• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Lagunamar question

Belstin37

Reaction score
I am interested in buying a lagunamar 2 bedroom...platinum plus....ideally i want to go presidents week.....
1. how easy is it to get presidents week assuming i call the day it comes out
2. what is a fair price for an EOY
3. how easy is it to rent out the studio if i need to only use the 1 bedroom at times for presidents week (assuming i am able to get it depending on question 1 above)

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Resale for lagunamar does not allow you to get access to other vsn locations, since it's a voluntary resort. The only way to exchange is through II or others.

depends on what your budget is, you might want to look for a westin Kierland 2 bedroom lockoff in platinum plus season. This will allot you 148100 star options, and you can book at any vsn resort 8 months out.

I was able to book at lagunamar for Canada march break without issues.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't speak to how easy Presidents Week is to book. I would think that if you are wanting to go every other year or rent the whole 2BR for years you can't, then buy a Plat Plus Lagunamar resale week. Definitely much cheaper than buying direct from Vistana.

As for renting only the studio. I think it may be though. It is really just a glorified hotel room. Something that they can get just about anywhere in Cancun. There are thousands of them in Cancun. While it is Presidents Week, there is a lot of competition out there for hotel rooms. The 2BR would rent much better and more easily. If you only want a 1BR most years, then just buy a 1BR.

Belstin37

Reaction score
makes sense...what is a fair resale price for a 2 bedroom platinum plus eoy?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the annuals sell in the $6000-$8000 range. I would think that EOY would be about half that. Check out listings on Redweek, there are a number of EOY weeks, but it is hard to tell if they are Platinum Plus or Gold Plus.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I haven't had luck with renting. 2br or otherwise and I own oceanview. There is just too much inventory out there.
I haven't found reserving to be too difficult as long as you book early in the 12 month window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
There are some nice Getaway prices there for a 2 bedroom. We already have reservations or I would grab it. We will check it out when on Maui. Thanks for posting pictures

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
There are some nice Getaway prices there for a 2 bedroom. We already have reservations or I would grab it. We will check it out when on Maui. Thanks for posting pictures
This should be on the Nanea thread sorry.

Belstin37

Reaction score
I think the annuals sell in the $6000-$8000 range. I would think that EOY would be about half that. Check out listings on Redweek, there are a number of EOY weeks, but it is hard to tell if they are Platinum Plus or Gold Plus.
Why do u think the annuals for platinum plus sell for 6000-8000. I have seen higher. Just curious where u got that from. Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here was an EOY Plat Plus 2BR that recently sold on eBay for about $3,600. It came with free 2017 usage. Of course, eBay is the lowest price you will usually find, though I would think the free usage helped to prop that price up some. This of course is a single example.

I don't have a lot of experience with following Lagunamar Plat Plus resales, but do remember that most prices you see are asking prices and are fully negotiable.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
That eBay auction was very weird and buyer got a great deal (I bid stupid on that one). A blizzard of attempted swipes came in at the last second and no one got to rebid.
I think Dioxide is in the range but I've seen them go at $12k too. Very few people selling there.

I also agree that you want week 7 buy what it at Lagunamar. Week 7 goes fast there. By fast I mean often before other star options can get in.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
if it went for $3600 on eBay, that's roughly the going rate for that unit with 2017 included.
There is no way it goes for $12k elsewhere, unless you're referring to annual usage.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if it went for $3600 on eBay, that's roughly the going rate for that unit with 2017 included.
There is no way it goes for $12k elsewhere, unless you're referring to annual usage.
The $12k was in direct reference to the range Dioxide mentioned for an annual Platinum plus 2BR LO unit. Sorry for confusion.

That said, In my opinion, just because that $3,600 was the final price for that auction I would not consider that as the rough market but rather one data point. Given lack of supply currently market for 2 BR Platinum plus is all over the place at Lagunamar.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to how easy Presidents Week is to book. I would think that if you are wanting to go every other year or rent the whole 2BR for years you can't, then buy a Plat Plus Lagunamar resale week. Definitely much cheaper than buying direct from Vistana.

As for renting only the studio. I think it may be though. It is really just a glorified hotel room. Something that they can get just about anywhere in Cancun. There are thousands of them in Cancun. While it is Presidents Week, there is a lot of competition out there for hotel rooms. The 2BR would rent much better and more easily. If you only want a 1BR most years, then just buy a 1BR.
Thought not AI. Which to many is a benefit.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thought not AI. Which to many is a benefit.

