• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar or Grand Luxxe Rivera Maya?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We have the option of either of these for Aug but they are both studios. We know we love Lagunamar, been there twice already this yr and I know the studios are doable plus they have grills on ground.
Never been to Grand Luxxe, but heard great things. Their studios have no kitchen or fridge which would be challenging. Do they have grills there to use?
At this point we have booked Lagunamar but have E Plus insurance to change if we want.
Any recommendations?

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Luxxe is great. Going to both in January and will provide comparison after that!

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
At Grand Luxxe, you are more or less a captive if you don't have a car. They do run daily free shuttles into Playa del Carmen, though...oriented to shopping & groceries mostly it seemed, though you would have time for lunch. On the plus side, the lock-off portion of the 2BR unit we had was almost a 1BR unit...with its own small living room. No real kitchen facilities, but I do seem to recall a small refrigerator. At Lagunamar you have cheap bus service to wherever you want to go and a large mall right across the street. The lockoff unit is smaller than at Grand luxxe, with no separate sitting area. At Grand Luxxe, you will likely be on the ground floor with no view...upper floors go to owners. At Lagunamar, every unit has a good view. At Lagunamar, you have a beach...great sand but not so great for swimming (waves & current). Grand Luxxe has no beach that I know of. We found the restaurants a Grand Luxxe to be better and to offer more variety than at Lagunamar, but at Lagunamar, you have the whole island and town to find restaurants in, and many are from very good to outstanding. There are also relatively inexpensive wines, alcohols and cheeses within walking distance at La Europea and Soriana. I understand that Grand Luxxe has now instituted a substantial daily fee that was not imposed the 2 times the stayed there. You will want to check this out. In short, they are both great resorts...each with its plusses and minuses.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. We will stick with Lagunamar for now, we know we love it there but plan to check out Grand Luxxe in the future

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the Cancun Beaches. We own at the Royal Sands and the Royal Haciendas. I have stayed at both the Lagunamar (2 weeks ago) and the Grand Luxxe ( 5 times). The Grand Luxxe is a fabulous property. Their beach is not great, but that's what I think of the Playa beaches. Their studio unit does have a mini kitchen located in a cabinet. Small refrigerator, microwave, coffee etc. The restaurants on property are excellent, I do not cook on vacation so grills are not important to me. You have twice a day maid service, at the Lagunamar it is a once a week tidy service. I am a bit of a gym rat-- the fitness facility at the GL is exceptional, while I thought the ones at the Lagunamar were just ok! Personally I would go to the GL over Lagunamar.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you, sounds wonderful. Do they have a hot tub by the pool area?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes they do but I would never use a public hot tub. My husband contracted eColi from the hot tub at the GL and when we were at Lagunamar 2 weeks ago there were many toddlers and even some young adults with diapers in the hot tub.