• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visiting National Parks in AZ and UT: where to stay?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
bbodb1, We'll be staying South/Southwest of the park near Winter Park.
Since many of the family will only be able to stay a few days, I'm looking more for a scenic drive with perhaps small hikes, photo ops, etc.
Also anything of interest in the general vicinity in or out of the park would be appreciated.

I'm also doing some research on my end, but it's always great to hear others' personal experiences!
Thanks!

Winter Park is a bit further south from Granby (which is about 20 miles from the west entrance to RMNP at Grand Lake) so your drive will be a bit longer than ours but it was an easy drive when we were there.

Everything on Trail Ridge road is worth stopping and seeing as we spent our entire vacation in RMNP and would have loved to have spent more time there. We did do a couple of longer hikes but I can't remember the actual trail names and I do not have my park map handy. I do recall we hiked out to Lulu City (an abandoned city I believe the trailhead for this was the Colorado River Trailhead), around the Alpine Visitor Center (not just up to the 12K marker but crossed the road and went a few miles out from and back to the Alpine Visitor Center), the Onahu Creek Trail, played a lot on the Alluvial Fan (which is a fun area consisting of a water fall surrounded by rocks of many sizes - I have attached a photo of this area), and just about anything else that caught our attention. As were were driving and spotted something that looked interesting, we'd get out and hike a bit. Never disappointed.

There are a LOT of websites with maps and hiking suggestions but don't forget to check out the NPS map at:
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Attachments

• DSC_0181.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Winter Park is a bit further south from Granby (which is about 20 miles from the west entrance to RMNP at Grand Lake) so your drive will be a bit longer than ours but it was an easy drive when we were there.

Everything on Trail Ridge road is worth stopping and seeing as we spent our entire vacation in RMNP and would have loved to have spent more time there. We did do a couple of longer hikes but I can't remember the actual trail names and I do not have my park map handy. I do recall we hiked out to Lulu City (an abandoned city I believe the trailhead for this was the Colorado River Trailhead), around the Alpine Visitor Center (not just up to the 12K marker but crossed the road and went a few miles out from and back to the Alpine Visitor Center), the Onahu Creek Trail, played a lot on the Alluvial Fan (which is a fun area consisting of a water fall surrounded by rocks of many sizes - I have attached a photo of this area), and just about anything else that caught our attention. As were were driving and spotted something that looked interesting, we'd get out and hike a bit. Never disappointed.

There are a LOT of websites with maps and hiking suggestions but don't forget to check out the NPS map at:
https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Just got back from there and will post a review of the resort and activities when time allows.

It was awesome. We spent a full week- but just two Park days and then a trip to Boulder and also Red Rocks Park and Dinosaur Ridge and the Buffalo Bill gravesite. Did some nice things in Estes Park as well.