True but studios are hardest to rent and not worth the effort.

Last edited:

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
FYI, Week 7 at Lagunamar is an event week. In Phase 1 (buildings 1-9) only 50% of week 7 was sold as Plat Plus, the other 50% as Event week. For Phase 2, 100% of week 7 was sold as Event week. While not nearly as difficult as weeks 51 / 52, it is not that easy to get week 7 at 1 year out, let alone 8 months out.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, Week 7 at Lagunamar is an event week. In Phase 1 (buildings 1-9) only 50% of week 7 was sold as Plat Plus, the other 50% as Event week. For Phase 2, 100% of week 7 was sold as Event week. While not nearly as difficult as weeks 51 / 52, it is not that easy to get week 7 at 1 year out, let alone 8 months out.

Does anyone know how the breakdown of event weeks 51 and 52 were sold for the 2 phases? I thought Phase 1 only had some (not all) weeks 51 and 52 as deeded event weeks... or was that Phase 2?

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I bought the one on eBay. I was really surprised I got it right at the last second, but I didn't use any sort of trick. Just bid the max I was willing to pay and eBay auto rebid for me. Of course, I had already rented in June before I won the auction. I'm looking to rent a second week in June as we haven't closed yet (the owner or reseller won't let us book the 2017 week until it closes), and I'm already paying for my family to fly into Cancun in June. So, if anyone wants to rent me another week so we don't have to move locations, please PM me.

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
Pacman777,

All event weeks sold at the same percentages. Phase I - Week 7/51/52 - Sold as 50% Event Week and 50% Platinum. Phase II Week 7/51/52 - Sold as 100% Event Week.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pacman777,

All event weeks sold at the same percentages. Phase I - Week 7/51/52 - Sold as 50% Event Week and 50% Platinum. Phase II Week 7/51/52 - Sold as 100% Event Week.
Technically Laguna Ma has four phases

VaMtnMan

Reaction score
Hello TUG members. This is my first post on TUG, but I have been reading it off and on the last several years. The only place we have ever stayed that was a Timeshare, has been Lagunamar in Cancun. We are lucky enough to have relatives that own 4-5 timeshares, mostly in Harborside. Anytime we want to go, we just have to pay the Maintenance fee and the week is ours.
Of course like most people we usually take the Timeshare tour at the resort to get the benefits. In October 2016, we took the tour and they took us into Building One and showed an the Ocean Front Unit. We loved it, and if they could have told us we could stay in that same unit each year, we might have bought New. lol
But my question is, what exactly does a Platinum or a Platinum Plus week get you? We like to stay Mid October, and really don't mind if we stay at this resort every time. But we have stayed in building 14 oceanfront and building 10 staring at the building next to ours. Does the Platinum guarantee you an Oceanfront building (buildings 1, 9, and 14)?
Thanks in advance

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You have to buy a unit that is deeded "ocean side" to own that view.

Be aware that you cannot trade Lagunamar for other Vistana/Starwood timeshares, because you don't get Staroptions with a resale.

However, it's definitely not a good value to buy from the developer for Staroptions, because you will pay top dollar, and then lose 90% as soon as you walk out the door, because the resale value is so low.

I would only buy here if you want to go to Lagunamar every year and you buy resale.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Platinum Plus is a season at Lagunamar, as is Gold Plus. October is Gold Plus season. In order to guaranty an Ocean Side View (as they call it), you need to buy it. Ocean Side isn't just bldgs 1,9 and 14, it is only certain units in those buildings. They are the ones on the end cap that face out. We are in bldg 9 right now and could be in a unit one could consider ocean front/side, but it isn't designated as such. Unless you are staying on a home resort week that is deeded Ocean Side, any StarOption trade is probably not going to get one of those unless you are a high level Elte owner or lucky.

Gold Plus season Lagunamar weeks are usually sold pretty cheap on the resale market. One was given away free a few months back, but for the most part they run a couple thousand dollars. I would say that Ocean Side units are not real cheap. I don't have a gauge on how much they cost since they tend to be rather rare on the resale market. That said, any owner home resort stay should at least get you a high floor at Lagunamar, which is probably the most important factor when it comes to view.