I learned early on that no matter where I went, or how long I was gone, there truly was no place like home. When Dorothy was planning to leave Oz, I would have tossed out the Wizard so I could drive the balloon. ;)

Dave