• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weird bank/computer issue

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This just seems weird to me, so I thought I'd mention it and see what folks think. Sunday I paid two bills online at Citibank.com. As soon as I was done I thought heck, might as well pay two more due on May 8th. So within a couple minutes I tried to log back on and got a message that the system was temporarily unavailable. Hour later, same message, so I just let it be for two days. Log in today, same message. What the heck? So I call the number given and talk to customer service. She tells me that my Firefox auto-fill is the problem and unless I want to wipe out my entire auto-fill history/usernames on all the websites I go to that I have to access Citibank through Internet Explorer now. Sure enough I can access my account no problem using IE. This just seems so bizarre!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have Firefox and also use Citibank, but not for bill paying and that has never happened to me. I don't know what auto fill is, but I am assuming it puts your passwords in automatically and I never use that kind of thing. I type mine in each time and when I log out everything is erased- my history, everything. I feel it is more secure that way.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Have you cleared your cookies? If not, that could be what's going on.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have Firefox and also use Citibank, but not for bill paying and that has never happened to me. I don't know what auto fill is, but I am assuming it puts your passwords in automatically and I never use that kind of thing. I type mine in each time and when I log out everything is erased- my history, everything. I feel it is more secure that way.

Auto fill may not be the right phrase. In the case of logging in, no matter what I type in the form of www...., there is something internal that is filling the log on to the Citibank website differently (like if you start to type tu...., your computer may auto fill tugbbs...) and cannot be over ridden. The second auto fill comes in if I wipe all my browsing history out (however you'd do that, I didn't want to hear about it), then I can start over and make city bank work in Firefox. But all the other websites that recognize this computer get wiped clean also. Not an issue for banking and cc websites where I have all my million usernames and passwords conveniently taped to the wall near my desk for a burglar to find, more of a problem for my vendor ordering, travel websites, nature websites etc. where I likely will have to change my username and password to get logged in because I don't necessarily remember them (for instance some of my vendors for my drapery business use my account number as my username, some use my business name). Not the end of the world to get all the other logins recalibrated, but easier to bitch and moan and switch to IE for Citibank unless someone knows a way around this.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I never auto fill user names or passwords in any financial sites. If my phone/iPad/computer/whatever vanishes, one less thing to worry about.

Both Safari and Chrome work for me going to either the Citi web site or using the Citi apps on the phone or iPad.

Cheers

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
To removed saved logins from Firefox:

Menu path:

[If running on Windows]: Tools | Options , or
[If running on OSX]: Firefox | Preferences , or
[If running on Linux]: Edit | Preferences

... then Tools | Options | Security | Saved Logins (button)

In the search field, enter citi to limit display to saved logins containing 'citi'
Highlight any citibank entries and press the "Remove" button

Best place to get help with Firefox issues: www.mozillazine.com
This is not affiliated with Mozilla, it is an independent user-helping-user forum like this one, that predates Mozilla's own forum by a number of years.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
More Firefox suggestions:

Sometimes site-specific problems can be fixed by removing your cookies for that site and clearing your cache (already-downloaded copies of the page files).

Menu path:
[If running on Windows]: Tools | Options , or
[If running on OSX]: Firefox | Preferences , or
[If running on Linux]: Edit | Preferences

Clear cookies:
Privacy | Show Cookies (button)
In the search field, enter citi to limit display to cookies containing 'citi'
Highlight any citibank entries and press the "Remove selected" button

Clear cache:
Advanced | Network | Clear Now (button in the Cached Web Content section)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
How can I clear cookies?
So Cliff boots me out of my chair while I'm on the phone trying to coordinate guests arriving from out of town with my mother; presumably he has asked the same questions on his Motley Fool board. I wrongly assumed he'd come down with a fix, but perhaps the fix didn't work. And I saw him read this thread, but I see he has once again asked "how do I clear cookies" when clearly Makai Guy has provided some instruction. I'd smack him, except he's gone back upstairs! I will see what I can do with the instructions and report back. Thanks so much!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Citibank and we used to use Firefox. After years with Firefox, I had to switch over to Chrome. I'm sorry to say that Firefox has become so glitchy it's crazy. Our browser was freezing and crashing two or three times a day. I cleared cookies, I cleared the cache, I did this, I did that, a zillion times. I also had problems with YouTube and other sites.

Finally gave up and switched over to Chrome. The key to a smooth switch was to change preferences so that when we click on an emailed link, it opens in Chrome rather than Firefox. Good luck!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I also was a Firefox fan but as it deteriorated, I switched to Chrome. Much as I don't like Google (or Alphabet as the parent is now called), I hate Microsoft more.:D

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I too prefer Chrome. I use Firefox for a few websites which won't work with Chrome.

I refuse to use IE due to antipathy for MS's power-play in the 90's in which they used its integration with Windows to destroy Netscape Navigator.

"During the antitrust case in 1998, Intel VP Steven McGeady said on the stand that a senior executive at Microsoft told him in 1995 of his company's intention to 'cut off Netscape's air supply'... The first browser war ended with Internet Explorer having no remaining serious competition for its market share. This also brought an end to the rapid innovation in web browsers." -- See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_wars

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Never had this particular problem with Firefox, but had many other problems in the past. Now I only update a few weeks after the updates are offered and when problems persist I reload the program. I hate Chrome- it is invasive and stays open long after it is closed giving a tendency to lock up a computer, I also use Opera from time to time, giving me an alternative to Firefox so I can avoid IE and Chrome. I never use auto-fill on financial sites.

Tamino

Reaction score
The Maikai Guy has the answers to this problem. Operating systems as well as software programs become cluttered and cumbersome as they are repeatedly used. Just clear the associated cookies and the cache as the Maikai Guy describes and all will work as good as new.