TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Westgate timeshare help

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by N luke, Sep 7, 2017.

1. N luke

N luke Guest

Hello, I am looking for some help rescinding a time share with Westgate. I have read loads on here but some of the posts were quite old so I was wondering if I need to know anything else. Please can some one help as I am going out of my mind..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Are you within the allowed rescission timeframe? 10 days in Florida.

N luke likes this.
  3. Passepartout

The Rescission information may be old, but the laws haven't changed, so it's still valid. No point in losing your mind.

Deshawn Bogan and N luke like this.
  4. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

5. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

There is one noteworthy exception to this statement. A few years ago, Florida did indeed amend their rescission statutes to apply not only to developer-direct sales but also to secondary market (resale) FL timeshare transactions. As you have already noted, the rescission period is 10 days in Florida.

I hope that the OP is within his / her rescission period and acts quickly, but we don't really even know the state in which the contract was executed. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    N luke likes this.
  6. Passepartout

It was just a guess on my part because that seems to be where most of those predators roost. But yes, it could have been any of several places where they operate.

N luke likes this.
  7. N luke

N luke Guest

Thanks all for your replies. I sent quite a detailed letter on day 3 of the 10 day window clearly stating that I am exercising my legal right and sent it to the address stated on my contract. It is indeed Florida, I was totally pressured into it with 4 sales people and myself and my wife in a very small room. I will definitely not fall into that trap again. As I am from the UK and am still in Orlando, what am I best to do with the welcome pack and tablet?

8. Passepartout

I'd send it back and be sure to keep the postal receipt in case they try to bill you for them. You could hand it to the sales office, but that would open you up to more abuse- and the hassle of getting proof of dropping it off. I wouldn't.

N luke likes this.
  9. N luke

N luke Guest

Hi all, not sure if this is normal in the US but as stated previously I mailed off my cancellation letter by certified post before the hurricane an I have been tracking it online ever since. On the tracking system it shows that it was collected and signed for at there local post office. Should I be concerned or just be patient? Also I see people on the forum cancelling cards so no more money can be taken, should I cancel my debit card? Only con earn with doing this is how would they then credit my down payment back? Any advise appreciated

10. Passepartout

Patience, Grasshopper. The only date that matters is that the one on the postmark is earlier than the last day of rescission. And the refund can take 45 days, AND they don't have to inform you of the progress. I would not cancel the debit card, but I might keep minimal funds in it and cancel any overdraft protection. If there's no money in it, they can't get it, yet it will still accept their deposit.

Jim

N luke likes this.